Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine ideas
dunk

posted on 3/5/08 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
Engine ideas

Hi i have been reading through the forum for a few weeks now and i thought it was about time i started posting. So here goes, i have a Suzuki offroader and i have upgraded the engine to a 1.6 Vitata engine but the engines are not that strong and crack blocks for fun ( I am now on my 10th). I need to find a cheap lightweight engine to replace it with when the one i have in goes pop. i was thinking along the lines of a 1,8 zetec lump with a type 9 or mt75 box fitted to it but thats as far as i have got. Tbh i am not that hot on these engines with regards what will fit with what. I know the zetec has no dizzy so i will need to find a way round that and deep water and mud don't go well with electrics. The other thing i have been trying to find out is what single carb and manifold i can use on the zetec engine as i need to attach a snorkel to it. Here's a pics of my jeep. Thanks in advance Duncan Rescued attachment DSCF1948.jpg
Rescued attachment DSCF1948.jpg

dunk

posted on 3/5/08 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Another one Rescued attachment Picture 066.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 066.jpg

D Beddows

posted on 3/5/08 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
What's the point of the Suzuki then? competition? fun? your day to day car with added weekend fun? I'm not being difficult but it's an important factor you've not told us I'm also a bit intrigued by the need for a lightweight engine???

I used to build tuned land rover engines for a living and one of those would seem an ideal contender, actually not really much bigger or heavier than a Zetec E to be honest - not quite so many horsepowers perhaps (not far off though if done properly) but quite a lot more torques....probably not the locost option mind you

[Edited on 3/5/08 by D Beddows]

aerosam

posted on 3/5/08 at 05:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dunk
a 1.6 Vitata engine but the engines are not that strong and crack blocks for fun ( I am now on my 10th).

Not just my wife's Vit that happens to then? Rubbish car the vitara, will be replacing it soon.

big_wasa

posted on 3/5/08 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
Single carb on the zetec would be the Dgav 32/36. Manifolds on ebay aimed at the banger racers.

Ignition taken from the ford fiesta, just two wires to run. 12v and earth. Very cheap. I dont know how it would work with the crank sensor submerged in water though.

snapper

posted on 3/5/08 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
All the electrics will need sealing but you know that anyway.
You could easily make the injector electrics and maff sensor electrics watertight and connect the air intake for the maff to your snorkle.
If you removed the injection system you would still need an ECU to drive the spark so make it easy and just instal the lot as Mr Ford intended, that way if you blow another engine it will be a simple job to slot in another.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

adithorp

posted on 3/5/08 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
You'll have to find a way of stopping the spark plug gallery (best description I can think of) from filling with water. We've had several come into work with horrendous missfires that turn out to be flooded between the cams where the plugs are...and thats on Focus' (should that be Foci).

adrian

dunk

posted on 3/5/08 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your replies.

D Beddows. Its a fun thing. I do intend to do a few trials in it at some point. The zuke is an offroader only as i have a welded rear diff. I will go back on the road at some point as i have a spare diff. The Land Rover engine is a bit on the large size for the engine bay, i am looking for a small cheap and easy to fing engine. Lightweight is the key to the suzukis success offroad. At just under 1200 kg it skips over stuff that Land Rovers just get bogged down in. So i don't want to loose that advantage.

aerosam. Yes the engines are rubbish but i have to say they dont get an easy life in my Suzuki. The engine is given plenty of beans most of the time.

big_wasa. If my memory servs me right that carb is the pinto carb? So what manifold is it a specially made one or from the Ford range. I like the sound of just two wires and a crank sensor. That sounds like just the thing i was after. Any special type or year of fiesta ? I will have to try to find a way of keeping the crank sensor clean.

Snapper. I would love to keep the injection but i think it may be to much stuff that is going to get wet. My Suzuki regulary goes over the dash with water so the less electrics and more simple it is the better.

