Author: Subject: Beck's BEC.
Rorty

posted on 18/5/05 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Beck's BEC.

Here's a pic of Dave Beck's blown engine. Rescued attachment Beck_blow.jpg
Rescued attachment Beck_blow.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
madman280

posted on 19/5/05 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
Damn, that is one scarey looking engine. What engine is it? Looks quite allot like my air cooled GS 1000 engines I was asking about in another post. Any idea what caused the failure?
Rorty

posted on 19/5/05 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
It's definitely a Suzuki toaster and I'm pretty sure it is an over bored 1000cc lump, though I don't know the exact model.
Failure? Too much too quick? I really don't know. They're a strong engine for a bike, but don't cut it quite as well in a car.

Cheers, Rorty.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
madman280

posted on 21/5/05 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
Rorty, Who's Dave Beck and where did you find the picture?
Rorty

posted on 21/5/05 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
I believe he's from the US, at any rate, that's where the photo was sent to me from.

Cheers, Rorty.

madman280

posted on 21/5/05 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Being that I'm considering using a GS enging in my lotus clone, I was a bit concerned when I saw that picture. So I've done a bit of research. I noticed that the rods in that picture are copper coloured and knife edged, something I've not seen on a modified GS before. I asked a few others about it and someone mentioned that the prostock drag bikes use the GS engine, and they might be a product of Falicon engineering. Seems they could be. http://www.faliconcranks.com/suzgs.htm
then a google search for Dave Beck turned this up http://www.eurodragster.com/news/features/dave_beck.asp It seems dave is a British Prostock drag racer and in the story he says the engines are 1650cc's aaaand produce way over 300hp! so no wonder it broke like that. Makes me a bit more comfortable in using a GS now. Thanks Rorty

OX

posted on 21/5/05 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
i used to fit the odd tyre to his drag bike wheel every now and then,havent seen him for a long time now tho,also met the bloke who does his uk dragbike engine rebuilds once on a suzuki course at the wirral ,i got a bollocking the first time i ever fitted him a tyre ,i soaped the tyre when fitting it ,so when he tried to pull off from the start the bike just sat there spinning the wheel inside the tyre ,,ooops

Rorty

posted on 21/5/05 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Good bit of investigating. I was way off, though in my defence, the info was second hand.
That's amazing. At 1650cc and with over 300hp it's no wonder the tuing's a grenade.
I still maintain the toasters aren't the best choice for a car though. It's endurance and not just the grunt they require.

Cheers, Rorty.

madman280

posted on 21/5/05 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Rorty,
No worries at all. Was a really nice lead, I appreciate the information. Its good to have people to bounce ideas around with.
I still find that picture disturbing. Its definatly got me thinking that I better make the engines easy to change, maybe with an eye to another type. If I didn't already have these engines I wouldn't even consider them.

CJ

[Edited on 21/5/05 by madman280]

Triton

posted on 21/5/05 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Triumph triple......the Daytona 955i makes for a mental engine in a car....the noise the grunt out does a jap motor anyday..
madman280

posted on 22/5/05 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Triumph triple......the Daytona 955i makes for a mental engine in a car....the noise the grunt out does a jap motor anyday..

Is that an offer?? Would be happy to trade my two GS's for your triple.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.