Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Too complicated?
aeroluke

posted on 19/9/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Too complicated?

Does this (draft) chassis look too complicated to build as far as some of the angles between tubes goes?
Bottom:
Bottom rails
Bottom rails

Top:

Side: left
left

Trimetric: trimetric
trimetric

Intending to add a tube or so to the bottom of the cockpit and fiddle with the triangulation around the suspension.

blakep82

posted on 19/9/08 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
looks good to me.
i gather its a rear engined chain diff set up? though there seems to be a bar between the driver and passenger? not sure i like where that is

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

JoelP

posted on 19/9/08 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
looks good to me.
i gather its a rear engined chain diff set up? though there seems to be a bar between the driver and passenger? not sure i like where that is

think thats just the view point, as its not in others.

Only bit i dont like is the side viewed triangle that goes by your shoulder. Its a very large angle, and having that triangle so nearly flattened gives forces more leverage over it. If you could make it head a little towards equilateral by moving any points, i think it would stiffen it nicely.

mark chandler

posted on 19/9/08 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Tight angles are not an issue as the bead of weld along the side is much longer, you can usually roll the weld pool in from each side quite a way, gravity helps.

Looks fine to me

indykid

posted on 20/9/08 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
the rear bulkhead's an awkward shape. seems to have a kink in it and some dead space at the bottom. is that for the tanks to go in from underneath?

i'd certainly have a go at building it anyway. the tight joins would be achieveable with a mig and slim shroud or just add some gussets.
tom

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.