Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: scrapping shell question
pdm

posted on 10/5/10 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
scrapping shell question

Hi

My local scrappy has replied to an email I sent saying that in order for them to weigh in my shell, they need the VIN plates and V5 so they can get a COD ?

Is that right ? I thought they could just weigh it in as metal and it didn't matter that it happened to be a car ?

thanks
Paul

stevebubs

posted on 10/5/10 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Dunno, but if they do need the V5, I would get the DVLA to send another copy (because you lost the current one) before scrapping the shell.
pdm

posted on 10/5/10 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
If I give them my V5 then the car will be declared scrap and I won't get age related.

I think I might just chop it up and then weigh it in at a metal merchants instead.

I thought it was all ok and legal to do that but I'm a bit worried now !!

BenB

posted on 10/5/10 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Perhaps it's new regs to stop rarer cars that are scrapped from re-appearing on the roads looking suddenly in better nick if you know what I mean..... Who knows. Just weigh it in at a scrap metal place rather than a car scrappers.
coozer

posted on 10/5/10 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Best thing is to cut the vin number out the floor, remove the vin tags, basically remove all traces and then cut it up and take to the scrappy for weigh in.

I advertised my shell in the local paper and it ended up going to a guy who does banger racing.

You need to keep the V5 on sorn to use it for age related or proof of donor bits.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

pdm

posted on 10/5/10 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks folks - looks like it's time to break out Mr Angry then !!!

Trouble is it goes through cutting discs like there's no tomorrow - wonder if the money I get for the metal will cover the costs of the discs lol !!

fesycresy

posted on 10/5/10 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Surely there are plenty of gypo's around your way?

They'll take it, no worries.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

skinned knuckles

posted on 10/5/10 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdm
Thanks folks - looks like it's time to break out Mr Angry then !!!

Trouble is it goes through cutting discs like there's no tomorrow - wonder if the money I get for the metal will cover the costs of the discs lol !!

put a shout out to see if anyone near you has a plasma cutter you could borrow for a few beer tokens. its much faster, less mess and quite good fun. i know how many discs i would have to use to cut up a car and it wouldn't be locost.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

loggyboy

posted on 10/5/10 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdm
wonder if the money I get for the metal will cover the costs of the discs lol !!

I weighed in 380kgs of mixed the other week and got £53, so you should get a fair amount for it, just scower round the garage for any other odd bits of metal to help bulk it out.

Miks15

posted on 10/5/10 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
pdm,

It might be worth advetising the shell on ebay or something. I advertised mine E36 as breaking for spares on there and someguy paid me £50 for the shell only. I just ground the VIN numbers off so it couldnt be traced back to me.

Might get more for it that way that chopping up, and he came and picked it up and everything so i didnt have to do anything

Cheers
Mikkel

se7en

posted on 10/5/10 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have taken several shells to my scrappy and I only had the V5 for one of them. The scrappy took the V5 and issued me with a COD for that shell. They didn't ask about V5s for the others all they wanted was the reg number. On one of the shells I hadn't got the reg plates on it so he booked it in as 'NO REG' and that's what is on the receipt.
pdm

posted on 10/5/10 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm I did wonder about trying to flog it on ebay but its had some "modifications" where I've had to "persuade" some of the bits to come off. Still wouldn't hurt to try I suppose and if it doesn't sell I'll chop it up and weigh it in as mixed.

Thanks everyone.

need4speed

posted on 10/5/10 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
EMR took one of me the other day,but I had to remove the engine before they would take it as it's then scrap metal and not a car.
pdm

posted on 13/5/10 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Well a local metal merchant is coming to collect it with a HIAB.

I have got my VIN tags and V5 safe, so as long as I take a photo of it being swung onto the back of a flatbed and keep my receipt is that going to be ok for the DVLA ?

thanks
Paul

franky

posted on 13/5/10 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
I can remember when someone came to pick up the m3 shell had problems finding someone to take it as it couldn't be driven onto a trailer but the guy who did take it said there was about £100 in weight. I didn't get anything but he didn't charge me either and let me keep the v5 etc.
coozer

posted on 13/5/10 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
All you need are the receipt V5 and tags. Take a pic if that gives you peace of mind.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

pdm

posted on 13/5/10 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
cheers - be sorry to see it go in a way !!!
40inches

posted on 13/5/10 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget to SORN it, big fine if you don't
pdm

posted on 13/5/10 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Timely reminder - fortunately got it SORN'ed when I got it home - just need to make double sure I dont forget to renew.

Having said that I won't need to worry if I've:

ordered kit
built it
IVA'd
registered

By next March.

Given it's taken me three months to break the donor wonder how likely that is - lol !!

I'm going to mark up my calendar !!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.