Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX12 yum yum
Moorron

posted on 13/11/08 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
ZX12 yum yum

Ok then ive got loads of ZX12 engine related questions to come (wiring to be done last) from those who have used this engine in their build (Phil).

Here is an update.
Last night I managed to get the CBR1000F engine out relatively easy on my own and that included the prop shaft as it was stuck to the prop adaptor. I will get some photos up soon but wow, standing the engines next to each other makes the ZX12 one look huge! But measuring them with a tape actually shows they aren’t that different. The ZX12 has a larger clutch cover which only takes up space to the front of the car and its empty up there so good news. I think the zx12 looks larger as it’s got all the wiring, throttle bodies and water pipes still attached where as the CBR is naked.

Quickly measuring the position of the prop adaptor and the original engine cradle shows I might get lucky and not need to alter the prop length or even make a new cradle up, all I will need to do it add some new engine mount attachments onto it. I will find out the w/e if this is true.

But here is my first question. I don’t want to make a new tank to include the new internal bike fuel pump. I will if needed but i am trying to avoid it at the minute. I am currently not using the CBR’s fuel pump and have an injection pump running a return to the tank and a pressure regulator. What I need to know is what pressure does the ZX12r engines fuel pump run at? I can’t find any tech info from the available service manuals online. Mine is a 2003 engine without a return to the tank, if no one knows I am going to have to run the pump in a bowl of fuel to see what pressure it runs at, which is messy and dangerous.

I will use the zx12 bike fuel pump wiring as its needed anyway to feed info to the ecu so it seems a shame to have it there for this purpose only. Does anyone think this is a bad idea?

Cheers

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

woodster

posted on 13/11/08 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Mr Hellfire should be along soon the guru of all things zx12

[Edited on 13/11/08 by woodster]

Hellfire

posted on 13/11/08 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC, the fuel pressure is 40psi. I'll double check when I get home tonight.

Phil

Moorron

posted on 13/11/08 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
cheers. i think my fuel pump is 3.5 bar so it should do it with ease.

tadltd

posted on 13/11/08 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
I can confirm Mr. Hellfire's answer, it is 40psi.

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 13/11/08 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
No need to check then now. Cheers Steve, hope you're keeping well.

Phil

Moorron

posted on 14/11/08 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks.

Last night when i got in from work i tackled the new engine. Wow so lucky and easier then i thought. I cut off the old lower engine mounts from the chassis rail, put the engine on the hoist and pushed it above the engine bay, as i lowered it i connected the existing prop to see if it would be the right length. And how good is this, its perfect. Leaves about 15mm at the back of the engine (or side?) to the pasengers footwell firewall panel.

Then with the aid of some spare house bricks i tried to position the engines height so i could try the bonnet. i really want to keep the bonnet unholed but the sump clearance is also important and im driving the engine height fromt he original engines sump height as i know that clears all the speed bumps round here. If i do this then the throttle bodies fit under the bonnet but not the trumpets. looks like a carbon mods bonnet vent is going to be needed .

ive looked at ZX12 owners photos on here to try and give me some guide on the height they chose and the position sideways for the engine. I think mine is ok sideways (about 2" from the passenger side rail, but not parrallel). But i might lower it 1" and cut the sump if needed, im now using the oil filters housing which is sitting above the lower chassis rail as a guide for height. I can get my fingers between mine meaning its about 1" above it.

How much clearance has yours got ZX12 owners?

Anyway im out xmas ffffing shopping with her today, but i think i will have the engine installed by the end of saturday! well chuffed with that.

Also my power cammander and clutch springs came today from PDQ. Even more wiring lol

Cheers
Andy

Moorron

posted on 14/11/08 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Forgot to say that the original bike cradle almost fits around the new engine, i slight mod is needed to get past a few bolt heads at the front of the engine. New mounts will be needed at the upper gearbox mounts but its all bolts to the brackets already on the out chassis rails.

Again this has saved me a load of time thinking i needed to make a whole new cradle.

Hellfire

posted on 14/11/08 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Our chopped sump sits about 1" below the chassis rail and we haven't bottomed out on any speed humps yet..............

The foam filter that fits over the ram pipes just touches the underside of the MK bonnet which has the bulge incorporated.

Hope this helps

Phil

eddbaz

posted on 14/11/08 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the green side.
TimC

posted on 14/11/08 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome. The only downside is the motor won't match the chassis VIN any longer.

Having said that it doesn't match the owner any longer either!

Moorron

posted on 14/11/08 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
ive managed to get the engine to sit on its own now, i still need to make the lower mounts but i need to get some box section from work.

The sump is 25mm lower than the old engine, i might take it off move the drain plug to the side and remove the nodes that pretect it, thats 20 odd mm.

the lst thing i will do is decide on the bonnet vent, a very slim air box descarding the trumpets or re angle the throttle bodies but its a month or so away before i can start it.

Tim, yeah it does make it odd will have to grind it off lol

Moorron

posted on 16/11/08 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Well after this weekend i have got the engine in.

My lucks just way to good at the moment, not only does the prop fit without mods other than the prop adaptor, the cradle needed little work, the paddle shift fits straight on. The exhaust fromt he old engine has the right sizes clamp plates so i need no new parts just a few days work and the water pipes can be reused so i only need a few new elbows to finish that.

hope the pic works

engines in
engines in

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.