Had a thought last night. I wondered if i could fit an auto box to a zetec as auto offroad is awesome. Duncan

dunk

posted on 3/5/08 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
You'll have to find a way of stopping the spark plug gallery (best description I can think of) from filling with water. We've had several come into work with horrendous missfires that turn out to be flooded between the cams where the plugs are...and thats on Focus' (should that be Foci).

adrian

Yeah i had thought of that and the only things i could think of was using the offroaders friend silicone and if that dont do the trick then silicone it up and use a compressor or an air horn to put positive pressure in there so the water stays out.

Peteff

posted on 3/5/08 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
You could look at a Kia Sportage engine, 2.0 16 valve Mazda derived , already 4wd Getrag gearbox. I bought one when my van went and it's a nice motor.

[Edited on 3/5/08 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

coozer

posted on 3/5/08 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Right then, here we go... how about a Corsa 1.5TD or Astra 1.7TDi??

Its a Isuzu engine, small and gives good torque and power, very easy to fiddle with the pump and get it flying.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

zilspeed

posted on 3/5/08 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Single carb on the zetec would be the Dgav 32/36. Manifolds on ebay aimed at the banger racers.

Ignition taken from the ford fiesta, just two wires to run. 12v and earth. Very cheap. I dont know how it would work with the crank sensor submerged in water though.

Oohh, likey !

I know it's very low tech, but that manifold idea is V. Locost to me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mondeo-manifold-for-banger-raci ng_W0QQitemZ190218442332QQcmdZViewItem Rescued attachment dc2c_1.jpg
Rescued attachment dc2c_1.jpg

dunk

posted on 3/5/08 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Right then, here we go... how about a Corsa 1.5TD or Astra 1.7TDi??

Its a Isuzu engine, small and gives good torque and power, very easy to fiddle with the pump and get it flying. [/quote

Nice idea. Its been done may times before with a manta gearbox. There are a few things i dont like about fitting that engine. One is the weight as its a heavy lump and the other is you have to go spring pearch over axle as the sump is to low and i dont like spoa zukes as they are to tippy and tend to fall over alot.

big_wasa

posted on 4/5/08 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
yep two wires to run and three plugs and a vacume pipe to conect to the engine.

Coil, crank position, water temp. and a vac connection for the advancing the ignition.

demo

NS Dev

posted on 4/5/08 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi i have been reading through the forum for a few weeks now and i thought it was about time i started posting. So here goes, i have a Suzuki offroader and i have upgraded the engine to a 1.6 Vitata engine but the engines are not that strong and crack blocks for fun ( I am now on my 10th). I need to find a cheap lightweight engine to replace it with when the one i have in goes pop. i was thinking along the lines of a 1,8 zetec lump with a type 9 or mt75 box fitted to it but thats as far as i have got. Tbh i am not that hot on these engines with regards what will fit with what. I know the zetec has no dizzy so i will need to find a way round that and deep water and mud don't go well with electrics. The other thing i have been trying to find out is what single carb and manifold i can use on the zetec engine as i need to attach a snorkel to it. Here's a pics of my jeep. Thanks in advance Duncan

Hi, good to see something different on here!!

Personally, I would shun Ford stuff on this one and turn to vauxhall.

Go for a Vauxhall Carlton 2.0 ohc single cam engine and rwd gearbox.

The GM gearbox is nice and short and quite strong (the shift/lever assembly shortens very easily)

The engines are absolutely bulletproof, and you can just install it with the standard injection still attached, just piped up to the snorkel. So long as you rubber bag the ecu it will be fine.

The crank sensor on these is inside the crankcase so no issues there.

They are 115hp as std, or you could just go for the carlton gearbox and bolt on the front wheel drive cavalier sri 8 valve engine which is 130hp as std.

I sugegsted the carlton 115hp one as they are slightly torquier low down in the rev range and its less work to fit it.

This conversion has been done a few times to lada nivas so you may have seen it done before.

