Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Master cylinder (think i made a boo boo)
leon51274

posted on 17/10/12 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Master cylinder (think i made a boo boo)

Good afternoon all

I think i may of made a bit of boo boo! I purchased a master cylinder from cbs thinking it would do the job, however what i didn't do was read the iva manual prior to my purchase! It would appear that iva states the front and rear braking systems should be separate systems incase of failure, however my master cylinder only has one outlet so I'm thinking that it may be for a balance bar assembly? This wouldn't be a problem as i could just purchase a non-servo m/s, however as you can see by the attached image of my bulkhead, fitting a different m/s would be a no no as most that i have seen have the fixing holes horizontal unlike mine which is vertical so i would never get it to fit because the steering column bearing housing. The last thing i want to do is start re-jigging the bulk head so does anyone have any other suggestions?

Many thanks for any input received.

Regards
Leon

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 17/10/12 by leon51274]

maccmike

posted on 17/10/12 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
surely theres a twin port type with that mounting configuration?
leon51274

posted on 17/10/12 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike
surely theres a twin port type with that mounting configuration?

I was hoping so but I've searched all over the place and can't seem to find one!

rodgling

posted on 17/10/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, I've got a master cylinder with vertical fixing holes available if that's any use? Needs a remote reservoir though.
leon51274

posted on 17/10/12 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
Hmm, I've got a master cylinder with vertical fixing holes available if that's any use? Needs a remote reservoir though.

Hi defo interested, is it a twin port?

rodgling

posted on 17/10/12 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
It's this one, unused:

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=562_582_583&products_id=4048

Also have a similar but faulty 0.625 one (I suspect leaky seals which could be replaced).

leon51274

posted on 17/10/12 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
It's this one, unused:

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=562_582_583&products_id=4048

Also have a similar but faulty 0.625 one (I suspect leaky seals which could be replaced).

Ah, thats a single outlet one similar to the one i already have! I would have the same problem with regards to the iva stating that front and rear braking requires to be on a separate system! Bugger thanks for looking though

rodgling

posted on 17/10/12 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
No problem - presumably you could use two master cylinders with a non-adjustable balance bar, but I guess you would run out of space to mount them?
leon51274

posted on 17/10/12 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
No problem - presumably you could use two master cylinders with a non-adjustable balance bar, but I guess you would run out of space to mount them?

Yes as you can by the pic of the bulkhead the master cylinder is tight up to the steering column bearing so i'm very limited to what i can do as the bulkhead is fully welded in. Fair to say I've made a school boy error

hughpinder

posted on 17/10/12 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Non power assisted VW polo master cylinder? - it is of course twice as long! It is a 0.69" bore. I think the threaded ports are metric, but you should be able to look that up.
Here's one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-POLO-DERBY-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-LM43311-NEW-/271080961401?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f1d af3579

Regards
Hugh

leon51274

posted on 17/10/12 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
Non power assisted VW polo master cylinder? - it is of course twice as long! It is a 0.69" bore. I think the threaded ports are metric, but you should be able to look that up.
Here's one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-POLO-DERBY-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-LM43311-NEW-/271080961401?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f1d af3579

Regards
Hugh

Good man, That looks just the ticket. The length shouldn't be an issue. Does it matter if its got metric threaded ports?

hughpinder

posted on 17/10/12 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
The port thread only matters if you already have the fittings to screw into them and they are not the same, in which case you may have to buy some new threaded ends to suit. They are usually 3/8 UNF if imperial or M10*1 if metric obviously the threads must match whats in the holes! - (I just looked at an old spreadsheet of bits I needed from the last time I went to the kit car show and it seems I was looking for m10*1). If the polo ones are no good, I'd probably try to find a master cylinder from a 80s/90s small base model car like a ford fiesta or a Rover metro, (rather than a Japanese/European model) as they are most likely to be imperial fittings and to not have power assisted brakes. you will have to find out what the bore is though.
Regards
Hugh

leon51274

posted on 17/10/12 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The port thread only matters if you already have the fittings to screw into them and they are not the same, in which case you may have to buy some new threaded ends to suit. They are usually 3/8 UNF if imperial or M10*1 if metric obviously the threads must match whats in the holes! - (I just looked at an old spreadsheet of bits I needed from the last time I went to the kit car show and it seems I was looking for m10*1). If the polo ones are no good, I'd probably try to find a master cylinder from a 80s/90s small base model car like a ford fiesta or a Rover metro, (rather than a Japanese/European model) as they are most likely to be imperial fittings and to not have power assisted brakes. you will have to find out what the bore is though.
Regards
Hugh

Ok, well haven't bought any fittings as yet so that shouldn't be an issue but Just looking at the image of the polo one on ebay, the outlets with the black bungs, would these be for the reservoir?

Cheers
Leon

hughpinder

posted on 17/10/12 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Yup
And I think one of the cylinders has a spare port that you can use for a pressure switch to operate the brake lights - If you can pick up the cylinder from a breakers you will probably only pay about a tenner including the switch and resevoir (if its an unbolt it yourself job)
Regards
Hugh

leon51274

posted on 17/10/12 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yup
And I think one of the cylinders has a spare port that you can use for a pressure switch to operate the brake lights - If you can pick up the cylinder from a breakers you will probably only pay about a tenner including the switch and resevoir (if its an unbolt it yourself job)
Regards
Hugh

Bugger, I'm going to have the same issue then as the cylinder that I've already got, which would mean i wouldn't be able to fit it onto my bulkhead as it will foul the bearing housing!

britishtrident

posted on 17/10/12 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
You should be using M10x1 metric fittings anyway, any car model introduced since about 1975 (with very few exceptions outside the USA ) will be metric.

The Polo cylinder has extra ports which will need blocked off with M10x1 bleed nipples or you can use one for hydraulic brake light you will also need to make up acustom push rod. Black bung fittings are for resevoir -- some Ford resevoirs fit but most Ford resevoirs are angled.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

daviep

posted on 17/10/12 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
How about THIS ?

Are planning on remote reservoir?

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

whitestu

posted on 17/10/12 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
The Westfield one looks like it will fit:

Westy website

Not cheap though, but there is on on Ebay for £0.99 with no bids at the mo:

Ebay

Stu

maccmike

posted on 17/10/12 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
I love the guys on here
leon51274

posted on 17/10/12 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
How about THIS ?

Are planning on remote reservoir?

Cheers
Davie

I wasn't planning on having a remote reservoir but the cylinder i bought came with the option to have one so i suppose its possible to have one providing i am able to fit one on a different cylinder?

Cheers
Leon

leon51274

posted on 17/10/12 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
The Westfield one looks like it will fit:

Westy website

Not cheap though, but there is on on Ebay for £0.99 with no bids at the mo:

Ebay

Stu

This one looks like it may be the way forward. The one on ebay is listed as possibly not working, would there be a seal kit available for this?

I really do appreciate the help with this guys as i was just on the verge of doing my dry build prior to having the chassis powder coated so coming across this stumbling block sort of kicked me in the nads a bit!

Cheers
Leon

whitestu

posted on 17/10/12 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I would contact Westfield to ask if they supply a seal kit. Seems likely that one be available somewhere.
leon51274

posted on 18/10/12 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Well i decided to bite the bullet and purchase a new one direct from westfield.

Thanks for all the responses and recommendations guys, much appreciated.

Regards
Leon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.