Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZZR 1400 progress
skippad

posted on 13/5/08 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
ZZR 1400 progress

Hi all
Me and me mates have spent the last 2 months installing Kwak zzr 1400...if exhaust manifold comes this week should be up and running for weekend! Rescued attachment e4.JPG
Rescued attachment e4.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skippad

posted on 13/5/08 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
another pic Rescued attachment e2.JPG
Rescued attachment e2.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skippad

posted on 13/5/08 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
and another Rescued attachment e3.JPG
Rescued attachment e3.JPG

minitici

posted on 13/5/08 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Should really fly with the ZX14 motor.
Just fitted one to my mates Radical sports racer - now that really shifts....
He was seeing 145 mph at the East Fortune sprint two weeks ago. Beat a 'bussa powered Radical prosport at the Fintray hillclimb last weekend and lowered the sports libre class record by about 2 seconds (not bad on a course which only takes 29 seconds).
Thought the engine had blown up on Sunday as it developed a real bad backfire - turned out that one of the 'clean air', anti-smog device pipes had come off - phew.

Hope you know where all that loose wiring goes

You may want to consider an oil catch tank rather than the breather filter?

Doug.

[Edited on 13/5/08 by minitici]

skippad

posted on 13/5/08 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Which is the "anti smog pipe?"
I was'nt sure wether to feed the breather filter pipe back into the filter... i'll see how it goes!
The wiring was the biggest headache...cut a lot of surplus loom off, just tied rest back behind dash.
Dave

minitici

posted on 13/5/08 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skippad
Which is the "anti smog pipe?"
I was'nt sure wether to feed the breather filter pipe back into the filter... i'll see how it goes!
The wiring was the biggest headache...cut a lot of surplus loom off, just tied rest back behind dash.
Dave

It was one of the two pipes from the air valve to the top of the rocker cover which came adrift.
The Radical got slightly overfilled and it chucked out quite a mist of oil which ended up in the catch tank, rather than sprayed over the engine bay.
However I did fit a small air filter to that right angled air pipe going to the air valve.

Luckily the Radical has big side pods to hide the excess wiring.....

skippad

posted on 13/5/08 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
The right angled pipe on top of rockerbox
is going into a pipercross type airfilter with the air flow sensor.
If you had seen the loom before trimming... (you can see a lot of it on floor)

ned

posted on 14/5/08 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Funny, I recognise that chassis number

and the header tank lol.

Looks like it's coming on nicely..

[Edited on 14/5/08 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

skippad

posted on 14/5/08 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Ned
RS made such a good job of building car i had nothing to do to it!........then i got the itch for more power plus something to tinker with!
Is Richard still about, ive been trying to email him.
Dave

moochofun

posted on 14/5/08 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting install - have you got any more piccies that I could ponder by any chance? The ZZR engine would be my engine of choice but not sure what sort of upheaval it would be compared to the blade engine - what engine was in your car originally?

Ta

ned

posted on 15/5/08 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Dave,

Yeah Rich is still about, posing in his elise most of the time. I see him most days at the office!

Ned

beware, I've got yellow skin

skippad

posted on 15/5/08 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moochofun
Interesting install - have you got any more piccies that I could ponder by any chance? The ZZR engine would be my engine of choice but not sure what sort of upheaval it would be compared to the blade engine - what engine was in your car originally?

Ta

Its the only photos i've got of install, the original engine was a 'blade.
New cradle, slight mod to lower chassis rail, hydraulic clutch, prop adaptor, exhaust manifold, wiring and pipes are the only things needed!!!

shortie

posted on 15/5/08 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dave,

Looks like a nice little power upgrade!! Should be good when done!

Not sure why I didn't get the email, drop me an email on richard_short@btinternet.com.

Rich.

moochofun

posted on 16/5/08 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Ta

New cradle, slight mod to lower chassis rail, hydraulic clutch, prop adaptor, exhaust manifold, wiring and pipes are the only things needed!!!

Ahhh, cool. Must admit my blade will be coming out for next year to be replaced with Busa/ZZR/ZX12/R1 (delete as appropriate). I spoke with Malc this week at yorkshire engines and got some great advice from him.

Did you have any issues with keys/clocks. I've heard a rumour where you need the clocks and key for the ZZR due to transponder requirement for starting etc - or is that the BS from the grapevine??

Ta

skippad

posted on 17/5/08 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ta

Ahhh, cool. Must admit my blade will be coming out for next year to be replaced with Busa/ZZR/ZX12/R1 (delete as appropriate). I spoke with Malc this week at yorkshire engines and got some great advice from him.

Did you have any issues with keys/clocks. I've heard a rumour where you need the clocks and key for the ZZR due to transponder requirement for starting etc - or is that the BS from the grapevine??

Ta

I did'nt need clocks, as i have digidash installed, so i've just picked up wires from loom that i needed.
As far as starting, u dont need keys like the Honda and Yamaha systems, all you need is the 100ohm resistor which is in ignition switch which reduces voltage down to (i think) 7 volts to overide the immobiliser.
Malc will supply resistor and advice when u buy engine!

moochofun

posted on 20/5/08 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent, thanks.
neilj37

posted on 20/5/08 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minitici
Should really fly with the ZX14 motor.
Just fitted one to my mates Radical sports racer - now that really shifts....
He was seeing 145 mph at the East Fortune sprint two weeks ago. Beat a 'bussa powered Radical prosport at the Fintray hillclimb last weekend and lowered the sports libre class record by about 2 seconds (not bad on a course which only takes 29 seconds).
Thought the engine had blown up on Sunday as it developed a real bad backfire - turned out that one of the 'clean air', anti-smog device pipes had come off - phew.

Hope you know where all that loose wiring goes

You may want to consider an oil catch tank rather than the breather filter?

Doug.

[Edited on 13/5/08 by minitici]

What is your friends name as I was at the Fintray hill climb??

skippad

posted on 26/5/08 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Took the mk zzr1400 for its maiden run today...............................................
What can i say......
ABSOLUTEY FEKIN AWESOME, AWESOME, AWSOME.

Torque, power, torque, power, yet more torque.......

I think i need bigger brakes!

Track day here i come!!!

Will post some pics later when i calm down!!
Dave

skippad

posted on 26/5/08 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Heres some pics
Been for longer blast out.
Theres a couple minor probs to sort out...
Me tacho still not working, centre prop bearing needs moving up as its making a noise, running a bit hot (power commander and rolling road session should sort that out).
And ultimately i'll need a lower ratio lsd diff... 3.14 (anybody got one).
Topped out at 120 (private road of course)

But still AWESOME
Rescued attachment DSCF0115.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0115.JPG

skippad

posted on 26/5/08 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Another pic Rescued attachment DSCF0114.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0114.JPG

PAUL FISHER

posted on 26/5/08 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Come on,pictures are great,but its videos we want to see,don't tell me you did not get your 1st run on video
skippad

posted on 26/5/08 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul
In my excitement i did'nt video it!
I'll get me son to video it the next time i go out.
Dave

thurso

posted on 24/2/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
zx14

anyone got set of clocks for zx14?
minitici

posted on 24/2/09 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Lenny - no ZX14 clocks, luckily we did not appear to have any faults.
So how is your conversion progressing?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.