Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My steering
Alan B

posted on 30/7/07 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
My steering

Thought I'd share my steering idea...

Basically I wanted a custom rack, but was not prepared to pay the high costs so I thought I'd start with a low cost rack and make cheap mods...that's the theory at least.

Instead of lengthening the rack directly, I'm using the rack to drive a lower shaft in parallel..

Hopefully the pics should tell the story..

Steering concept
Steering concept

steering 01
steering 01

[img][/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bpgoa

posted on 30/7/07 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
why not just lengthen the rack directly?

Don't you need to get a dog leg in the column?

On and On the River flows... We the Undertow

Alan B

posted on 31/7/07 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
Good questions, thanks....

I thought of extending it directly, but that would have needed two extension shafts (Ok, easy) but also two extension pieces for the rack housing which would have be pretty accurate both dimensionally and concentrically for it to be smooth acting...and then find a good way of joining and sealing it and still be rigid......It would almost be easier to replace the housing.

Doing it this way I also get the steering column higher up, away from my feet on the pedals.

No dog leg needed...it's central seating for the driver ala Mac F1...

[Edited on 31/7/07 by Alan B]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bpgoa

posted on 31/7/07 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
why bother extending the outers.. just run it through an outboard bush...

and the dog leg question was in case you crashed,,, you don't want the steering wheel becoming too good a friend!!!

bpgoa

posted on 31/7/07 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
food for thought...

drop your rack below the top chassis rail, add extensions, then run them though bushes (reamed - easy) mounted in the pillow blocks..

that way you get the dog leg (so that the column folds if you crash) you drop the weight lower in the car.. remove excess engineering you can get your rack parallel to the bottom wishbone..

however ... I'm not an engineer... just a keen beginer...

[Edited on 31/7/07 by bpgoa]

Alan B

posted on 31/7/07 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
Good points again....I probably should have posted the idea before starting it...LOL

Re dog leg...Ok I get what you mean...I was thinking of a wire mesh type of collapsible column.....

Again, your feedback is appreciated...

bpgoa

posted on 31/7/07 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
it's a lot easier to pick something apart than to come up with an idea in the first place... you should see some of the bits I've thrown away

BenB

posted on 31/7/07 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
When the steering column runs directly between your legs it's even more important to have a dog leg in case of impact.....
Otherwise

Worst case- Ayrton Senna #2
Best case- Singing like Jimmy Sommerville

BenB

posted on 31/7/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
But then I'd be exceedingly wary of doing anything too DIY with regards to steering.....

After all, a wheel falls off, you can probably struggle to a stop.... the engine fails, you've still got steering and brakes, one side of the braking circuit fails you've got the other side of the handbrake (or engine braking)....

the steering fails... say hello to Mr Armco and his good friend Mr Local Casualty Department....

hughpinder

posted on 31/7/07 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Steering idea

Isn't it a SVA requirement to have a 15 to 30 degree angle in the column, so it doesn't transmit the energy from a crash straight down the column?
Alan B

posted on 31/7/07 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again for all the input.

A couple of points.

1) The car will not be subject to the SVA, however, I totally agree that a dog leg created by having 2 UJs in the column path will be a lot safer in the event of a head on impact, therefore I will do that.

2) I fully agree with the potentially unsafe possiblities of DIY engineering and would discourage anyone unsure of their capabilities and knowledge NOT to undertake such things.

However, I am a qualified mechanical design engineer of many (too many..) years experience and have worked on many safety critical systems and components.

I also agree that steering is VERY important from a safety viewpoint, however I'd say that there are many other aspects of car building that are very close behind.

Again thanks, it's all constructive.

novacaine

posted on 31/7/07 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
Isn't it a SVA requirement to have a 15 to 30 degree angle in the column, so it doesn't transmit the energy from a crash straight down the column?

No SVA In sunny Florida but i would guess that there is an equivalent with different regulations.....

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

posted on 31/7/07 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alan

I realise your car is not subject to SVA but there is a alternative way to the mandatory dog leg, that being, a telescopic section.

As I understand the SVA regs the wire type upper section is to lessen injury should the driver be thrown forward towards the dash.
This is as well as a collapsible telescopic section OR dog leg of 11deg or more in the lower shaft.

As I have 9.5deg offset in my own build in the lower shaft I have made my version using two tubes that have slots milled in them,
and a boss inside with a protruding stud to act as a clamp. (see pic)

It may be easier to do a similar thing in your case, rather than a dog leg.

