Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC mid engine
number-1

posted on 22/7/12 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
BEC mid engine

Evening all. Im a noob

Ive got a few questions i hope you can help me with?

Ive brought a mid engined BEC that was a non runner. Its got a GSXR1100 engine. Its got a hydraulic clutch and a push/pull rod to change gear. Does anyone know how hard it should be to select gears? From N to 1 took me a few mins to find and from 1 to N the same.

Its track only with no reverse so ive only driven up and down near my garage...10 metres max

As soon as i figure out how to upload pics i will get a few of the car

Cheers

N1

Jon Ison

posted on 22/7/12 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Finding neutral can be a pig sometimes, should drop into 1st though without any difficulties, 1st to 2nd is the clunkiest gear change, the faster you go the easier/slicker the gear change is though.

Make sure you have a stop on the clutch pedalnif it docent have one fit one, your left foot is a lot stronger than two fingers, it's possible to operate the clutch to far and cause damage.

Welcome btw.

matt_gsxr

posted on 22/7/12 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
If the oil is fresh and the clutch isn't sticking (i.e. engine has been run recently), you should be able to change the gears easily.

If engine stopped then you should be able change down to neutral, although finding neutral can be tricky sometimes (depending on the state of your gearchange mechanism).

Gearchanges are better still if things are moving and I do have the odd problem with finding neutral if I let the car stop (with the engine running) and the oil level is low or contaminated with fuel. I have always assumed this is clutch drag.

number-1

posted on 22/7/12 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, quick replies

You both may have hit the nail on the head. The cars been stood for 3-4 years. The oil is probably knackered. Ill get some new oil in it tomorrow.

And again, i was using the clutch like a car, pushing it right down. Ive got a zx10r race bike and use 2 fingers for the clutch so that was a very good point

I need to find a private closed road to test it on and see if its as it should be

Is there a way to add pics on here?

N1

number-1

posted on 22/7/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 22/7/12 by number-1]

T66

posted on 22/7/12 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
click on photo archive top left, upload them. Copy and paste the link to the thread....

phelpsa

posted on 22/7/12 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
My first two GSXR1100 engines were very difficult to find neutral in. The current one (rebuilt at the beginning of the season) has no trouble. So the answer is (I guess) that they shouldn't be difficult but it often can be. As Matt says, oil condition/level does seem to have some effect!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
T66

posted on 22/7/12 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
That looks really good, whats the chassis like ?

number-1

posted on 22/7/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
It started life as a hill climb car with a car engine..

Then the guy i brought it off...conceptracing.co.uk stripped it, made it a single seater, hand made the body work and turned it into a BEC

matt_gsxr

posted on 23/7/12 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Out of interest, is the gsxr1100 a watercooled or air/oil cooled model?
number-1

posted on 23/7/12 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
It's water cooled. I think it's a W model.
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 23/7/12 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
The watercooled (WP onwards) engines are incredibly good, very strong and VERY tuneable. Your pocket will be the limiting factor, but the engines can take a huge amount of abuse, from excessive boring to forced induction. Play.

As for neutral, it only takes the slightest loss of the points on the drum (normal wear) and gears become less selectable. I suspect, however, that as you get used to the powerplant it'll all seem very much better than it may do at the moment.

I guess you could always fit a Pinto if it all seems too much :-)

number-1

posted on 23/7/12 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
hahaha...the good old pinto!

Its got a hand made forced induction, sort of ram air. I will get a pic up tomorrow.

I think the main issues for me is getting it somehwhere to give it a shakedown. Im looking at getting it on a dyno to iron out any issues but first need to get a tow bar/electrics etc

Im 6'1 and couldnt fit in it with the old seat. The guy i got it off was about 5'5 so I need to get another race seat thats wider, and with a more upright position.

matt_gsxr

posted on 23/7/12 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
That makes 3 gsxr1100wp on here (well Cloudy has moved on to R1, but I think he regrets it).
number-1

posted on 23/7/12 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
What sort of power will a standard lump kick out?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.