Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: difference in performance
Toady1

posted on 10/3/06 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
difference in performance

Whats the difference in all round performance between the fireblade and hayabusa engine? obviously i know theres an extra 400cc's and 50 odd bhp etc, but has anyone had both or been in both that can give me an idea?
cheers!
Liam

smart51

posted on 10/3/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've not been in either either but I can give an educated guess. The busa will have a lot more torque and so will accelerate harder in each gear. The blade may (I don't know) rev a bit higher so that you can hold on to each gear a bit longer. The busa has 40% more power one way or another and so it is going to be noticably quicker. Oh, and as the top speed might be higer as well, the speed at which acceleration starts to wain will be higher.
Lightning

posted on 10/3/06 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
No intelligent data to offer, but on the last track day the busa powered Westfield shot past my Blade

Steve

skydivepaul

posted on 10/3/06 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
depends whose driving. last track day i passed a busa engined westy in my MK Indy R1.

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

DIY Si

posted on 10/3/06 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Why do you need to know? Neither's slow! Are you upgrading or looking from a fresh build view? And as already said, it will depend who's driving. Straight line the 'busas should dissapear off into the distance, but rounds the twisties the man/women with the bigger balls will dissapear. Given everything else is the same of course.
kb58

posted on 10/3/06 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
It's all hp/weight, torque is meaningless. HP ratings take torque into account.

That said, it's likely the only difference between the two will be "Holy Cow!" versus "Oh crap!" Do you care which you have?

[Edited on 3/10/06 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
OX

posted on 11/3/06 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
they are all good fun but the blade feels rather flat ,i have been in both,the blade is ok up to 100 mph but then it starts to struggle
stevebubs

posted on 11/3/06 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul
depends whose driving. last track day i passed a busa engined westy in my MK Indy R1.

Not a turbo, was it?

OX

posted on 11/3/06 at 01:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul

he must of been on his cooling down lap

Toady1

posted on 11/3/06 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
reason for asking is that im looking at buying a blade engined car, and may buy a busa engine to put in at a later date. Obviously i know that the weights being relatively similar there is going to be a difference, just wanted to know how much of one really. Im a mechanical engineer so can clearly imagine the obvious effects, am just doing some research into the differences before i go ahead with my choices. cheers for any help.

[Edited on 11/3/06 by Toady1]

Ferrino

posted on 11/3/06 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
the weights being relatively similar
Err, the Busa pays quite a significant weight penalty over the 1-litre engines - something in the region of 20kg IIRC. That would eat into some of the BHP difference.

Hellfire

posted on 11/3/06 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Can't speak about Busa, but our mildly modified ZX12R which is allegedly better suited to 7's than a similarly modified Busa is comparable.

The engine is smoother to drive as it has little or no power band as the blade does. (We have had a blade engine too - no longer tho'

I'd agree with Ox that the performance difference isn't 'miles' apart as you would expect but there IS a difference. You know you have more torque as the larger engine can continue to pull from higher speeds.

Make no mistake tho' the blade engine is VERY fun

OX

posted on 11/3/06 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
[Edited on 11/3/06 by OX]
JoaoCaldeira

posted on 11/3/06 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Beyonf the engine weight you have to think in the wet sump (cost and weight) for the 'Busa

Joao

OX

posted on 12/3/06 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
my car is probably 40 or more kgs heavy than my brothers r1 and i am 24 kgs heavier than my brother but it still pulls away from him but the overall drivability makes it worth the extra money,to me . if i built another one it wouldnt have a dry sump and i wouldnt need a spare set of wheels so i could get the price down to 8000 ,it would still be heavier but at only £1500 more .the grin factor aloan is worth more than that
kb58

posted on 12/3/06 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoaoCaldeira
Beyonf the engine weight you have to think in the wet sump (cost and weight) for the 'Busa

Joao

You mean dry-sump.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 12/3/06 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
There is little (very little) too choose between the front running class A RGB's (Busas, ZX12's) and the front running class C RGB's (919 blades).

Toady1

posted on 12/3/06 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
so basically are we saying that its worth the extra couple of grand to go for the busa powered cars or not?

does anyone know the performance figures of 0-100 or 1/4 mile for the blade and busa engines in a bec weighing approx 450kgs?

OX

posted on 12/3/06 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
no i think for a long time people have thought that the busa is to expensive for the little extra that you get ,on paper if you look at lap times and weight it might not look like its worth it but its the raw power that is felt that makes me think its worth the extra.you need to get a ride in one to see for your self
Hellfire

posted on 12/3/06 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toady1
so basically are we saying that its worth the extra couple of grand to go for the busa powered cars or not?

Go for the ZX12R and it won't cost you a couple of grand more. Just a few hundred more for the same performance as a Busa

JoelP

posted on 12/3/06 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
buy the blade one, to see if you like BECs, and than as with all things, you will want more power - that is when you pull out ya wallet!

My old crossflow lump felt lively on the roads but underpowered on track, thats why im putting a zx9 in. If all goes well, i'll then rebuild the full car with a zx12.

Toady1

posted on 12/3/06 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
yeah thats how im thinking. I think i will initially go for a blade engined car, and go for a bigger engine if it comes to it, but as OX says, i need to go for a ride in some first!lol!
ChrisGamlin

posted on 13/3/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ive driven a busa on track several times(as well as my own blade / R1 car) and although the busa is cetainly quicker than the blade, as others have said its not miles different. The main place you loose out it high speed acceleration, coming out of slow corners up to say 70-80mph you wouldnt lose much to a busa car, but after that it will stretch its legs and carry on accelerating as hard well past 100mph, whereas the blade acceleration tends to tail off a bit at higher speeds where outright power is more important than power/weight due to all the drag you need to overcome. As an example of on track performance, my mate's Megabusa would just about hit the limiter in 6th up the Kemmel straight at Spa (after Eau Rouge) so touching 125-130mph, compared to ~115-120mph for my blade which wouldnt hit the limiter.

I have to say though that the R1 bridges the gap quite well so for a few hundred extra Id seriously consider that option (as well as the ZX12).
Ive not had chance to compare mine against my mate's recently (as his busa now has a turbo) but I drove his car and another almost identical Westie with an R1 engine in it on the same day at Llandow a year or so ago, and the pull of the R1 isnt far off. I think above 100mph the busa would still have an advantage but below that there is a slight difference, but not very much.

If you work out the power / weights of all three that backs up the feeling because the R1 car is far closer to busa power to weight than it is to blade p/w once you factor in the 30kg weight penalty of the busa / ZX12.

Chris

Toady1

posted on 13/3/06 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
cheers chris, a very helpful answer!
GeorgeL

posted on 19/4/06 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone actually have any performance stats. Not really interested in 0 - 60, but what about 0 - 100 and 1/4?

G

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.