Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blade engine dates - SVA
loafersmate

posted on 30/4/03 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Blade engine dates - SVA

Has anyone contacted Honda directly to get confirmation of their engine build date?? If so do you have a contact name and address.

Cheers

Ben

ChrisGamlin

posted on 30/4/03 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Havent done it personally but had a mate who did for his Megablade, bear in mind though that it can take up to 8 weeks if they need to send off for info from Japan, and costs around £30 for the privilege.

You need to contact Honda UK, not sure which department though, but you should be able to find a number on their website somewhere.

Chris

StuartA

posted on 30/4/03 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
AndyD and myself did it although we can't remember where we got the address. Bear in mind that you need to tell them if you want the month as well (otherwise they will just tell you the year). Our engine was out of a '96 bike but we were hoping it might be manufactured pre-August 95. No such luck!
Jon Ison

posted on 30/4/03 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
I am told if it starts "SC28" then you are ok..........not sure how true that is, but mine does.......

ChrisGamlin

posted on 30/4/03 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Seems very variable what an SVA examiner will / wont accept (no change there then! )

See this Westfield forum thread

Chris

andyd

posted on 30/4/03 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Right then, now I'm at home and can have a look this is the deal.

You need to send a letter to: -
Motorcycle Customer Relations
Honda UK
470 London Road
SLOUGH
Berkshire
SL3 8QY

Ask for a dating certificate (even though they just sent back a letter) and enclose a cheque for £29.37. They'll need the frame/chassis number and the engine number. If you haven't got the frame number they may still be able to get the info with just the engine number.

You may want to call them first to make sure of the price etc. I found the info via their website and then gave them a call.

The first letter they sent only had "1995" on it (as Stuart said) so I called the lady who had signed the letter and told her what I needed. She said that she'd try to get the exact manufacture date from Japan and then contact me back. She called and confirmed Nov 1995 and then sent an official letter shortly after. Not the answer I wanted but she got the info and for no extra charge. Kirsten Boast is her name so if you get to deal with her then she'll know what you need.

Timescale wise it wasn't too bad. I sent a letter on 29th Feb, got the first letter back on 3rd Mar got the call and second letter about 12th Mar.

HTH

[Edited on 30/4/2003 by andyd]

Andy

loafersmate

posted on 1/5/03 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
engine No's

My engine is an SC28E so I'm hoping it will be ok............Sva is 17th June so I should have time to get a letter.

Thanks all.

Ben

Jon Ison

posted on 1/5/03 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Does it have "893cc" cast in the block ? if it does i'm 99% certain they are pre 95 too, hence all 893's start SC28

loafersmate

posted on 2/5/03 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
numbers

yup....it's an 893 alright.

Cheers

Ben

andyd

posted on 2/5/03 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
You shouldn't have a problem with nasty CAT's then but you'll still need the official letter from Honda to prove to the SVA guy that's it's pre Aug '95 so he won't test the emissions at the current levels.

It's only £30 for total peace of mind 'cause he can't argue with an official letter from Honda. Well he could but you can roll it up and beat him over the head with it until he submits.

Andy

loafersmate

posted on 2/5/03 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
My test is at Derby......anyone know if they need beating over the head??

Ben

Jim

posted on 2/5/03 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
I took my Indy Blade to Derby. They were very fair. It failed one test on emissions and sharp edges. We had the car running for the emissions test for about an hour while we struggled in vain to get the emissions down. They did not like the pipe lagging onthe front suspension etc.

All in all we have taken two cars to derby and they seemed very good and reasonable

Jim

Ps Loafersmate, Just looked at your profile. I was at Blyton near Gainsborough a couple of weeks ago to play on a track there. Not a bad day, lots of fun blasting round and it was only £45 for the entire day. We had two indy baldes there and they were the fasting things on the track.

[Edited on 2/5/03 by Jim]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.