Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sylva J15 tank proposal
theprisioner

posted on 6/3/12 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Sylva J15 tank proposal

I have just received my Sylva J15 kit - petrol tank. That was always my intention as I hoped to make more room in the passenger footwell with a new design. It turns out if you make a retangular tank 250 x 410 x 310 and cut a trangular lump out of it for extra leg room you only loose 0.4 gallons of range.

The Idea is the filler is now external to the bonnet requireing something like the JJC Alloy Fuel Tank Splash Bowl
see: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/fuel-filler-caps/jjc-alloy-fuel-tank-splash-bowl

Assuming I

1) put edging around the bonet over the tank filler recess

2) Put a radius around the tank filler plug

Would it pass IVA inspection/approval?

snakebelly

posted on 6/3/12 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
could you make the picture a bit bigger please..........

[Edited on 6/3/12 by snakebelly]

matt_gsxr

posted on 6/3/12 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Best to give the manual a read:

I found

10. The fuel tank must be positioned so that in the event of a leak the fuel could
not accumulate or find a path to the passenger compartment. (if fitted in a
compartment there must be a drain which does not exit onto a heat source)

11. A Fuel Tank must not be located in, or form part of the passenger
compartment, or other compartment integral with it and the bulkhead that
separate the passengers from the fuel tank must be free from holes through
which any escaped fuel could travel.

nickm

posted on 6/3/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
Im leaving mine as it is if you make the passenger too comfortable your gonna have loads of kgs of ballast slowing you down !!!!
and probably earache at the same time although no roof also helps in that department you can pretend you cant hear them and then after an hour of trying to shout above the wind noise they lose they voice !!

Did you have a good day on Sunday ?

Nick M

monkeyarms

posted on 6/3/12 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
It wont be just the tank shape that needs to be modified but also the paneling for the bulkhead too, so to maintain the extra space created, the bulkhead would need to follow the new shape. So plan ahead carefully with regard this.
theprisioner

posted on 7/3/12 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
Picking up the kit

See: http://youtu.be/r_IwNYjZRhU

I agreee about all the issues raised, I am determined to improve the passenger space. I wouln't get any of my pals to share the J15 experiance with the standard tank. The proposal is not right, I will however find one that is eventually.

monkeyarms

posted on 7/3/12 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
You could gain simply make a "thinner" standard tank and gain, say 100mm at the expense of fuel capacity?
Or there may be some chance behind the passenger seat, I will have a look at weekend when I am next in the garage to see what space there is.

Did you have a passenger in Jeremys J15? I did, my 6 foot 3inch friend and he was ok, legs bent a little obviously.

theprisioner

posted on 8/3/12 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Latest thoughts

Taking into account the comments above, which were thought provoking, I have another try at a custom tank.

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/Tank No 2 mockup.jpg

It gives me an extra 3-4 inches legroom with a capacity of about 4 - 5 gallons.

It requires a sealed tray on the bulkhead to direct any spilt/leaking fuel to the ground.

BIG ASK

Can someone measure between the chassis rail lower to the point nearest the bulkhead at the bottom of a closed bonnet/hood.

monkeyarms

posted on 9/3/12 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theprisioner

Can someone measure between the chassis rail lower to the point nearest the bulkhead at the bottom of a closed bonnet/hood.

Not quiet sure what you mean here, can you clarify it bit please? sketch maybe ?
Im in the garage all weekend, monday & tuesday too so fire away with questions

theprisioner

posted on 10/3/12 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Tank space dimentions

d1 and d2 is what I need right now?

monkeyarms

posted on 11/3/12 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, from your sketch D1 = 455 and D2 = 485, approx as it is difficult to get in with a tape/rule.

In case it is any use the Sylva tank is 400 tall + 50 to very top of filler cap, the cap being nearer D2.

The may a chance a fule tank could be located behind the passenger seat, with some carefull planning of where water, fuel & clutch pipes go.
I have my battery in this area along with ECU and wiring loom etc but I dont see why you couldnt make room for
a reasonable size tank. I have attched some photos from earlier in my build to give you an idea of the space.
Hope this helps

[Edited on 11/3/12 by monkeyarms]

theprisioner

posted on 11/3/12 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for measurements

Thanks for the meautements, this single act has convinced me I am on the right track with the change in shape of the front tank. AllI have to do now is satify the IVA that no fuel can enter the passenger footwell. I think I have a mechanical startegy here that can solve that issue using a sacrificial tray below the tank.

Anyway further to your comments about the battery and the fuse box I would welcoime some more pics of your build in that direction please?

Paul AS

posted on 11/4/12 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,

my J15 tank is behind the drivers seat. I holds just under 5 gallons, uses the fiesta fuel pump, is baffelled, sumped and vented and will fill from the outside of the main body tub. I re-routed the gear linkage slightly, with JP's blessing and have re-routed some of the coolant pipes.

There is room to work on the suspension components, and remove the oil filter easily.

Brake pipes were considered very early on, and are routed high up.

It was made by Glynn at Allyfab in Cheterfield, cost £220 all up and seems to satisfy all the IVA requirements. I have a bulkhead between the tank and the engine, even though it says nothing about needing one. It is sealed from the passenger compartment and cannot be filled from inside the engine bay.

If someone explains how, i will post some photos, some of which, some of you may have already seen.

Paul

Paul AS

posted on 11/4/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Think i've worked it out

Hopefully when i look,the picture will be there!!

Paul AS

posted on 11/4/12 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
No it isn't!!

They're in my photo archive anyway!

Paul

theprisioner

posted on 11/4/12 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Allyfab

Hi,
My "inverted L" is being made by Bryn as we speak, I will post pictures when it retuurns, great guy Bryn. I didn't go your route as I wanted to keep to the original tank position but gain extra leg room. I don't think there is anything wrong with your approach I just "did it my way". I hope we both get through the rabbit warren of the IVA.

matt_gsxr

posted on 11/4/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
J15 fuel tank
J15 fuel tank

J15 fuel tank
J15 fuel tank

J15 fuel tank
J15 fuel tank

J15 Fuel tank
J15 Fuel tank

J15 fuel tank
J15 fuel tank

Paul AS

posted on 11/4/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Matt,

One day I aspire to such skills .............. for now i'll rely on people smarter than me

Paul

theprisioner

posted on 3/5/12 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Allyfab tank back

And I get the extra passenger leg room with 5.8 gals of capacity

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.