Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Velocity or Viento???
boris123

posted on 11/5/09 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Velocity or Viento???

I am in the process of making my final selection as to which kit to build and thought I would come to this site for some impartial advice……
I am a UK expat living in the US so my ability to visit trade shows or events is limited to say the least. At present I am really struggling too decide between a Velocity and Viento.
Although my wasteline has certainly expanded since my arrival in the land of the Burger I would say that I am as yet not entirely supersized, but at 6 feet and carrying a few extra pounds I do like the sound of a larger car, especially as it’s main use will be as a road legal run around with perhaps the odd track day and hillclimb.
I am not obsessed by having anything more than 4 Cylinders but if the larger frame can handle it without being overpowered and especially if I will get performance over and above the smaller unit in the smaller car while maintaining the handling I certainly am not opposed to it.
Unlike most in my adopted homeland I do want a car that can travel fast in more than just a straight line (or worse still only ever has to turn left). So if I need to loose a few pounds to get the true Seven feel I will do so but if the Viento really does deliver it all but will allow me to add a few Cylinders and still eat then I would certainly like to hear about it…..

Danozeman

posted on 11/5/09 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Id go for a Viento as you can stick what ever engine u want in it within reason and have some room inside to move.

Have you looked at the other models available from other places? Eg MNR.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

eznfrank

posted on 11/5/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Where in the US are you? Just to throw another into the mix skydivepaul on here is based in Florida and sells the Indy out there, that might work out better financially?

His website is here

tomgregory2000

posted on 11/5/09 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
VIENTO
Im a little bias though but i have a 4 pot in mine and the space you get in the engine bay is fantastic, room to get to everything.
I would drop a v8 in it though living over that side of the water.
The extra space inside is fantastic as well because it feels like you are sitting inside the car rather than on top

Tommy

jollygreengiant

posted on 11/5/09 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Until I had my Viento on the road this year, the only time I had driven a seven type car was whilst doing an MOT on one (dax V8) about 3 years before taking the plunge.
I opted for the Luego Viento when I took the plunge. My main reason for using the Luego model was they were local to me AND they did the Viento (largest in class). The last part was important to me as when I did the MOT on the Dax I got onto the car rather than in it. (I am 6 foot 4 and approximately a tad somewhere over 19stone).
The kit I bought was the budget blaster and the build was relatively simple . The engine I have used in it is the 2.0pinto injection with all the running gear straight out of the Ford Granada donor vehicle.

There is enough room infront of the engine to get a motor bike engine in to drive the front wheels. The performance with my meagre power plant is more than enough at the moment for me and could quite easily loose me my licence through speeding points accumulation. If you do a search on this site you will see that the Viento chassis (albeit with some strengthening mods) is big enough to fit the Dodge Viper power unit (search mark wirring or BJ298[I think]. Luego themselves are at the moment developing an LS2 powered vehicle.

I hope that you find this useful.

Cheers
JGG (Clive)

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

simonk

posted on 11/5/09 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
VIENTO

I've driven a Caterham and my Viento and I feel like I'm in the Viento, not falling out of the sides of it like the Caterham - that's not to knock the Velocity (or Caterham - fantastic car) but I'm all up for the bigger chassis and the V8.....

Simon

mgmiller

posted on 11/5/09 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 6'2" and have tried both and I would go for a Viento just for the extra room for you and the engine.

I think the Indy might be verging on too small for you.

The guys at Luego are very helpful also.

Cheers

Mark

[Edited on 11/5/09 by mgmiller]

wilkingj

posted on 12/5/09 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
VIENTO...

But then I am biased.

I'm 5ft 10" and 20 Stone (280Lb), and believe me the extra room is well worth the extra money.
OK, with the seat right back I cant reach the pedals. but the extra width is well worth it.
It means you can get wider seats in which means more choice and comfort.

It will take up to a V10 (probably would want some chassis mods - see http://www.v10viento.co.uk ), or a 6 cylinder BMW with ease.
Think of a M series Beamer lump in there, or a Nissan Skyline, or a Toyota Supra
That would make an Awesome car.

OK in the land of the V8's a plenty, you are spoiled for choice. Also think of a LV400 Chassis, which is a beefed up Viento for the LS2 engines, ie can take the torque and power, even if you dont fit the actual engine.

There is a HUGE space under that bonnet, and will make putting a smaller engine in very easy.
I have a Rover V8 (Buick 215) in mine, and its plenty fast enough, and I get 25mpg on a run up the motorway at 70mph (cruising at 70). Less MPG if you use a lot of right foot
Its 190Bhp and does 0-60 in 5 sec flat, and 135Mph tops (on the track of course).
So any 200Bhp engine will make it fly. More and you may actually take off!

If like me, you have a larger frame, you will appreciate the larger size of the Viento.

As an aside, I found that I can get in and out of a MK Indy better than the velocity. But then thats just me.
Nothing wrong with the Velocity if you want the smaller car.
If going MK, consider the new chassis with the inboard suspension version, as it handles better than the older Indy. (Nothing wrong with either, just the later chassis is better)

If its not a case of the money, then go for the Viento, its worth having the extra room.
Have a look in my archive as there are lots of pics that might be helpful when you build it.

Viento on the Left, Velocity on the right

Viento Versus Velocity (Size)
Viento Versus Velocity (Size)

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skibikejohn

posted on 12/5/09 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Velocity or Viento???

Before you get too far along, check with Luego to see if they will ship to North America. I am in Canada and purchased a Velocity kit before the last change of ownership. The New owner told me he would not ship parts to North America due to liability concerns.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.