Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade Speedo sender
grafter

posted on 17/1/07 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Fireblade Speedo sender

I am building a Indyblade and using the clocks from the bike. How have others on this forum handled the sender end of them??

Any help is appreciated.

mike smith1

posted on 18/1/07 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
What is the age of the engine?

There are two types of sensor, pre 98 is a wheel type that picked up on the sprocket and the post 98 is a sensor which counts teeth in the gearbox, you can hower use the post 98 sensor mounted externally counting bolt heads on the prop shaft adaptor.

I will look for a picture as i have used a post 98 sensor mounted counting magnets on the propshaft adaptor, however i am having trouble getting the speedo to work, but am going to adjust it so that it counts the bolt heads, this should hopefully rectify the problem.

Hope you can understand the waffle above

Mike

Hellfire

posted on 18/1/07 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
If it's the sender that picks up from the sprocket bolt, have a look at our build diary to see how we did it. As you'll see, we basically ran it as a wheel on the diff output flange. It worked brilliantly.

Phil

ReMan

posted on 18/1/07 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mike smith1

There are two types of sensor, pre 98 is a wheel type that picked up on the sprocket and the post 98 is a sensor which counts teeth in the gearbox, you can hower use the post 98 sensor mounted externally counting bolt heads on the prop shaft adaptor.

I will look for a picture as i have used a post 98 sensor mounted counting magnets on the propshaft adaptor, however i am having trouble getting the speedo to work, but am going to adjust it so that it counts the bolt heads, this should hopefully rectify the problem.

Mike

I did this but used 6 magnets on the driveshaft output of the diff, ran it though a yellowbox type speedohealer and got it spot on at SVA.
It's gone a bit of since due to a slight wobble on the sensor mounting bracket.
If I did it again I would probably do the same but mount it at the rear of the propshaft/diff input again using magnets. Will try and post a pic later.
HTH
Col

mike smith1

posted on 18/1/07 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
quote:
Originally posted by mike smith1

Mike

I did this but used 6 magnets on the driveshaft output of the diff, ran it though a yellowbox type speedohealer and got it spot on at SVA.
It's gone a bit of since due to a slight wobble on the sensor mounting bracket.
If I did it again I would probably do the same but mount it at the rear of the propshaft/diff input again using magnets. Will try and post a pic later.
HTH
Col

Where did you get the magnets from i got two magnets from avonner on here and i cant find any anywhere. even u2u'd him and he didnt reply

Cheers Mike

grafter

posted on 19/1/07 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Hellfire,

I looked thru your build diary and found where you did it. I think I will try replicate the type of mounting bracked you made.

Hellfire

posted on 19/1/07 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
If you need any help with it, let us know. Oh, and the spring that holds it onto the output doesn't need to be strong....

Good luck

Phil

ReMan

posted on 19/1/07 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Where did you get the magnets from i got two magnets from avonner on here and i cant find any anywhere. even u2u'd him and he didnt reply
Cheers Mike

Sorry for the delay.
I "found" my magnets
But I reckon they are the same as these on this UK shop here
http://emagnetsuk.com/index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=48

about 25x5x3.
My pic of how is below, the magnets all but hold themselves as mine have two sided tape one side, the PVC tape really just to protect and hold whilst curing.
In the Mark 2 I actully have now cut the magents in two as they did'nt need to be that long
HTH
Col

[Edited on 19/1/07 by ReMan]

[Edited on 19/1/07 by ReMan] Rescued attachment S179_7993.jpg
Rescued attachment S179_7993.jpg

the_fbi

posted on 20/1/07 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
According to the wiring diagram I have, the standard blade (internal gearbox) sender has 3 wires, +12v, gnd and the speed output.

This is weird, given they are normally just 2 wire senders.

How have you guys wired them up? I need to connect mine to the Acewell, which has just 2 wires.

Gnd the Gnd from the sender, then just use the other 2 for the Acewells 2 wires?

ta
Chris

ReMan

posted on 20/1/07 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Sorry I don't know specifiacally about the Acewell , but I guess if it's only a 2 wire sensor then it could be a reed switch?
We have used the standard Blade sensor, inrto the blade speedo, so no issues like yours

the_fbi

posted on 20/1/07 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Hi,
Sorry I don't know specifiacally about the Acewell , but I guess if it's only a 2 wire sensor then it could be a reed switch?
We have used the standard Blade sensor, inrto the blade speedo, so no issues like yours

The acewell is a reed switch, but both blade sensor and reed switch create pulses so can't see it being too different.

I'll have to have a play when ive fixed my fuel filter.

mark chandler

posted on 20/1/07 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Chis,

I have been playing around with my clocks now, not a resounding success at present but this is where I am with the speedo.

Reed switch sensor to ground triggers the speedo, the only thing is that you cannot believe its working !

I stuck a magnet in my lathe and span at 1500 rpm, this is not fast enough to see the needle move but it does slowly clock up miles.

Looking at the pictures in this post then thats probally correct, @ 120mph the prop will be going @ 6000 rpm (give or take a bit), above they have 5 magnets to one turn of the prop so effectively 30,000 pulses required to indicate 120mph... phew.

So although it may not look like it works on the bench it may be okay.

I,m off to buy some magnets now, looks like boxes of 100 so let me know if you want any.

NB/ my pickup at present is from a cheapo pushbike speedo on (the whole package only cost £8 at halfords), I guess I will be needing a salvaged item froma bike as I doubt if the reed I currently have will go that fast.

Regards Mark

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.