Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: No engine number
johnwilders

posted on 30/3/22 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
No engine number

Hi all, I've been away for a while. in the meantime I have built myself a new 1600 crossflow for my Locost. This engine has never had an engine number, full block height, not been decked or tampered with. I acquired it from an old friend about six years ago, he told me he removed it from a scraped mini road sweeper years previously. After a bit of research this ties in with why its never had a number. new engines supplied to other manufactures weren't stamped. My problem being how do I get this on my V5C Registration. You cant seem to speak to anyone at DVLA any more and none of the on line boxes seem to fit my situation. Everything wanted, Invoices, Proof of purchase, ENGINE NUMBER, Inside leg & shoe size etc. Has anybody else had & overcome this problem.
Deckman001

posted on 30/3/22 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Oops I re read your post and realised that you are already on the road, so just put your original number on the new block and turn the original block into a boat anchor

[Edited on 30/3/22 by Deckman001]

gremlin1234

posted on 30/3/22 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
the way that Ford used to do it when supplying a replacement engine was to put the number from the original on the replacement.

also the engine number was used as part of the vin.

note quite a few cars used to have an engine number 1342, or 153624

as deckman says, just use the original number on the replacement engine. then also if the size hasn't changed, you don't need to change the v5.

johnwilders

posted on 30/3/22 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
No Engine number

Thanks for the reply's, I would swap the engine numbers but the old engine is 1300 & new one is 1600, it would also make two engines with the same number.
snapper

posted on 30/3/22 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Rather back yourself in to a corner then.
You can’t have both engines but you could pull the pistons out of the 1300 for the 1600 which gives more compression and dump the 1300 after grinding off the engine number but if you insist on trying to keep both then DVLA will not makeup an engine number as that is the manufacturers job and Ford won’t help in this case.
You cant have your cake and eat it in this case…

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

johnwilders

posted on 30/3/22 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if I could say that I've increased the capacity by fitting another block. It does have 1300 pistons, the unleaded worked head & 234 cam from the 1300. I'm not that bothered about the 1300 engine, I'll just shove that under the bench.
SteveWalker

posted on 30/3/22 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Get hold of an old 1600 block use its number and then destroy it?
Mr Whippy

posted on 31/3/22 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
My old JBA Falcon had a Ford factory recon engine and like wise just had a blank space where the number should have been. I re-stamped a new number from a photo of one I found on the web.

What you have to remember is the DVLA's database is a total mess, there was a post a few years ago with an extract and it was dreadful, full of typo's and mistakes. They will not have any ability to cross reference engine numbers so I would personally either just use the 1300's number or make one up based on it's format. Especially since you have the car already on the road.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 31/3/22 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
If you machined your own block and heads, and stuck that in, what number would you use?

[Edited on 31/3/22 by coyoteboy]

Mr Whippy

posted on 31/3/22 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
If you machined your own block and heads, and stuck that in, what number would you use?

[Edited on 31/3/22 by coyoteboy]

If your the manufacturer then surely its up to you to come up with something. It just needs a number.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
johnwilders

posted on 31/3/22 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Good point guys, as I said at the start, I've been away for a while busy with another project (building a house) I'd just like to say it's nice to see so many of the old name's still here from my first time round.
gremlin1234

posted on 31/3/22 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I think the simplest to satisfy the paperwork, is to replicate the existing number that it replaces, and use an 'X' suffix

you are telling them it goes up in tax, (increased CC) so should not be any problem.
(they would look more if you say you have reduced the CC, and tax due)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.