Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Handbrake Warning Light Switch question
John Bonnett

posted on 29/10/22 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Handbrake Warning Light Switch question

I'd like to incorporate a handbrake warning light on the project and will need a micro switch actuated by the handbrake lever. If anyone has any photos of how they have mounted the switch and can let me know what switch they have used that would be enormously useful.

Thank you.

adithorp

posted on 29/10/22 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
I think most will have used the OE switch from the donor handbrake. Usually they just have the switch mounted on the bracket and a tab on the side of the lever presses it when the lever is off.

Probably easiest to use an OE switch, as they're a bit bigger and less fiddly than a true micro switch, and make up fittings to suit. Shouldn't be difficult for a man of your ability

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

John Bonnett

posted on 29/10/22 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I think most will have used the OE switch from the donor handbrake. Usually they just have the switch mounted on the bracket and a tab on the side of the lever presses it when the lever is off.

Probably easiest to use an OE switch, as they're a bit bigger and less fiddly than a true micro switch, and make up fittings to suit. Shouldn't be difficult for a man of your ability

Ha ha, what ability but thank you for the vote of confidence Adi. Actually I am using the handbrake from the donor but being a Reliant Kitten it never had the handbrake warning light which is why I wondered what others had done.

SteveWalker

posted on 29/10/22 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know the arrangement of the kitten handbrake, but most cars have the lever pivoted in a base that screws to the tunnel. If it was like that, I'd look at a simple U-bracket, with one side of the U bolted down with a handbrake mounting bolt; a round, push-button switch mounted through the other side, pointing upwards; and an L-bracket screwed or welded to the moving part to press down on it. The whole thing could be hidden by a gaiter.
ianhurley20

posted on 29/10/22 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a bit make it work whatever type. My last car had a Sierra handbrake and I welded a switch off an MX5 handbrake to work as the trigger. Worked well but it was a bit heath Robinson - just about to do the same on my Ford handbraked Legarra.

John Bonnett

posted on 30/10/22 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
I'm a bit make it work whatever type. My last car had a Sierra handbrake and I welded a switch off an MX5 handbrake to work as the trigger. Worked well but it was a bit heath Robinson - just about to do the same on my Ford handbraked Legarra.

Ian thank you for your reply and good to hear from you. I'll do the same as you and cobble something together using a switch from a mainstream supplier.

Kind regards John

40inches

posted on 30/10/22 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Is this for IVA? If so the switch can be anywhere. I have a push button starter so used the start position on the ignition switch.
John Bonnett

posted on 30/10/22 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Is this for IVA? If so the switch can be anywhere. I have a push button starter so used the start position on the ignition switch.

No, it's just a feature I'd like to have.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.