Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Donor vehicle's registration plate for my Seven.
traveler.77

posted on 1/8/22 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Donor vehicle's registration plate for my Seven.

Hi all Locost 7 builders - I've been using quite a few major parts from a 1992 Sierra (engine/box, front/rear axles etc.) to build my Seven.
I have the Log Book for the Sierra and just wondered if anyone knows the ruling on using a donor vehicle's reg plate to get the Seven on the road at DVLA instead of having to go down the IVA route? Cheers for your help on this one guys!

loggyboy

posted on 1/8/22 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
IVA isnt registration.
Suggest you do some more digging on the DVLA site, its all there.

Mistral Motorsport

mcerd1

posted on 1/8/22 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
you are changing the chassis - so there is no way around the IVA

the donor parts + V5 will let you register it on an age related plate once you've passed the IVA if you want - otherwise you've get a Q plate

the bit you need to read is here:
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/kitconverted-vehicles

the bit on the DVLA /.Gov sites about keeping a reg plate only applies to vehicles you don't modify the chassis on (ie. if you replace the chassis it has to be brand new and identical to the old one to keep the plate):
so this allows for the body swaps on cars with separate chassis - but not turning a sierra into a se7en

quote:

Radically altered vehicles
You will not be able to keep your vehicle’s original registration number if one of the following applies:
"it has a second-hand or altered chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame"
Your vehicle must pass the relevant type approval test to get a ‘Q’ prefix registration number.

the last part just means even if you only want a q plate - you still need an IVA

[Edited on 1/8/2022 by mcerd1]

-

traveler.77

posted on 1/8/22 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, can't avoid the IVA test then! - thanks loggyboy and mcerd1 for your help.
mcerd1

posted on 1/8/22 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
only way to avoid an IVA with a seven legally is to buy one thats already passed and on the road

-

nick205

posted on 1/8/22 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
As bove, no legal way around the IVA test and then registering the vehicle. IIRC if you've used enough bits from the donor vehicle you'll be issued with an age related registration plate.

In my case I did and was issued an age related (G plate) as that's what the Sierra was. The issued age related plate was not the plate from the donor Sierra though.

EDIT
When I officially scrapped what was left of my donor Sierra it was still a registered vehicle with it's G plate. That G plate was scrapped with the Sierra. Whether it goes back into a pool of plates they can re-issue I've no idea.

[Edited on 1/8/22 by nick205]

nick205

posted on 2/8/22 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
That's another point that comes to mind...when you're done with your donor make sure you officially scrap it. When you weigh it in to a scrappy (even if they have to come and get it) there'll be some money back (value depends on scrap steel value at the time). Plus it's gone through the right channels to the right place to get crushed and dealt with. A scrap car body shell sat outside your house can fast become a pain in the arse!
traveler.77

posted on 3/8/22 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks mcerd1 for more helpful info on my IVA question. That's a good option ...sell my seven build as far as I've got and put the cash towards one that has already passed the IVA test and on the road! Will give it some serious thought. The enjoyment goes though with no build 'journey' to say 'I've built this'..

Good luck with the Dax Rush by the way...awesome build! - look forward to seeing it at Stoneleigh etc. one day!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------

Thanks also to nick205 re helpful info for my IVA dilemma!...and best way for dealing with the scrap sierra once I've used all the bits off it
-------------------------------------------------------

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.