Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Turbo CBR1000F update
Moorron

posted on 22/5/07 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Turbo CBR1000F update

Here are a few progress pictures of my CBR1000F turbo conversion. Ive almost completed the inlet plenum, but I have a few problems. The only turbo bike engine I have seen is the R1, which has a slightly different set up on the carbs. I need to id the float bowl vents and diaphragm vents on mine, I am unsure which is which. To make matters worse the spare engine in the pic has a different set up to my in car engine! Typical.

The differences on the my 2 are simple, on the spare engine there is only one vent pipe per pair of carbs, 6mm ID. On the in car engine there are another set per pair and they are 10mm ID. On the spare engine the ‘missing’ vent pipes are replaced with a machined opening inside the inlet tract (meaning to me they aren’t vents but more like air balance funnels?). Does anyone know which is which so I can connect my plenum up correctly? As usual the Haynes doesn’t show the info I need. I ‘could’ strip the carb down to see where the pipes go, but it seems easier to just ask here first.

The exhaust manifold is all cut up, but until I get my tig set at home I can’t finish it. The oil drain into the sump looks easy as ive mounted the turbo high up so no need for a scavenging pump. I scratched my head about the oil feed for the turbo and from looking at photos on the net of turbo bikes i am going to just tee off the oil pressure switch and ‘HOPE’ the oil pump can keep up. I have also decided to not water cool the turbo, reasons being is its going to be running low boost (5-7 psi) and its going to to be a pain to tap into the water supply off the engine.

Something hardly connected to this post, but I need to pressure test my engine, I have bought a gauge which has an adaptor on it to allow fitment to 2 sizes of spark plug, however they are both too big for my CBR1000F!

Any links to a smaller adaptor that will fit?

[img]/upload/2carbs 3.JPG[/img]

[img]/upload/carb 2.JPG[/img]

[img]/upload/carb 1.JPG[/img]

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

nib1980

posted on 22/5/07 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

Description
Description

[img][/img]

TimC

posted on 24/5/07 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Can't help with the questions I'm afraid - good to see it coming together though.

Didn't see you at Stoneleigh but saw the car. I like all the mods and while I'm probably biassed, I still think it was one of the best cars at the show.

Moorron

posted on 24/5/07 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate, was there with the shropshire lot. Thanks for the comments, i really liked the green one (DAZ) that was parked next to mine, funny how 'ugly bright colors' look great on sevens.

cheers nib for relinking the pictures.

jambojeef

posted on 26/5/07 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Good idea with the bracing from the carbs - I should do that really....!

Only thing is that I would reccomend that you do connect up your water cooling to the turbo housing.

It isnt really to cool down the turbo whilst its running - its more that after the engine is switched off, the water in the centre housing wicks away heat from the bearing cartridge slowly preventing the carbonising of the oil that is left in the bearing.

Even the slightest carbon build up in the bearings can have a significant effect on the oil flow so I would connect it up.

I intially thought like you have and left mine disconnected but I have since plumbed it in - if you need a pic of how I did it let me know - I may not have done it the best way mind you!

Geoff

Moorron

posted on 27/5/07 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Ive seen so many running without the water connected so thought it would b ok.

If its easy to do i will do it. I would love a pic mate. actually lots of pics would help me out of your whole instalation.

tar

[Edited on 27/5/07 by Moorron]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.