Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Ever drove like this before?
ash_hammond

posted on 11/6/08 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Ever drove like this before?

Since yesterday was a nice day i decided to take the ZR into work. At start up i noticed that she was a little lounder than normal. It was 6.55 so I decided to ignore this as i was not quite awake yet.

After about 35 miles into the 40 mile drive up the A1M from Rotherham to Wetherby i noticed that the pops from the zhorst had turn more into bangs. So i looked over the side of the car to see a crack forming in the zhorst can were it meets to manifold. At this point i was doing 70ish. With the slip road in slight i held the zhorst can with my right hand a gingerly did the last 5 miles to the office car park.

On inspection i deduced that it was never F%$Kin' gonna last the 40 miles home down the A1. Also if it did come off at speed it stood a good chance of digging into the ground and being ripped off and in the process taking some of the GRP with it. I decided that recovery was not an option and i would come up with an ingenious plan to get her home with my head held high - or summat like that anyway.

After looking around the office i found the solution in my desk draw. All that useless stuff i get from trade shows actually came in usefull. Armed with two badge holders i made myself a sling that i tied around the zhoust can that i could hold in my right hand should she decide to drop off.

After 1 mile of the trip home the zhorst can decided to give up the ghost and detatch her self from the manifold - oh well 39 miles to go holding the can.

By the time i got home i as exhausted . Any replied please shout as i am now hard of hearing in my right ear

Still in very high spirits about having the car on the road - would rather wipe my arse with broken glass than get rid!!

Description
Description

[Edited on 11/6/08 by ash_hammond]

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

ned

posted on 11/6/08 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
no, but i drove my first car (triumph toledo) with a hole in the fuel tank and the boot half full of petrol sloshing about

..also rode my 125 many years ago for some time with considerably bent forks

..and after i pranged a saxo door I drove around with the bent door held closed by a ratchet strap through the sunroof.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 11/6/08 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Kind of....think I've got a photo of my Fury side pod in the passenger seat of some-one else's car as I had to take it off to get to the exhaust on the way back from Le Mans....
stevebubs

posted on 11/6/08 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
PS if you need cheap tools while you're in France, Bricolage (sp?) rocks....

Bought myself a number of spanners, rivet gun and rivets while on that trip....

02GF74

posted on 11/6/08 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
you would have been bettter off yanking the can off and putting it in the boot or passenger footwell rather than risk it falling off and smacking someone behind you in the face.

and yes, to answer your question, I have driven like that before when the pipe to the single silencer on my MGB decide to shear off - probably not as loud as yours.

ash_hammond

posted on 11/6/08 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
you would have been bettter off yanking the can off and putting it in the boot or passenger footwell rather than risk it falling off and smacking someone behind you in the face.

and yes, to answer your question, I have driven like that before when the pipe to the single silencer on my MGB decide to shear off - probably not as loud as yours.

I could not remove the can as it's bolted to the body work bodywork/chassis with a 17mm nut which requires a modifield 17mm spanner to take it off - which is at home

[Edited on 11/6/08 by ash_hammond]

02GF74

posted on 11/6/08 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ ok, I'll let you off, just thins once mind!!

akumabito

posted on 11/6/08 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
no, but i drove my first car (triumph toledo) with a hole in the fuel tank and the boot half full of petrol sloshing about

..also rode my 125 many years ago for some time with considerably bent forks

..and after i pranged a saxo door I drove around with the bent door held closed by a ratchet strap through the sunroof.

Ned.

My first car was a Fiat Panda. It had all sort of problems.. the exhaust was held on by bungee cord.. every time you'd hit a bump, it would bottom out, scraping over the road for a second, then come flying back up and hit the car.. driving over a cobbled street at night was a mixture of scraping sounds, sparks flying and loud bangs that would wake anyone up..

mookaloid

posted on 11/6/08 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I once drove an austin princess home with a bit of string leading from under the bonnet and through the window to operate the throttle with as the cable had broken

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Dangle_kt

posted on 11/6/08 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
NICE JOB!

I SAID.....

NICE JOB!!!

RickRick

posted on 11/6/08 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
i've done 40 miles fron kendal to preston on my yam rd350 with the throttle cable tied round a jubile clip, that was looped over my thumb for thottle control
ash_hammond

posted on 11/6/08 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Now that i remember, i drove my VW Polo from central london to high wycombe with a leaking front brake hose - pretty much no stopping power at the pedal just used the hand brake and kept topping the fluid up. Looking back it probably was i bit daft - was only 21 at the time

dhutch

posted on 11/6/08 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Its a pisser isnt it.
- My 306's exhast fel off about a month ago driving though stoke, simular situation where the pipe fractured going into the box, although fortunatly in my case there where enough mounts to hold it all up just about.

Quite funny anyway as i got all sorts of looks from passers by.
- A lot of people looked at the my in disgust as the chav-like noise. Others turn round and smiled in approval. All of the latter actaully where chavs, lol.

Daniel

02GF74

posted on 11/6/08 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
best story I've come across is someone with a rusty land rover chassis who fitted a switch that would light a lamp when the gap in the chassis got to big ... the lamp would flash when driving over speed bumps

DarrenW

posted on 11/6/08 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Same has happened to me. Had to get it welded back up. Ive had a couple of cracks but all is well now.

i also had the rivets shear in the back of the silencer. Ive since drilled some more holes and fitted larger diameter rivets.

paulf

posted on 11/6/08 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
The entire exhaust fell off my MGB in Oxford once when I hit a bad pot hole, I put it in the boot and drove home with just the manifold and remains of the down pipe.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.