Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reverse for chain drive.
Jon Ison

posted on 8/1/05 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Reverse for chain drive.

sorry cam don't upload onto this pc, dont ask me why.......

But after lots of fiddlin around i got one that works.....

In short......

Ive ended up with a leccy motor and a 90* worm drive gearbox, one attempt was just a small rubber wheel pushed into sprocket, this worked but ripped rubber to bits,

So...

i put chain around the outside of the rubber wheel, this engages with the rear sprocket and worked ok,

But....

the side loads made the whole gearbox/motor try to twist on its mounting,

So....

i made a short "stub shaft" with taper bearings on each end to take up any slack and resist the twisting, the motor/gearbox pivots on this shaft into and out of mesh.....

i also....

Made a sliding support with a bearing in it to carry the outer end of the shaft (opposite side to gearbox) to keep it square, this also is spring loaded and keeps it out of mesh untill its pulled in,

bet this makes no sense at all, will do a sketch, scan it in post pic.

It all seems not a lot too look at after around 30hours of messin around.....

All i have to decide now is do i pull it in n out with a cable or some sort of solenoid?

Jon Ison

posted on 8/1/05 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
rough sketch....... Rescued attachment reverse.jpg
Rescued attachment reverse.jpg

Rorty

posted on 9/1/05 at 03:17 AM Reply With Quote
All that chain and rubber and right angle drives!
Wouldn't it be more convenient to keep a couple of dwarfs in the boot on short rations and wire an intercom between them and the dash?
Then when you want to reverse, you summon the little power houses who quickly leap out and lean their shoulders against the front lower wishbones.
Or is that just too politically incorrect of me?

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 9/1/05 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Too complicated

You have to feed, clean and exercise the little buggers or they get unruly. There have been attempts to include them in sporting activities before
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A711370
but some people don't appreciate the effort.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Rorty

posted on 9/1/05 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Very interesting. The attractive six figure earnings of some of the "thrown" dwarfs would undoubtedly push the dwarf reversing option beyond the pocket of the average Locoster, so perhaps the electric reverse with all its chain and rubber and right angle drives will have to be investigated further.
I'm sad I missed the Australia Vs Great Britain dwarf throwing event, and as the link to it is broken, I'll never know the result.
With the current demand for dwarfs and the large potential earnings, maybe I should consider becoming one.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 9/1/05 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
maybe complicated, but fitted it don't look it, anyhow its a "locost" version, everything apart from bearings was in garage gathering dust.

Would be to easy to just go out n but one.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.