Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC gear lever mounting
pmc_3

posted on 18/9/22 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
BEC gear lever mounting

Hi all, has anyone got any pictures of how the brackets they used to mount gear lever to the chassis? I've got one of the shorter MNR alloy ones https://shop.mnrsportscars.com/collections/controls/products/alloy-g earlever I can't decide on the easiest/neatest way to do it.
Sanzomat

posted on 19/9/22 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Is this for the GTM Coupe noted in your sig or something else? Happy to share how mine is mounted in my Locost 7 but no pictures I'm afraid. Pretty simple on the 7. Basically M10 holes drilled right across the top tubes of the tunnel frames horizontally. A length of M10 allthread studding passed right through the frame. As it goes through it passes through, in sequence, a washer, 2nr M10 plain nuts, 2 more M10 plain nuts, another washer, top hat brass bush M10 internal, 20mm external, turned down to 14mm for half the width of the lever. Lever pivot hole opened out to 14.5, another identical brass bush the other way around, a washer, 2 more M10 plain nuts then two more M10 nuts and another washer. The allthread is slightly shorter than the outside width of the tunnel frame. the outer nuts are tightened (just or you risk crushing the tubes) against the inside of the tunnel frame then the lock nuts tightened against them. The inner nuts are adjusted to position the pivot bushes where you want them side to side then tightened and lock nutted. This has worked fine on mine for many years.
40inches

posted on 19/9/22 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Relatively simple on a Seven as Sanzomat says:
Brake line
Brake line
Reverse panel
Reverse panel

pmc_3

posted on 19/9/22 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanzomat
Is this for the GTM Coupe noted in your sig or something else? Happy to share how mine is mounted in my Locost 7 but no pictures I'm afraid. Pretty simple on the 7. Basically M10 holes drilled right across the top tubes of the tunnel frames horizontally. A length of M10 allthread studding passed right through the frame. As it goes through it passes through, in sequence, a washer, 2nr M10 plain nuts, 2 more M10 plain nuts, another washer, top hat brass bush M10 internal, 20mm external, turned down to 14mm for half the width of the lever. Lever pivot hole opened out to 14.5, another identical brass bush the other way around, a washer, 2 more M10 plain nuts then two more M10 nuts and another washer. The allthread is slightly shorter than the outside width of the tunnel frame. the outer nuts are tightened (just or you risk crushing the tubes) against the inside of the tunnel frame then the lock nuts tightened against them. The inner nuts are adjusted to position the pivot bushes where you want them side to side then tightened and lock nutted. This has worked fine on mine for many years.

It's a Dutton Phaeton I'm doing a restomod on.

2022-07 -11 13.18.03 by Pete Clayton, on Flickr

Thanks for the suggestions I hadn't thought of doing it that way.

ReMan

posted on 19/9/22 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Heres mine.
Still working!
Rescued attachment g2.JPG
Rescued attachment g2.JPG

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

nick205

posted on 21/9/22 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Excuse my lack of knowledge here - do these work with puch/pull cables to change the gears?
40inches

posted on 21/9/22 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Excuse my lack of knowledge here - do these work with puch/pull cables to change the gears?

Yes Nick, or in my case rods/tubes
Shiny Gearlever
Shiny Gearlever

[Edited on 21-9-22 by 40inches]

nick205

posted on 21/9/22 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Yes Nick, or in my case rods/tubes
Shiny Gearlever
Shiny Gearlever

[Edited on 21-9-22 by 40inches]

Thanks - thinking about it, on a motorbike you'd be changing gear with your foot pushing/pulling a lever directly connected to the gearbox.

ReMan

posted on 21/9/22 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
My picture above is the lever driving a push pul cable

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.