Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Start Cut-Off Relay Bypass...
Winston Todge

posted on 31/10/06 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Start Cut-Off Relay Bypass...

I'm just doing some tidying up of the loom and thought about the shorting of the clutch switch and stop switch etc... Why can't the Blue/White wire from the starter cut-off relay just be grounded rather than piddling about with other parts of the loom?

This would mean the Blue/White wire going to the Start relay would always be ground and therefore when 12V was applied to the other side of it, it woulc turn over. I've tried it and there's no problem.

I'm just curious as to whether anyone else has tried this? There's nothing I've missed on the ECU side of things to stop it running correctly is there?

R1 Relay Bypass
R1 Relay Bypass

Ta,

Chris.

[Edited on 31-10-06 by Winston Todge]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chockymonster

posted on 31/10/06 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've done it the other way round and run the blue/white wire to my Starter button. The other side of the starter button goes to ground.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Winston Todge

posted on 31/10/06 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using the R1 fuel pump and relay Paul?

Chris.

TimC

posted on 1/11/06 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
You're probably too far down the track for this, but I'm planning on not using the R1 relay assembly and using a Lucas Starter Solenoid instead.

Can't imagine that it could get any simplere than that.

smart51

posted on 1/11/06 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, just take the blue/white wire from the starter relay to ground. All the other stuff is to prevent bikers from starting when in gear on the side stand and then dropping the bike.
chockymonster

posted on 1/11/06 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winston Todge
Are you using the R1 fuel pump and relay Paul?

Chris.

Yep,

The engine can start without the car loom being powered, I haven't connected the car and bike looms at all and can't see any reason to.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

smart51

posted on 1/11/06 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonsterThe engine can start without the car loom being powered, I haven't connected the car and bike looms at all and can't see any reason to.

You will want the ignition to be off when the key is off on both looms. Both the ignition coils and headlights need to be off when the key is off.

NS Dev

posted on 1/11/06 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
surely you can have headlights on with key off??

Not read anything in the bible about that one

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

chockymonster

posted on 1/11/06 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonsterThe engine can start without the car loom being powered, I haven't connected the car and bike looms at all and can't see any reason to.

You will want the ignition to be off when the key is off on both looms. Both the ignition coils and headlights need to be off when the key is off.

FIA Cutoff switch is my main key

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.