Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carb Cleaning / Restoration
ReMan

posted on 16/7/18 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Carb Cleaning / Restoration

Any nuggets for restoring an old carburettor.

So no specific issues, just make it work, declag it inside and out and make it look nice
Obviously being LCB, sending it of for ultrasonic cleaning and vapor-media blasting is off the cards :-)

Thinking along the lines of soaking it in some sort of cheap jollop whilst i drink a beer, then a light rub with a magic cloth

Whats anyone done recently, any tips?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 16/7/18 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a can of carb cleaner somewhere in the garage your welcome to borrow. Might also have some celly thinners if its not evaporated.

As i recall my experience was strip, spray, rub, spray, rub, spray, rub, go to the garage cause the misses was complaining too much about me being in the lounge and the smell, wipe down, reassemble and they were good enough for me.

Rub consisted of a combiation cloths and old tooth brushes.

[Edited on 16/7/18 by MikeR]

big_wasa

posted on 16/7/18 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Couple of tins of brake / carb cleaner from the local pound shop and a tooth brush, preferably not your own
nero1701

posted on 16/7/18 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've an ultrasonic cleaner, im happy to put it in with some de-greasing solution.

I wont however have anything to do with stripping/repairing ect ect

BenB

posted on 16/7/18 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Just be careful with carb cleaner and anything plastic. WD40 works better in this regard- doesn't melt floats etc.
Angel Acevedo

posted on 16/7/18 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Any nuggets for restoring an old carburettor.

So no specific issues, just make it work, declag it inside and out and make it look nice
Obviously being LCB, sending it of for ultrasonic cleaning and vapor-media blasting is off the cards :-)

Thinking along the lines of soaking it in some sort of cheap jollop whilst i drink a beer, then a light rub with a magic cloth

Whats anyone done recently, any tips?

Baking soda blaster??
Once done, a quick rinse with lukewarm water dissolves the soda...
Carb cleaner for though to reach inner passages and blast with compressed air..

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 16/7/18 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for this tips and ideas guys.

I started last night after using some spray carb cleaner and a brush but wasn't that impressed. OGK for dissolving some thick gum, but not really cleaning.
So i chucked it in a bowl with a washing powder tablet and fished it out this evening, gate it a bit of a scrub with a toothbrush/stiff brush and its not come up bad.
I feel it needs a bit of something on the outside to give it a bit of zing though?
Like blasting but cheaper! Wondered about some sort of long stifff bristled brush in a drill to get into the nooks?
I dont want to polish it, just sort of "cut" the surface a bit.....

carby1
carby1

dickwad
dickwad

[Edited on 16/7/18 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

steve m

posted on 17/7/18 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
As long as theres no rubber left in the carb, leaving it submerged in thinners will clean out any crud,
also a good blow through with an air gun

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 17/7/18 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
I've always used carb cleaner, airline, and a fine pick for cleaning our carbs. Having said that, they've been mostly off bikes and not covered in too much crud, and not had to look like new when re-fitting (just working!).

I've stripped and rebuilt Triumph Tiger 900 carbs more times than I care to imagine due to them "sticking" when installed, and I took advice from an oldie once, and soaked in lemon juice before cleaning out with carb cleaner - seemed to do the trick nicely.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 17/7/18 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to clean the surface to pretty it up if be looking at a fine grade wire wool / wire brush. The drill brush may work but I've never find them very effective.

However id expect the tarnished look to return quickly if you did nothing to protect the finish.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 17/7/18 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
I feel it needs a bit of something on the outside to give it a bit of zing though?
Like blasting but cheaper! Wondered about some sort of long stifff bristled brush in a drill to get into the nooks?...

[Edited on 16/7/18 by ReMan]

ReMan
If you have access to a compressor, you can make a homemade soda blaster for very little money.
Results are really good.
Regards
Angel Acevedo

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 20/7/18 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I have one, thjough its only 25L , but maybe for something carb size it would work.
I'll have a look on you tube at rigging one up

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.