Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to clean my ball
Slimy38

posted on 21/6/23 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
How to clean my ball

More specifically, how do I clean a VAG 'globe' coolant tank? The outside should be relatively easy, but the inside is looking a bit grotty. What could I use that wouldn't damage the tank, given that it needs to hold pressure?

I was thinking bleach first, but if that didn't work I'm tempted to try sand and water, possibly a bottle brush? Would that sort of abrasive approach potentially damage the bottle?

falcor75

posted on 21/6/23 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
I'd try running it in the dishwasher first of all as that usually works. If you still arent happy just get a new one, they're not that expensive.
nick205

posted on 21/6/23 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by falcor75
I'd try running it in the dishwasher first of all as that usually works. If you still arent happy just get a new one, they're not that expensive.

Ditto

Remove and rubber O rings, seals etc. and stick in the dishwasher. A good hot dishwasher cycle shifts most things and should leave it pretty clean.

As "falcor" says a brand new replacement probably isn't that expensive either.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36369853 4110?hash=item54ae1f36de:g:YtUAAOSwWXZh6slo&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwF2nfRTntqSxB5%2BiPwlWuCuRdQTaAFGdT72HLciCV7QEqzmBhbiUWaMScsi5P7YQANBr%2FExZXoxYy uico8hMnBKg91mWP3q6EHbedSqHmvlq0vwODQ3HOqQoSv%2FO8EA9U%2FBqjnwN0DJmAmSbd6s5vMWSvGrmlWYfe%2BmULIBBODDLJQCdLfon4VA4tRMDCxci7GnQZEbB%2Fu%2B3%2BVyz43Xc7BB Rx4%2BGzuqeBzk3OJtqPv1CxS2uirRdWywSC1WFvY0Scg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9rr39CbYg

[Edited on 21/6/23 by nick205]

ianhurley20

posted on 21/6/23 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
I used one on my Haynes - second hand - and spent ages trying to properly clean it. There were some amazing vids on you tube where the finished result looked like a new one (probably was). So after spending many hours failing to clean mine I would suggest that you do as the others have said - buy a new ebay version that will look spotless!
Slimy38

posted on 21/6/23 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately the dishwasher option doesn't work, in my house the dishwasher is 'me'!!

I'll start with some hot water and detergent though, and see how far I get before I buy a new one... The main thing I was finding was the new ones didn't come with a cap, and since all the 'magic' was in the cap I at least wanted a genuine part for that.

nick205

posted on 21/6/23 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Unfortunately the dishwasher option doesn't work, in my house the dishwasher is 'me'!!

I'll start with some hot water and detergent though, and see how far I get before I buy a new one... The main thing I was finding was the new ones didn't come with a cap, and since all the 'magic' was in the cap I at least wanted a genuine part for that.

Buy an Ebay tank and if necessary go to a VW main dealer for a genuine OEM cap.

nick205

posted on 22/6/23 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Following from above, you can also go to Skoda, Audi and Seat main dealers and get the same bits beware each brand likes to command their own price).

I know this, because I bought a rear wiper arm for my previous VW Passat from a Skoda main dealer (on the shelf and nearly £4 cheaper than the VW main dealer I'd have had to travel further to).

Slimy38

posted on 22/6/23 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Following from above, you can also go to Skoda, Audi and Seat main dealers and get the same bits beware each brand likes to command their own price).

I know this, because I bought a rear wiper arm for my previous VW Passat from a Skoda main dealer (on the shelf and nearly £4 cheaper than the VW main dealer I'd have had to travel further to).

Yep, I wanted a DSG drain bolt and washer for my Superb, unfortunately my local Skoda dealer is shockingly bad so I didn't even attempt to go there. I do have a VW dealer and a SEAT dealer, the SEAT dealer worked out cheaper.

Well, I say it would have been cheaper... it would have been if anyone had them in stock! I was quite shocked that for a 'service part' they didn't have any available.

Annoyingly I'm within range of a TPS counter which is the best place to get spares from, but this particular one enforces the 'trade only' rule which means no VAT number, no sale. The one in Derby near to where I used to work was fine for private sales.

nick205

posted on 22/6/23 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Slimy38 - sympathise with the stock issue on service parts!

Quite possibly it's part of a DSG service kit; oil, filter, washer, drain bolt etc, etc.

I know when SWMBOs Skoda has been in for a DSG service the invoice lists; DSG Service Kit £xx.xx + Labour £xx.xx

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.