Board logo

Bees
joneh - 29/4/21 at 12:44 PM

Afternoon all,

Last year I decided that I'd do a bee keeping course, but due to the pandemic the practical sessions were delayed until later in the year, meaning we missed swarm season. Fast forward to last weekend and I had my first swarm turn up. These were caught locally, hanging off someone's house. We then dumped them out onto a ramp in front of my hive and they made their way up into the hive and have decided to stay.

I thought I'd share some pictures here as it was an amazing site to see a river of approximately 10,000 bees. I have a few more photos but the website decided to start moaning about filetypes.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

watsonpj - 29/4/21 at 01:57 PM

So cool, i have been thinking about doing this for a few years now so I'd bee :-) interested in updates on how you get on with it.

Slimy38 - 29/4/21 at 02:48 PM

We had a queen settle in one of the bushes at the front of the house, the swarm was massive but it was everywhere. We contacted a local beekeeper and they were more than happy to come and collect it. My wife went to see them a few days later and they were well established in a hive, we were so happy.

They warned us that occasionally the queen doesn't survive but they went fine. It must be such a satisfying hobby when they do establish a new hive.

Ian.C - 29/4/21 at 06:39 PM

Nice to here this, bee's are more important than most people think.

Ian.C - 29/4/21 at 06:41 PM

Yeah I spelt hear wrong, I'm not as young as I was!!