Just a thought.

Paul G Rescued attachment tele-stearing-shaft.jpg
Rescued attachment tele-stearing-shaft.jpg

Alan B

posted on 31/7/07 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ah good idea Paul.....so you're saying if you have a telescoping section and a mesh type collapsing section you should be OK without a dog leg or angle change?

Also, how much travel of telescoping do you have?...it looks like about 3" or so....is it nipped up pretty tight, or not?

Cheers,

Alan

[Edited on 31/7/07 by Alan B]

posted on 31/7/07 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alan

I'm sure they give a figure of 127mm ( 5" ) but as it is fitted I have 10"

I'll also post the page from the SVA manual. Sorry it may be a tad big.

Hth
Paul G Rescued attachment tele-stearing-shaft-dims.jpg
Rescued attachment tele-stearing-shaft-dims.jpg

posted on 31/7/07 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
From the manual Rescued attachment s-shaft-001.jpg
Rescued attachment s-shaft-001.jpg

rpmagazine

posted on 31/7/07 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Go and have a look at a late model small car and see if you can use the whole column. In Australia we have the Daewoo Matiz. It has a nice, light column with a collapsing section in it and also a double jointed link at the bottom from distant memory
tigris

posted on 2/8/07 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
rack type

stiletto rack?
Alan B

posted on 2/8/07 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tigris
stiletto rack?

Nope, but similar I believe....

Alan

skydivepaul

posted on 2/8/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alan,

how you doing?
just a quick thought on the steering design.
the only problem i would see is that you are introducing other components into the steering function that are liable to wear out / fail over time.
if you lengthen the arms and connect them directly to the hubs then they are the only component doing the steering.

i can see as a design it would work but i like to keep things simple with less components to go out of alignment or wear out.
As someone else said tohugh it is easy to analize someone elses design than come up with one of your own.
just my thoughts.

Thanks for the hospitality on my visit to Florida, i will sure remember the sugar shack for a long time to come.
I have told the story of the nights events to my friends who found it very entertaining!

cheers

Paul

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

Alan B

posted on 3/8/07 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul,

Glad you had a good time and enjoyed the Shack..

First of all utimately I will make my own decision on the steering design, as we all would. However, it's not say that everyones opinion is not valued...trust me it really is and I'm quite torn on this one.

Bpgoa said....

"drop your rack below the top chassis rail, add extensions, then run them though bushes (reamed - easy) mounted in the pillow blocks.. "

Which I think is a simple and obvious answer.

However, my point against this is the fact that the original rack bar is tapped 3/8-24 at the end and would easily extend with studs and extension pieces, however they would be relatively long (about 7.5" each) compared the rack bar length of about 9" and without very long outboard bearings (which aren't possible without losing travel) I'm concerned about the buckling stabilty of the whole assembly....kind of scared of it buckling at the knees so to speak.
At least with my version I have a full length solid bar that is attached by two robust arms to the existing rack ends.

Paul, about your point re: wear and tear, the only extra wearing parts are the two outboard bearing blocks which would be used on the simpler version anyway.

Saying all that, the simpler version is course...well simpler...and a little lighter not using the side arms.

So quite honestly, you all have made me re-think my solution...I know I don't have to convince anyone but myself...I'm totally convinced that it's safe and reliable......but is it the best solution....??

Who knows...we'll have to wait and see..

Again thanks all......

Hey Paul maybe I should post some Sugar Shack pics for everyones amusement?

designer

posted on 3/8/07 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Colin Chapman used remote steering on The 4WD lotus 64 which might be a better option/layout.

Will have to try and find photos.

skydivepaul

posted on 3/8/07 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
"Hey Paul maybe I should post some Sugar Shack pics for everyones amusement? "

yes please do Alan, it will bring back some good memories.
It seems like an age ago since i was in Florida.......................it was only two weeks ago

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

NS Dev

posted on 5/8/07 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alan,

mmmmm, tricky one!

I personally would not be keen on doing it with the parallel bar. The bending loads on the two legs that connect the rack to the slide bar will be pretty unpleasant, and the loads they impart on the rack ends will also be quite nasty.

What lengths of steering arm do you need? I assume its not possible to just use very long steering arms!?

If it does need extending (which it obviously does for you to be going to this trouble! ) then I would say that screwed in rack extensions would be fine, made from the same diameter bar as the rack itself and staked or high strength loctited into place

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.