Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cleaning bike chains
locoboy

posted on 18/2/15 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Cleaning bike chains

Hi,

I have a few old bike chains that I have collected rather then throwing them away when they are out of tollerance over the last 12 months and I want to have a go at making some of these bike chain ornaments for a few friends.

For anyone who doesn't know what i'm on about its basically bike chain formed into shapes by sticking a tack weld on each link.

i need to be able to clean then thoroughly though for 3 reasons, 1, to help with getting a decent tack weld and 2, so they don't stink of bike lube and residue when they are completed and 3 so I can get spray lacquer to stick to it to stop it rusting once completed.

Any ideas of what to use or places to take them to get them professionally done, I'd prefer they dont sting of cleaning products afterwords either if possible!

Cheers
Col

ATB
Locoboy

theprisioner

posted on 18/2/15 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ultrasonic cleaner with brasso in water solution, then off the wife's oven for an hour.

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

luke2152

posted on 18/2/15 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
small coke bottle filled with your petrol or your degreaser of choice - feed the chain through the neck, lid on and shake like buggery for a while. Cut the bottle open to get it out as its all tangled and then dry somewhere hot before it rusts
Fatgadget

posted on 19/2/15 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Ornaments from discarded bike chains? Always thought the only use for junked bike chains was turn them into knuckle dusters!
coyoteboy

posted on 19/2/15 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
As per Luke's method works well for me.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.