Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Handbrake lever
Richard Quinn

posted on 3/2/08 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Handbrake lever

Does anyone happen to know of a compact handbrake lever which, when looking towards the front of the car, has the mounting lugs bent to the left (nearside)?
(small (very) prize for the winner!)
Thanks in advance

BenB

posted on 3/2/08 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I thought most handbrake levers have lugs to both the inside and the offside. Usually the front one points one way, the rear points the other....
Richard Quinn

posted on 3/2/08 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I believe the RalDes one has them both on the same side but it's sod's law that they are on the wrong side to make life less complicated for me!
caber

posted on 3/2/08 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
I used one off an old Range Rover. Very short and it fixes with bolts transverse to the length of the handle, one goes through the top rail of the tunnel the other goes through a short length of bar bolted to the top rail and through the bottom mount of the lever. It comes with a cranked pull rod so mine is mounted on the passenger side of the tunnel well out of the way of my left elbow. In the original application they are bolted direct to the gearbox casing so if you are in the scrappy you may have to go looking on the gearbox pile rather than in the body.

Caber

Richard Quinn

posted on 4/2/08 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
I don't suppose you happen to have any photos do you? I've found a photo of an old Rangie lever and the cable appears to enter vertically from underneath so I'm struggling to work out how you've mounted it.
Cheers

scutter

posted on 4/2/08 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I've a Montego handbrake fitted to mine, nice and short (about 11", just needs a lowered mount to stop it sticking up too far, i dropped mine by 2".

ATB Dan.

Pre sva 06
Pre sva 06

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 7/2/08 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
where are you trying to put it Richard?

I mounted mine on the side of the tunnel. Its an opel manta one which is mounted "sideways" by through bolts, i.e. the bolts go straight through the lever assembly. I mounted the main one in single shear straight through one of the transmission tunnel tubes and the other through the paneling as its only a "steady" bolt.

Meant I could get the entire lot in without taking up the passenger's arse room too much.

I really don't like handbrakes on top of the tunnel.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 7/2/08 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
see this pic, takes up very little space:

[img][/img]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Richard Quinn

posted on 7/2/08 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Nat,
I thought I'd tried virtually every conceivable option. In fact, I will be opening the National Handbrake Museum later this year!!
I was going down the passenger side but my passenger seat will be a little too snug so I'm back on a tunnel top option!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.