Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mounting ZX9
mistergrumpy

posted on 9/10/06 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Mounting ZX9

Oo er. Not like that! I've come to one of them annoying stops in my build, the one where you run out of money!, so I was gonna knock up a cradle for the engine with some bits I have. I put the engine inside the front of the chassis and firstly its a tight squeeze and the drive shaft seems to be slightly to one side of centre pointing down the transmission tunnel is this right? Is it worth relocating the oil filter so its not rattling up against the side panel as its real close and lastly what bushes should I use for the upper mounts i.e. the mounts above the main beefy looking one that has rubber ones already on.
Ta

chockymonster

posted on 9/10/06 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Bushes? BEC?
My R1 lump is hard mounted, not a rubber bush in site

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Coose

posted on 9/10/06 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
I used MNR wishbone mounts and bushes.

Spin 'er off Well...

mistergrumpy

posted on 9/10/06 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hard mounted? How does that fare? Do you not get vibrations or premature cracking ot owt? My main mount has bushes with it and was really just wondering about the other mount.

zxrlocost

posted on 9/10/06 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
no bushes on my MK either
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

ch1ll1

posted on 9/10/06 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
hard mounted did for me with no problems

mistergrumpy

posted on 9/10/06 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Right then. I think I've wasted a day trawling round the shops for ideas then. So hard mount it is then. Job for tomorrow as I seem to have hurt my back carrying the engine around No matter.

JoelP

posted on 9/10/06 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
you do get a bit of humming if any panels are loose, but mine is solid too and no probs yet.
mistergrumpy

posted on 9/10/06 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
So if I hum whilst driving, then problem should disappear. Cool.

Peteff

posted on 9/10/06 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I've bolted mine into a cradle which in turn bolts into the chassis, I haven't heard of anyone having problems yet so I'm not going to use bushes. Rescued attachment cradle2.JPG
Rescued attachment cradle2.JPG

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mistergrumpy

posted on 9/10/06 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ah yes. I already have that picture saved for reference. Ta for that.
As a side thing. How high can I mount th'engine above top rail so as to keep it all under the bonnet?

[Edited on 9/10/06 by mistergrumpy]

Peteff

posted on 9/10/06 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
That's the engine with the standard airbox on, it's not like that now. You need to get the sump cut so you can lower it in the chassis, Chris Gamlin's uncle did mine and a few others. I've cut and shut the airbox for now so it's lower but I'll still need to make a hole in the bonnet if I keep it. Rescued attachment sumpmod001.jpg
Rescued attachment sumpmod001.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mistergrumpy

posted on 9/10/06 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah spoke to Chris already ref sump. I don't wanna remove it yet though as the engines still sat on it. I want to try and avoid the engine poking up out of the bonnet if I can as I am a bit worried about water getting in the intake and hydr locking the engine. I've seen this on cars a couple of times and it just stuffs them completely. Am I worrying about nowt here? Mind, I could just put a covered bulge type affair on I suppose.

JoelP

posted on 9/10/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
not a problem unless you're in a total rainstorm - damp intake air will have no ill effect, after all some turbo'd engines use water to cool the charge, and water is a byproduct of combustion anyway.

Chris' uncle did my sump too. I'll have a measure up sometime soon and let you know where it all sits.

mistergrumpy

posted on 9/10/06 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah that'd be really great. Thanks Joel.

mackei23b

posted on 23/10/06 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Hi there

There are a couple of pics in my archive of the cradle (Home Made) and of the engine in the car.

All moutings are solid.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ian

mistergrumpy

posted on 23/10/06 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Nice job on that cradle mate. Do you expect the engine to poke through the bonnet at all? Mind, the Indy has a bonnet scoop anyway doesn't it?

mackei23b

posted on 26/10/06 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there

Mines solid mounted on a home made crade, another pic is in my archive.

Cheers

Ian Rescued attachment Chassis 1.JPG
Rescued attachment Chassis 1.JPG

mistergrumpy

posted on 26/10/06 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Good picture ta. Quite a tilt on the engine, I hadn't thought about doing that. Was wondering how to get the exhaust and oil filter to clear the side. Cheers.

JoelP

posted on 26/10/06 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
you want the sump line level i believe, hence the cylinders lent at the same angle as the bike.
mistergrumpy

posted on 26/10/06 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I thought that would be the case. I've just been propping it with wood kinda either side of the sump lobe and the engine didn't seem tilted so much? Gonna look back through my photos of all your engines now. This would be easier with a winch or summat I guess.

JoelP

posted on 26/10/06 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
well, with mine i sat it on a block of wood, measured how far it was vertically from the bottom of the chopped sump to the two mounts over the gearbox, welded brackets to the chassis to put the sump 1" below the bottom, and then just pivoted it on these mounts whilst i plotted the rest. You can use a jack to adjust it to level and then weld everything else in. Dead easy Complete fluke the bonnet still fitted mind you
Bob C

posted on 26/10/06 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I mounted mine on rubber - no cradle, (pics on my photo archive). Now I've driven it 200yds I must say it's quite civilised in having no vibration to speak of! There seemed no point in not rubber mounting it - it was easier than making a cradle!
Bob

mistergrumpy

posted on 26/10/06 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Plenty of rubber in there Bob! Nice dash pictures by the way. Did you buy it in a kit form or are did you just repair one?

JoelP

posted on 26/10/06 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
There seemed no point in not rubber mounting it - it was easier than making a cradle!
Bob

Not sure if ive musunderstood you, but having a cradle and using rubber mounts are not mutually exclusive, you could have both, either or neither.

I have just use a pair of spars rather than a cradle, and hardmounted it.

Must say yours looks very tidy

[Edited on 26/10/06 by JoelP]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.