Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Towing question - caravan (no sniggers please)
richard thomas

posted on 8/6/15 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Towing question - caravan (no sniggers please)

Hallo all,

Any experts on towing limits here?

I have a Renault Grand Espace 2.0DCi (2007) 170HP, need to know what the maximum load I can legally tow is....book says 2000kg braked weight, but unsure of total Train Weight restrictions given maximum mass of car.....

It seems complicated, Towsure website conflicts with advice from local caravan dealer....looking at a 1600kg caravan, dealer says no, website says yes.......?

Ta

[Edited on 8/6/15 by richard thomas]

Ninehigh

posted on 8/6/15 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
If I understand correctly, total train weight mustn't exceed 3500kg, or 4250 under some other circumstance. Also the trailer can't be heavier than the vehicle (again iirc)

Ben_Copeland

posted on 9/6/15 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
It would also depend on which licence you have. Old one that can drive 7.5t lorries or new one that has 3.5t limit

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

cliftyhanger

posted on 9/6/15 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
Watch what mass you are quoting on the van. You need the max mass, ie fully loaded (mass in running order??)

What mass is car, loaded (kerb weight)

are you restricted to 3500kg? That will be the killer.............

http://www.uktow.com/towing%20capacity.asp?make=Renault&model1=Grand%20Espace

Bluemoon

posted on 9/6/15 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
This may help:

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.u k/helpandadvice/technicalhelp/towing/matching-car-and-caravan/

It's a minefield; it's really simple but has been made over complicated hope the linky helps.

Dan

richard thomas

posted on 9/6/15 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Luckily I'm on an old licence......

The caravan is 1600kg loaded......I'm confident that it's under 100% of the car weight (car about 1900kg) and the car manual states 2000kg braked towing weight, it's just the train weight that's confusing me.....

neilp1

posted on 9/6/15 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
I think the caravan dealers work on 85% kerbweight of the car. Car must be heavier. If you are experienced at towing i think you can go 100%.
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/6/15 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
weight should be ok but depends greatly on your engine performance so only a test run will give you a real indication, try a few small hills too

watch your carvan tyre pressures, even at exactly the correct pressure mine get hot which isn't very supprising really as there taking the weight of a car on two wheels and just going at 70 mph got mine so hot I took it back down to 50 mph !

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 9/6/15 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
You can find all the info you need here..

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/driving-licence-rules-and-what-you-can-tow

You need to check your car year/model is homologated for towing. Manufacturers do not include all models for towing as they have to test each version, expensive..

You need to know the gross train weight for your model. If its not listed its not homologated for towing...

Maximum speed with a trailer is 60mph.........

[Edited on 9/6/15 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

cliftyhanger

posted on 9/6/15 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
If you are limited to 3500kg (you have not yet said) then about 1900 car and 1600kg caravan puts you on the absolute limit. Any more and you could get into trouble. Unlikely unless involved in an accident, at which point everything becomes clear.

So check what you are allowed to tow, and you then need the maximum caravan weight and car weight. Too close to just say it will be OK!

avagolen

posted on 9/6/15 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, a little experience here.

The caravan MTPLM (max design gross weight of caravan and all stuff in it - should be on a plate fixed to the van) should not exceed 85% of the towing vehicle and be equal or lower than the car towing limit. If you are a very experienced caravan tower, you can go higher, but remember the van is a BIG sail and easily gets upset by passing vehicles.

Towing a trailer is far easier.

Hitch load of car and the van tow hitch are very important. You must use the lower value car or van.
Check the caravan hitch weight once it is loaded, do not guess, measure as it effects stability.
Bathroom scales and a length of wood are good enough. Caravan should be level.

Keep heavy weights as near to the caravan axle as possible. Nothing of any weight up high or at the rear of the caravan.

As previously stated, ensure caravan tires are in good condition and pressures are correct.
New regulations are going for 5 years old and then discard. Tires rarely wear out, just perish.

HTH,

Len.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

K13JOB

posted on 9/6/15 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget to factor in all the stuff and passengers you will have in the car and van, When I was pulled over on a spot check by VOSA pulling my Box trailer I was lucky. I passed each axle weight and trailer weight ok, but if I had a passenger in the car I could easily have exceeded the gross train weight.
Simon

posted on 9/6/15 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Alternatively buy a Lunar caravan as v light - we have 6 berth Freelander which is 1140 kg iirc - which i pull with my 150bhp Espace (and previous one too)
Sadly we are selling due to lack of use after service etc.

ATB

Simon.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.