Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blad rad plumbing help!
chrisf

posted on 15/7/05 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Blad rad plumbing help!

Gents:

A couple questions. First, what is the appropriate radiator cap pressure for a 98 blade? I’m using a Honda Civic radiator and need to know what cap to buy.

Second, it’s been suggested to me that I cap off the overflow nipple on the rad. The idea was that I would use the bleed off the water pump. Does this sound right or should I do the following:

1.) Run a T section that connects to the overflow bottle.
2.) Run one end of the T to the rad itself
3.) Run the other end to the bleed on the water pump.

Any help is appreciated.

--Thanks, Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/7/05 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris

Just a quick reply as Im being shouted at to hurry up by the missus as we're off out , but this is how I had my two blade engines plumbed in, both the a fairly early (flat rather than concave) blade radiator.

97 engine

pre 98 blade plumbing
pre 98 blade plumbing

99 Engine

98/99 blade plumbing
98/99 blade plumbing

Im not sure if it exactly answers your question or not, but might be useful

cheers

Chris

Hellfire

posted on 15/7/05 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Chris - the pipe you have from the small port on the rad. Is that the two-way overflow?

Mark18

posted on 16/7/05 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Would that diagram for the '97 work with a '95 engine?

Mark

"I don't know what I may seem to the world. But as to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than the ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 16/7/05 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Hellfire, are you talking about the one on the rad cap of the radiator that looked in my diagram that it went into that other hose, or the one directly below the rad cap that goes into the Y piece? If the former, that wasnt actually joined into the plumbing system, it was just the way it looked in the diagrams so Ive edited them now to make it clearer. If the latter, then that hose was a fairly small one comin off the top of the rad and joined the bleed off the top of the thermostat housing, so could go into a tank return at the top of the expansion tank rather than at the bottom, but the ST tank I had was made with two small outlets at the bottom and that was how he said to plumb it in, it all seemed to work fine for me.
Mark, yep the pre 98 one should be OK for a 95 blade, the only significant change on all the carb engines was the remote external thermostat housing on the 98/99 engine. Some engine years also had the odd extra pipe going into the head under the carbs but I dont think yours will.

Chris

Chris

[Edited on 16/7/05 by ChrisGamlin]

chrisf

posted on 16/7/05 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Gents:

Thanks for the help. Any idea on the appropriate radiator cap pressure?

--Chris

ChrisGamlin

posted on 17/7/05 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure, I had the stock blade cap so maybe you can find out what that pressure is from the manual?
Im currently running a standard cap on my R1, I think its around 13lb release pressure and seems fine, Ive also got a race one with the red release handle which is 19lb I think, but not sure it would be necessary.

andrew.carwithen

posted on 17/7/05 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisf
Gents:

Thanks for the help. Any idea on the appropriate radiator cap pressure?

--Chris

According to my Haynes manual, (which only covers 893cc and 919cc blades from '92 to '97) radiator cap opening pressure is 16 to 20 psi (1.1 to 1.4 bars.)

Can't imagine it'd be much different on a '98 engine....

Andy.

chrisf

posted on 17/7/05 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again all!

--Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.