Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Golf ECU chipping?
cadebytiger

posted on 7/5/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Golf ECU chipping?

I was just wondering what the general consensus is on chipping is?

Seem to remember a few good diesel results but what about the petrols?

I have a golf gti mrk4 (150hp)

Just wondering really. Thanks

Rupert

tegwin

posted on 7/5/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
That is all going to depend on what engine it is... is that the 2.0L or the 1.8T GTI?

If it is the 1.8T then yes... a well chosen chip should take you up to 180hp... a better chip with a bigger intercooler and some fiddling would take you to around 220...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

McLannahan

posted on 7/5/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I had my old AUM engine'd MK4 Golf turbo (2001) chipped by Revo.

Made a fantastic difference- completely transformed the car. Economy went up went I drove it sensibly. Clutch was fine - held up well.

Traction control could sometimes be a little brutal and front wheels would thump under extreme acceleration.

I was very happy with mine, made it what the GTi should have been in the MK4!

bassett

posted on 7/5/09 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely do it. Reliability wise it puts a minor additional strain through increased boost pressure and optimised running but no one has problems. It isnt old school style chipping, ecu is flashed through diagnostics plug so is completely reversible and almost undetectable from vw equipment. Gains should be 40bhp and more than that in torque maybe more if K03s turbo. Will be remaping my K04 turbo'd leon soon at AMD Essex for about 260-275hbhp. Worth while (if you havent already) getting a forge dump valve 007p, cotton/foam panel filter and uprated turbo intake pipe for optimal running with the map as although stage one maps are generic they have some adjustability.
Adam

[Edited on 7/5/09 by bassett]

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

McLannahan

posted on 7/5/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
That is all going to depend on what engine it is... is that the 2.0L or the 1.8T GTI?

If it is the 1.8T then yes... a well chosen chip should take you up to 180hp... a better chip with a bigger intercooler and some fiddling would take you to around 220...

All Mk4's were 1.8t - Mk5 was the 2.0.

Early engines (pre 2000) will chip to about 180/190 later engines will chip to 210 ish. Later engines had better turbos and more tuneability.

Having said that the early engines (AGU I think) can take a good hammering and are often the engine transplant of choice into other VAG's.

Mine was chipped for 220. I take that with a big pinch of salt but was noticeably faster and more powerful than similar cars and engines.

Mad Dave

Have a chat with my mate Simon at CCCTech
stevem2727

I have a 54 plated skoda octavia vrs which i had chipped and it made a huge difference,much more responsive.Only downfall was the fuel consumption took a big hit even when being light on the throttle.
skydivepaul

posted on 8/5/09 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
i can recommend jabbasport they are experts on the VAG 1.8 and 2.o turbo engines. they did a custom remap on my audi 1.8T. i asked what they could do and they replied how much do you want!!!! i asked for as much power without hurting the fuel consumption. i got 228BHP with 32mpg on a 52 plate A6. not the cheapest place at £500 but they had it on the rollers for 3 hours. top result.

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

cadebytiger

posted on 8/5/09 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thank guys!

What does this do to your insurance? I'm assuming you have to tell them and I cannot imagine they would look fondly on them!

cadebytiger

posted on 11/5/09 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
I'm interested in the the Revo ECU remap. It seems quite expensive at £400 for a bit of software!

Does anyone know of anyway to get this software in a locost fashion??

Thanks for all the advice

McLannahan

posted on 11/5/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi - Revo is one of the more expensive but there's plenty of cheaper alternatives. This forum has loads of advice on it and it's well worth asking others what they recommend for your engine type. If you don't know which one it is it'll tell you on the white sticker under the boot carpet.

http://uk-mkivs.net/

Chipped UK are cheaper than many and have quite good reviews and support too. They're offering a £250 all in service at the moment according to this post...

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/258306.aspx

Don't try to skimp too much to save money on this - I'd stick with the forum recommendations. My clutch was fine afer my mapping but it's not uncommon for people to go through what was left on their old clutch with all the new power the map releases!

Hope that helps a little

Cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.