Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Repairing Hi-fi Speakers
RPS

posted on 26/8/05 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Repairing Hi-fi Speakers

I thought that a few of the more frugal locosters may be interested in this.

A few weeks ago the kids had my old AC/DC album (If you want blood) cranked up at full volume. The only problem was that they had left the loudness button on and it blew one of the woofer surrounds on my nice old mission speakers. The foam seems to have perished somewhat over the years.

I phoned around hi-fi shops and looked on the net to see if I could get it repaired or even a new mission driver, but to no avail, all they wanted to do was to sell me a new pair of speakers.

Determined that I did not want to part with more of my hard earned money than I had to, I searched further a-field and was enlightened to the world of refoaming speakers. I found an American business (http://www.citlink.net/~msound/) that supplies complete DIY refoaming kits with full instructions. The mission speakers I have are non-standard sizes and the guy sent me a detailed set of instructions on how to get around the problem.

So I ordered my kit quite reasonably priced, waited 10 days for it to arrive and a few hours later my speaker has been refoamed, ready to withstand the challenges of even Black Sabboth’s Iron Man (a kids favourite you know).

So if you ever blow your woofer, there’s no need to fret, just use those Locosting skills and get refoaming!

RPS

Hellfire

posted on 26/8/05 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Well that is just typical - I just 'BINNED' my set after not being able to source new drivers. My AR speakers went exactly the same way... ironically whilst listening to Whitesnake.

So my £1000+ speakers ended up in the skip a few months ago. Still I now have a nice set of REGA speakers... not quite the same bass response but a lot less floor area is being taken up. I dont think my neighbours liked my AR's

Good info. if a little late

serendipity123

posted on 26/8/05 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
i think from memory mission are based in huntingdon cambs i called them and they send me a new tweeter
omega 24 v6

posted on 26/8/05 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
How strange is it that all our kids are into OUR music. My lads got Sabbath, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Nirvana,Motorhead etc playing all the time.
I even heard him listening to my Queen day at the races album the other night and he said it was good.
We must be super parents and our musical tastes are those of a teenager.
We are still young at heart I reckon
Though the body looks like I had an enormous paper round when I was younger

RPS

posted on 26/8/05 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
It's great fun helping them 'discover' 'new' music.

I played them Queen's 'Stone Cold Crazy' from the Sheer Heart Attack album and they thought it was great!

Russ-Turner

posted on 26/8/05 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
How strange is it that all our kids are into OUR music. My lads got Sabbath, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Nirvana,Motorhead etc playing all the time.
I even heard him listening to my Queen day at the races album the other night and he said it was good.
We must be super parents and our musical tastes are those of a teenager.
We are still young at heart I reckon
Though the body looks like I had an enormous paper round when I was younger

Good music will always be just that IMO. I can tell you for a fact that no-one will be listening to some of the sh!t that gets sicked up into the charts these days in twenty years time. (and i'm 23! ) I should write something myself the amount of crap that gets to number one!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 26/8/05 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I don't mind listening to my dad's music (Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy etc.) in the car, but I wouldnt say it would be my first choice He actually knows alot of the words to my music

[Edited on 26-8-05 by phelpsa]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 26/8/05 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Actually - a lot of today's music is quite good. It's such a shame most of it isn't backed by the corporates that need it to get into the charts and to number one thereby generating them so much money. This is precisely why SONY, BMG et al do not like open source downloading... not because it cost's them money, but because they can't control what they feed you. With the advent of the internet and P2P I listen to so much 'unheard of' music it's great!

IMHO of course!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 27/8/05 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
go on phelps what you into?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.