Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Got my donor !!!
Andy_B

posted on 15/10/10 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Got my donor !!!

Just purchased a 1991 ford granada scorpio for 200 quid its the 2.0 DOHC engine and what looks like MT75 box which is perect or my chassis !! five stud wheels though but can work around this...its got full leather and some other bits and bobs i am hoping to sell on to cover its purchase cost ...some questions though ...are there any desirable bits i need to be careul with to sell on ...and has anybody got any experience on using a granada for a donor ? loads of electrics will be unused and stripped out ...but thats my occupation so shouldn be a prob !!
mcerd1

posted on 15/10/10 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
which chassis are you using ?

-

Andy_B

posted on 15/10/10 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Its the saturn sports cars supplied one in MT75 variant
mcerd1

posted on 15/10/10 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
the front uprights on the granada are a different size - so if you don't want to mess about with the geometry then you'll need some sierra front hubs

that'll leave you with 4 stud fronts and 5 stud rears - but if you can find a set of 4 stud rear hubs they are a strait swap

or you can make the 5 stud front hubs fit in the sierra uprights with just a little tweak in the lathe (should cost less than £20 to get done)

also the steering rack and column are different from the sierra but I don't know if they cause a problem (someone was selling a column on here the other day)

-

Andy_B

posted on 15/10/10 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that what sort of geometry changes would be needed ? would it be in the fabrication of wishbones ? lathe work not a problem engineering background and access to mills and lathes a plenty ...even a coded welding instructer for a wee bro !!
austin man

posted on 15/10/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Dump the engine as well your probably better with a pinto as a minimum or a zetec. Starter motor fits the zetec engine

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Andy_B

posted on 15/10/10 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that so i would only be using the Box !! think i will stick with the engine box combo until i have built it... been informed i can make mushrooms to suit uprights ...doing this on a very tight budget with an 8 year old apprentice !!
daniel mason

posted on 15/10/10 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
it depends on budget! not many people manage to stick to a budget. would be cheaper in the end to go down the tried and tested route! especially when secon hand parts are readily available. dont ask me how i know.

austin man

posted on 15/10/10 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
the engine is limited for upgrades and power unlike the zetec and pinto there are plenty of tunning opportunities available. A few people have used the hubs and breaks so that shouldnt be a problem neither should the steering if its not power assisted

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

mcerd1

posted on 15/10/10 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy_B
Cheers for that what sort of geometry changes would be needed ?

sorry I'm not sure exactly, but I know the mushrooms need to be bigger and the upright is a bit taller (not sure if you can sort that in the mushroom or not)

using the sierra ones is just a little easier and shouldn't cost much:
Ford Sierra front hubs, 2wd on eBay (end time 17-Oct-10 16:57:19 BST)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Sierra-Front-Hubs-/250709471430?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a5f72f0c6

(the granada brakes are fine either way)

[Edited on 15/10/2010 by mcerd1]

-

mcerd1

posted on 19/10/10 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=144794

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.