Board logo

push pull control cable question
number-1 - 29/7/12 at 07:43 PM

Afternoon folks

Im having problems with my gear change on a BEC. its using the push/pull control cable for changing gear but its not allowing me to change gears...i can sometimes get it ito 1st but cant get it back to N. Does anyone know if the sheath at the engine end should be able to come away from like it has in my pic? The sheath has moved towards the end of the cable leaving the wire inside to flex

PAUL FISHER - 29/7/12 at 07:51 PM

No they should be both fixed to the end of the cable, like mine in this photo
[img] MK PADDLE SHIFT FOR SALE
MK PADDLE SHIFT FOR SALE
[/img]

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

number-1 - 29/7/12 at 07:53 PM

Cheers Paul

With the sheath moved at the engine end, would that allow enough slack in the wire to prevent a gear change? or could there be more to my list of problems?

Mr C - 29/7/12 at 07:58 PM

They look a bit knackered. It looks like one has moved out and the other gone in. There's a few rubber seals missing as well. An mage of mine for comparison if it helps

PAUL FISHER - 29/7/12 at 08:00 PM

Yes I would say that is almost certainly your problem, cable tec is your best place to get a new one if you can't fix yours, cheap as chips

http://www.cable-tec.co.uk/Products/Push_Pull_Cables.asp

number-1 - 29/7/12 at 08:11 PM

Cheers Paul, ive just sent an email with a couple of pics

rachaeljf - 29/7/12 at 09:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr C
They look a bit knackered. It looks like one has moved out and the other gone in. There's a few rubber seals missing as well. An mage of mine for comparison if it helps

Mr C, what car is that gearchange off? It looks just right for one of my projects.

Thanks

Rachael

Mr C - 7/8/12 at 09:46 PM

Mr C, what car is that gearchange off? It looks just right for one of my projects.

Thanks

Rachael

Apologies for the delay in responding. Its from a GT4 Celica, the gearstick is inverted in the housing and then its actually mounted upside down, to get the bellcrank orientated for my application, if that makes sense.

The cable mounts and top plate are one off's though let me know if you need them and I may able to sort something

[Edited on 7/8/12 by Mr C]

rachaeljf - 7/8/12 at 10:06 PM

No worries, thanks for that. I did something just like that for my V6 X1/9's cable change; had to invert the stick and spin it 180 degrees.

I'm doing another cable change conversion project now and it's handy to note sources of nice compact bellcrank arrangements.

Cheers R