Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R5 Turbo chances
thetankwad

posted on 18/12/02 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
R5 Turbo chances

Yalo. after much research and igniting my R5 (loooong story) i am left with a turbo engine and box. my thought lye on 2 possibilities 1. the 1.4 lump is a stonker, so why not pop a rear drive box on and go from there on the traditional route, or 2. mount in behind the seats in the original position. so far i've only got sizes and a drawing for strengthening a chassis to fit one. Any ideas on suspension, cos thats the real pickle thats got me. At the moment i'm still open to other ideas, so alls welcome
theconrodkid

posted on 18/12/02 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
are you talking the turbo 2 rear engined jobbie?my midi chassis is basicly a 7 chassis a bit wider,shorter front,longer rear and no tranny tunnel,easy peasy
robinbastd

posted on 19/12/02 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Do it!!
A mate of mine runs a Sylva Mojo with a 5 turbo engine and it is as fast as any bike engined 7,so why bother with front engine/rwd when you already have the gearbox bolted to the engine. The car in question is on one of the Renault turbo owners club sites. Remember that there is only one place for the engine to go!!
regards Ian

thetankwad

posted on 19/12/02 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
nah, its the FWD model, but i'm sure that the engine can go in the rear provided it faces the same way. I'm split now, cos rumour has it that 340 volvos use renault 5 engines, and being rwd they would have a drivetrain that would suit. oh, and they're shite, so scrapyards should be full of them. I'm just pondering if they have reliable gearboxes and driveline components. If not, the Rear engine idea might be the better option. Ps, have any of you got any pics of completed or progressing 7's with mid engines, or know any good links to places that do?
TheGecko

posted on 19/12/02 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
RE: photos of middys

Try: http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/
&
http://www.newtier.com/graber/mid-engine/
for two builds making good progress.

My site http://www.DIYSportsCar.org is somewhat out of date but construction will start in the next week or two so expect some updates soon.

Hope this helps,

Dominic

theconrodkid

posted on 19/12/02 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
problem with the volvo 340 is it has a transaxle at the rear,the bell housing has the clutch in it thenon to the prop
Rorty

posted on 20/12/02 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
Tankwad, there are also pics I posted in the Photos section under Rorty, or you could have a look at my site too. I've built a few mid engined cars.
www.rortydesign.com

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.