Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zx10r starting issues
roadrunner

posted on 22/6/20 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Zx10r starting issues

Been struggling to get the zx10 started.
Have a spark and decent fuel pressure but the fuel isn't getting through. Can't smell it from the inlet.

Possible causes are, I haven't done anything with the clutch wire (red/green) should I earth this.
I also have 2 faults showing on the clock that could be related. 25 and 34 codes.
25 is a fault with the gear position switch, but the clocks show a neutral position.
34 is a fault with the butterfly valve from the exhaust. Obviously I don't have one so not connected. I've read on the ZX forum that this might cause a fault with the gear position switch.
What have others done with the butterfly valve.

Regards

Brad

bigrich

posted on 22/6/20 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Brad, when you ignition on does the pump prime or run for a few seconds then stop?
I left the servo motor connected with no cables and mounted it under the scuttle though you can buy an eliminator that plugs in place of the motor.

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

bigrich

posted on 22/6/20 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Brad, when you ignition on does the pump prime or run for a few seconds then stop? What pressure are you getting?
I left the servo motor connected with no cables and mounted it under the scuttle though you can buy an eliminator that plugs in place of the motor.

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

roadrunner

posted on 22/6/20 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Rich.
Heard you the first time. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Yes, pump primes then stops. It's a new injection pump.
What does this servo eliminator do.
Thanks

bigrich

posted on 22/6/20 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
The eliminator just fools the ECU to think it has a servo fitted so gets rid of the fi lamp. What fuel pressure do you have? Believe from memory it's 42psi. Also what have you done with the tip over switch?

roadrunner

posted on 22/6/20 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
The pump is rated at 8.5bar max. The tip over switch is mounted to the scuttle in the correct direction. I thought if the worst happens it will kill the engine.
adithorp

posted on 22/6/20 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I assume it's cranking? Daft one but have you got the fuel feed and return lines the right way around?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

roadrunner

posted on 22/6/20 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cranking fine.
There is no fuel return.

adithorp

posted on 22/6/20 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Cranking fine.
There is no fuel return.

Ah. As I said elsewhere, not that familiar with zx10.
Would it crank if it was a clutch or neutral issue?
Have you checked there's fuel coming up to the motor with the pipe off?

bigrich

posted on 22/6/20 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I guess you have an external pump instead of the in tank bike type. What pressure regulator are you using? Have you just run a pump direct? . Just trying to get an idea of your fuel system

roadrunner

posted on 22/6/20 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Defo got fuel upto the engine and I've fitted an in line pump direct without a regulator.
Was going to earth the clutch switch tomorrow to see if that helps.

[Edited on 22/6/20 by roadrunner]

adithorp

posted on 22/6/20 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't the single line system have s regulator built into the in-tank pump?

bigrich

posted on 22/6/20 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
You must fit a regulator . Direct pressure from the pump is far too high. This may cause the injectors to jam or if it does start the fueling will be very rich all the time. If you say the pump is 8.5 bar rated it's trying to push 120 psi or so into the fuel rail. I'm surprised it's not leaking on the joints etc.

bigrich

posted on 22/6/20 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Doesn't the single line system have s regulator built into the in-tank pump? [/quote

Spot on. &#128513;

roadrunner

posted on 23/6/20 at 05:29 AM Reply With Quote
OK. So which one do I need.
Done a quick search and there are so many options.

Brad

adithorp

posted on 23/6/20 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Can't say what you need specifically (never had to do it) but a couple of thoughts...

You could modify the tank to take the original pump. Think I've read where that's been done but maybe not the easiest answer.

Otherwise you need to put a pressure regulator on it. Which one I don't know but get a good one and not a cheap copy from eBay/china/etc; I've heard of people having issues with them.

roadrunner

posted on 23/6/20 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Can't say what you need specifically (never had to do it) but a couple of thoughts...

You could modify the tank to take the original pump. Think I've read where that's been done but maybe not the easiest answer.

Otherwise you need to put a pressure regulator on it. Which one I don't know but get a good one and not a cheap copy from eBay/china/etc; I've heard of people having issues with them.

Thanks.
The only problem I have with fitting a ZX10R pump is that my tank is plastic and I believe they fit from the bottom.

JimSpencer

posted on 24/6/20 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

The car pictured in my avatar runs a ZX10R, alloy tank, external pump and regulator, down to the 3 bar? (IIRCetc)

So your tank and Pump will, probably, be fine - just need to know the output pressure of the pump and get a regulator to suit.

If you're looking for brands then ones I've used and would be happy to use again (but there will be lots of others):-
Malpassi or Sytec, both do adjustable injection regulators with gauges, so you can fit and adjust yourself.

HTH

roadrunner

posted on 24/6/20 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
I'm using a sytec pump.
Max pressure of 8.5 Bar.
Max flow rate 264 ltr/hrs.
Flow rate at 3 bar 201 ltr/hrs. (44psi)
Flow rate @ 5 bar 165 ltr/hr. (73psi)

Brad

JimSpencer

posted on 24/6/20 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Ok so way over pressure, but a simple fix, get a sytec pressure regulator to drop that down to 3 bar and you're sorted.

roadrunner

posted on 24/6/20 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Jim, Adi and Rich.
roadrunner

posted on 25/6/20 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
One last question.
Would it be OK to mount the regulator at the back of the car so the return is shorter or is it best practice to mount in the engine bay.

JimSpencer

posted on 25/6/20 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

As I understand it (Adi and Rich will probably have more relevant direct experience here) it's technically correct to have the regulator near to the fuel rail to ensure even fuel pressure when using it 'enthusiastically'!

On my installation it's actually adjacent to the pump, which is right next to the fuel tank, but that's immediately behind me in the tub and the engine bolts to the back of that, so the fuel line is only half a meter long or so!

If I was running one in a seven from a rear mounted tank then I'd mount the regulator in the engine bay and have a long return myself - but I've no experience of doing this to confirm it's required.

Sorry this doesn't really help!

bigrich

posted on 25/6/20 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Modern vehicles regulate in the tank so I see no issue keeping the return short and fitting the regulator on a T piece just after the pump.

I would use a metal T piece over plastic just because of the high pressures involved

adithorp

posted on 25/6/20 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
All things being equal fitting near the tank is the simpler solution. Only issue with that I can see is if the pipe to the front is small diameter, then with lower pressure you might not get the flow rate required.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.