Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: advice/suggestions please
dinosaurjuice

posted on 10/10/08 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
advice/suggestions please

Hi everyone,

im toying with the idea of scratch building a midi. will probably be based around 1.4 fiesta.
any advice on design/construction would be appreciated.
im a competent mig welder and generally good at making stuff, however ive never done fibreglass work.
im torn between following the concept of the Mev Rocket i assembled or a more enclosed design.

thanks in advance

Will

nitram38

posted on 10/10/08 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
First, you shouldn't under estimate the amount of time a project like this takes (check out my F1-2 in my archive).
Also make sure you have enough space. I built my car in a single garage but it was difficult.
It is a good idea to do lots of research on mold making and fibreglassing as this was the most time consuming stage of my build.
You could always save yourself the problem and buy my 1.4 ltr Rover powered rear engined F1-2!

It even comes with the molds
CLICK HERE

Description
Description

[Edited on 10/10/2008 by nitram38]

Fred W B

posted on 10/10/08 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
HI Will

Welcome to the site

see HERE for some thoughts on starting out.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

kb58

posted on 10/10/08 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
To get an idea what it's like to build a midi based on FWD drivetrains, check out the book *cough* in my sig *cough*. I'm currently designing a new one, one that will take zero composite work on the builders part, not not spend $$$$ on a shell.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dinosaurjuice

posted on 11/10/08 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the response guys,

theres no time constraint for the project, it will take as long as it takes!

im wondering if i can get away without (or minimal) fibreglass work. it does sound like the most teadious job! avoiding this does favour the 'exposed' style though.

that book looks like a good investment, one for the christmas list.

looking around, suspension tends to be unequal length double wishbone all round, is this the best compromise? in terms of looks/ease of manufacture/function? no point re-inventing the wheel.

thanks again, will.

Theshed

posted on 11/10/08 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cheating

If you are starting from scratch why not cheat and look around for a set of grp panels that you like and use that to constrain the rest of your design? If you keep your eyes open second hand prosports bodywork is cheapish if you fancy a roof or various sports 2000 bodies come and go.

Do not do what I did which is start chopping metal before the design was at least half thought out.

For suspension first choose your wheels and uprights then take it from there.

Have fun

JC

posted on 11/10/08 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, welcome to the site!! If you want some ideas, I'm building a Fiesta based car with minimal bodywork. If you check my Blog, it'll give you some idea, not only of what is involved, but how long it can take!!!!

Then, if you have any questions, ask!! The folks here will always have an opinion, sometimes an answer

Best of luck, JC

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tadltd

posted on 11/10/08 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Surely there's some 'trading' activity going on here!

How come I get lambasted and haven't traded anything??!!

BUY AN LMP IF YOU WANT A GOOD QUALITY MIDI!

There, I said it! Might as well get hounded for something I HAVE done.

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

Ninehigh

posted on 12/10/08 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
Can I add to this with another question? I'm planning on the same thing in essence, can I fix the gearbox and shafts to the back wheels in the same way they are done at the front? If I need to mess about with another box etc I think I'll try something else (although I'm beginning to doubt that'll be the hardest bit)

kb58

posted on 12/10/08 at 05:40 AM Reply With Quote
If I understand the question correctly - yes.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

designer

posted on 12/10/08 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Again, YES.

The only real problem which can arise is the gearchange linkage. The rest is simple.

JC

posted on 12/10/08 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
"The only real problem which can arise is the gearchange linkage. The rest is simple"

If only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ninehigh

posted on 12/10/08 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert but isn't the linkage basically a rod that transfers gearlever movement to gearchange movement? Surely that's going to be the least of my problems!

designer

posted on 12/10/08 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
With the engine in the back of the car the gear change will, probably, enter fron the rear.
nitram38

posted on 12/10/08 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
The F1-2 has the engine in the rear and the gearlever was easy. Your main work is in making sure that your suspension will work and making your bodywork.....

Ninehigh

posted on 12/10/08 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Lol the biggest problem I have at the moment is getting a welding course under my belt!

dinosaurjuice

posted on 14/10/08 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the input guys, im beginning to get a clear idea of whats what.

nitram38: definately right about suspension, i dont want a VERY fast car but if it doesnt hold the road and steer well....its no use!

does anyone have any drawings/designs/cad of suspension setups which work well for midi's they want to share? it would be much appreciated.

im swaying towards the minimalistic route atm.

has anyone fabricated there own front uprights? conventional car ones seem over kill for such a light car.

sorry its more questions than answers from me at the moment! hopefully one day it will be other way around!

Alan B

posted on 14/10/08 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
A few ideas about a few things here....

Linky

nitram38

posted on 14/10/08 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
There are so many factors involving suspension design that it is best to read a suitable book or copy someone elses.
Have a look in my archive for photos of my "homemade" uprights. These again are different depending on your suspension/rack position etc.

Nice webpages Alan!

[Edited on 14/10/2008 by nitram38]

dinosaurjuice

posted on 14/10/08 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
A few ideas about a few things here....

Linky

ahhhhhh.....thats how i SHOULD have done the gear linkage on my rocket!

thats a very nice build Alan, well done!

Alan B

posted on 16/10/08 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. Compliments always welcome and sometimes essential when motivation is low...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.