Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving a BEC: The myth
40inches

posted on 14/10/14 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Driving a BEC: The myth

A lot is said about how a BEC is useless for touring, is frenetic and almost undrivable in traffic
So I have put a video on the Tube showing how it really is. This was taken on a hot day in May, I popped over to a mates, this is part of the return journey.
I wasn't in any hurry, so was happy to poddle along (well, most of the time) There is a bit of action after about 9 minutes.
At around 6 minutes in I was going up a reasonably steep hill, going past Mach#1 actually, at a steady 30mph in 6th gear.
You can see the gear indicator near the 8 in the bottom right hand corner.
The conversion by YouTube has ruined the 1080 HD and cocked the sound up, although the various knocking and rattles are caused by me, not closing the lid on the enclosure properly

[Edited on 14-10-14 by 40inches]

kj

posted on 14/10/14 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
I love my BEC drives better than my x_flow and the sound is amazing

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

40inches

posted on 14/10/14 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kj
I love my BEC drives better than my x_flow and the sound is amazing

Watching some of my videos tonight has brought it all back
I had to go into the garage and look at the Jag engine, to convince myself that I had done the right thing
If ZX12 engines hadn't been so expensive things would have taken a different direction

[Edited on 14-10-14 by 40inches]

kj

posted on 14/10/14 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Jag engine, which one. I would love a 1200 or 1400 Kawasaki like you say the price

40inches

posted on 14/10/14 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kj
Jag engine, which one. I would love a 1200 or 1400 Kawasaki like you say the price

AJ30 V6 240bhp and 220 torques that's with all the emissions crap on it. Nice light, revy'ish (7200 rpm max) engine, the engine and box have cost less than £350

russbost

posted on 15/10/14 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
I find the Furore with the ZZR1400 in will happily trundle along with the traffic at around 25-30mph in 6th gear. Motorway cruising is a fairly relaxed 4750rpm at around 70mph. In both situations if you want real performance just drop a few gears & open her up!

What a lot of people forget about bike engines is that there is usually around a 1.5/1.6 reduction gearing between the engine (where BHP & torque figures are taken) & the gearbox, hence 100ft/lbs (the ZZR1400 has 113) becomes around 150/160ft/lbs by the time it's found its way to the gearbox - if you're using a chain drive to the diff as I do you also have very little loss between the gearbox & the wheels!

I never understood the fascination with the early 893cc 'Blade engine, might have been great in a bike, but far from ideal in a car, I think that's where a lot of the talk about lack of torque stems from.

[Edited on 15/10/14 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
r1_pete

posted on 15/10/14 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Those roads look damned familiar......

I don't see why people claim becs are useless in traffic / pootling, bikes have to do it often enough....... I did best part of 25K miles on an R1, with plenty of town riding....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gaz_gaz

posted on 15/10/14 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
I toured 2600 miles around the Alps, Dolomites and French Italian/Riviera, this summer in a fireblade MNR
An experiance I'll never forget.. And a joy from start to finish. BEC will do anything a CEC will do. Just you'll have a bigger grin.

coyoteboy

posted on 15/10/14 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
The high idle and the fact that you have to slip the clutch probably more than you do on a CEC (or when you're on a bike with the same engine) when pootling about traffic is about the only place I can see it making a difference, otherwise it's just physics - you have the same torque, its just after gearing, and it sounds different. It takes bugger all torque to pootle about slowly so there's no logical reason it should not be possible in a BEC.

ReMan

posted on 15/10/14 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Great thread, should be made a sticky in the BEC section . "Admin!"

I know we're biased here, but I built mine with the poxy 893 Blade engine as it suited my budget 8 years ago.
I bought into the BEC idea and having got a passenger trip round Donnington in one (remember the days when the Kit show had the track too)
I always worried that when I got it on the raod that I might be dissapoinetd myself with the foibles of it.

It couldn't have been further from the truth and in reality and it did and still does exceed my expectations of it, considering this was a '92 engine earliest of the early!

Last year I upped the diff from 3.62 to 3.38 which has just taken the edge of the rubber burning starts, but dropped the revs at 70mph from 7000 to 6450, not much I know, but hoping to Turbo soon anjd get the top end advantage of the taller diff.

Anyway you have to consider that even with this engine I can do, 30, 40 or 50 mph in ANY and ALL gears!
Tootle around , short shift and never go over 5-6000 rpm then find a good straight bit on my private road, drop it down a few gears and hit the loud pedal and use 10000 revs and its a different beast and never fails to put a grin on and tingle those hairs!

There are other engines, I'd have a a CEC, nothing against them AT ALL, but as most BEC'ists will concur theres no better match, than that fits the character(istics) of a 7 with a LIGHT engine in a LIGHT car to get the best of it

That is all ;-)

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

russbost

posted on 15/10/14 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
The high idle and the fact that you have to slip the clutch probably more than you do on a CEC (or when you're on a bike with the same engine) when pootling about traffic is about the only place I can see it making a difference, otherwise it's just physics - you have the same torque, its just after gearing, and it sounds different. It takes bugger all torque to pootle about slowly so there's no logical reason it should not be possible in a BEC.

I can pull away with the engine on idle (around 1100/1200rpm) without touching the throttle at all, the only time I ever slip the clutch is if I'm being clumsy! You do have to remember that bike clutches run in oil & are made & expected to slip slightly anyway on initial enagement.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
whitestu

posted on 15/10/14 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I love bike engines but would still be put off by lack of a proper reverse. Do electric reverse systems really work well enough to back up a steepish drive?
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 15/10/14 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, they will. Those based on car engine starter motors have plenty of reversing ability, limited by the battery you have on board, or your alternator, or both.
kj

posted on 15/10/14 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
If you are fit enough to drive your fit enough to push, its like pushing a bare chassis

40inches

posted on 15/10/14 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
I love bike engines but would still be put off by lack of a proper reverse. Do electric reverse systems really work well enough to back up a steepish drive?

I took mine off, hardly ever used it. Only advise I would give is not to park facing down hill, someone WILL park right in front of you.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.