If you need any help I have fitted these engines to most things over the years, though not a suzuki jeep yet!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 4/5/08 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
PS if you dont want to run the injection system, then a std cavalier inlet manifold and distributor will fit straight on from a 1.8 carbed cavalier.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

stevebubs

posted on 4/5/08 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

adrian

try running one with a huge hole in your bonnet and the engine sticking out!!

dunk

posted on 4/5/08 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Big_wasa. Nice work on your engine, what fiesta do i need to get the bits off ?

NS Dev. The problem is the sump clearance with the vx engines i would have to go SPOA and i dont want to do that to my truck. A mate of mine had a 2.0 vx Carlton engine in his Sj and it used to rip the t-box out for fun.

I dont really need mega power the Vit engine i have at the moment is around 80bhp and thats enough.

Another question. Can i fit an auto box to a Zetec engine ?

Stevebubs. Nice idea but i dont think i can get it high enough. This is a pic of my mate and my Mrs from Wales last year when we found a hole. It was still running for quite a while underwater but his snorkel had a leak and the engine filled with water. I towed him out, took the plugs out, turned it over to get the water out then popped the plugs back in and tow started it. Its still running spot on now. Rescued attachment HEYITHOUGHTITWOULDFLOAT.jpg
Rescued attachment HEYITHOUGHTITWOULDFLOAT.jpg

stevebubs

posted on 4/5/08 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
My comment was more aimed at the "keeping the plug gallery dry" based on personal experience

dunk

posted on 4/5/08 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
See what you mean Steve must be a bit of a pain. But seeing the engine through the bonnet is quite cool
NS Dev

posted on 4/5/08 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

NS Dev. The problem is the sump clearance with the vx engines i would have to go SPOA and i dont want to do that to my truck. A mate of mine had a 2.0 vx Carlton engine in his Sj and it used to rip the t-box out for fun.

I dont really need mega power the Vit engine i have at the moment is around 80bhp and thats enough.

Stevebubs. Nice idea but i dont think i can get it high enough. This is a pic of my mate and my Mrs from Wales last year when we found a hole. It was still running for quite a while underwater but his snorkel had a leak and the engine filled with water. I towed him out, took the plugs out, turned it over to get the water out then popped the plugs back in and tow started it. Its still running spot on now.

Hi Dunk, pardon my stupidity but whats "SPOA"??

take it on the power though, wasn't sure what the suzuki transfer box would take!

zilspeed

posted on 5/5/08 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
quote:

Stevebubs. Nice idea but i dont think i can get it high enough. This is a pic of my mate and my Mrs from Wales last year when we found a hole. It was still running for quite a while underwater but his snorkel had a leak and the engine filled with water. I towed him out, took the plugs out, turned it over to get the water out then popped the plugs back in and tow started it. Its still running spot on now.

Hi Dunk, pardon my stupidity but whats "SPOA"??

Can I have a guess ?

Sump Pan Over Axle ?

Nah, can't be, surely...

dunk

posted on 5/5/08 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
SPOA means spring perch over axle. So in standard set up the axles is no top of the leaf springs. When you do a spoa conversion the axle goes under the leaf springs. So you gain about 6 inches of hight and have no sump clearance problems. But mine is axle set up as standard with 3 inch lifted spings and 1 inch missing links with ruf springs (rears up front) so the axle is 1 1/2 inches further forward to help with sump, wheel clearance and flex as the longer the spring the more it flexes.
stevebubs

posted on 11/5/08 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
See what you mean Steve must be a bit of a pain. But seeing the engine through the bonnet is quite cool

It certainly drew a lot a attention when parked up....

At Le Mans, people would wander past the other 7/8 kits I'd be parked up with and you could see them stop and do a double take at mine...

Got a bulge over it now, though!

stevebubs

posted on 11/5/08 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
PS What about a 1.6 ford sigma ?

Smaller and lighter than the zetec...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.