Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Viento Wheels ...
Scotty

posted on 27/3/06 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Viento Wheels ...

hi all
now about to order wheels (at long last) but am a bit confused about widths, especially the rear.
i am right in thinking the TYRE widths are 235 for the rear and therefore the HUB WIDTH will be 7½" - 8" (the rear mudguards are 300 mm wide so will take wider tyres)
will ring grant later but as he was at the show over the weekend, i dont expect to speak to him today
cheers in advance

ps the hub face is 160 from side of body, if the offset give the tyre 140mm that gives 20mm distance from the tyre to the side of the car. more importantly if the distance from the hub face to the side of the tyre is 95 (as per luego) that give a distance of 45mm from the edge of the tyres to the edge of the mudguards - too much ?

[Edited on 27/3/06 by Scotty]

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

wilkingj

posted on 27/3/06 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
On my Veinto I did this:

Front
17" ET38 7" RIM width with 205/40/17 tyre This is Standard Sierra size offset ET38.
This is Fine for the front. I would NOT go any wider.
The above is Luego's recomendation, and I agree with them.

On the rear, I have
17" ET22 8" RIM Width. with 235/40/17 Tyre.
The above Combination will need a 15-20mm spacer for the outer edge of the wheel / tyre to align with the outer edge of the wing / mudguard. Team Dynamics state that 22mm is the minimum offset they do. Probably an off set of about ET5 would have been better.
You can just see the gap on the rear wheel / mudguard. This is without the 15mm hubcentric spacer on.
I also had to fit longer studs back and front to get enough thread into the wheel nut to be safe. Dont use ordinary spacers on the rear, hubcentric (spigoted) types will give less vibration / wheel wobble, and are worth the extra especially if you have a couple hundred horsepower to lay down on the road!

In Hindsight, I should have gone to a 9" rim which should be fine with a 235 tyre. however, You would need to recaluclate the ET Offset to ensure you dont clout the Shock absorber Spring. This needs to be calculated exactly, as you are getting close on both sides of the wheel (Inner Spring + outer mudguard edge)

9" would look so much better from behind.

Take your time if you move away from luego's recomendations, as its a lot of money of you get it disasterously wrong.

I have Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's and TD will machine up any combination of rim's and ET's etc within certain limits.

Their price is very very good. I looked long and hard bedore deciding. Its a major purchase for the car, so get it right 1st time.
Most other wheel's came out at £1k or more. TD's wer excellently priced, and I sourced mine through Half - Fords.

Build State Oct12
Build State Oct12

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Scotty

posted on 27/3/06 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
hi wilkingj
i did a search earlier and took note of your earlier comments - looking good by the way - in fact too good - might well be copying your wheels !
i assume my measurements tie up with yours ?
for a laff might pop out to local halfrauds
will let you know
cheers

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

wilkingj

posted on 27/3/06 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I must admit I got very confused over the wheel sizes.

I still dont really know if the 205 and the 235 shown in the Luego doc refers to Tyre size, or to Rim size.

My fronts are 7" and the rears 8".

The halfords part number was 983221 for BOTH sets of wheels, its
"Unclassified (Parts Only) - Wheels"

£129.25 and £164.50 total £587.50 Including Kumho Tyres.

The Dilemma is that if the tyre is 205mm the rim could be either 7 or 8 inch.
and for 235mm tyre the rim 8 or 9 inch.
I still made it 22mm offset for the rears.

Luego's figures make it Et38 on the front and ET22 on the back, assuming they are 8" fronts and 9" rears.
I did it with 7 and 8" with ET38 and 22 for front and rears respectively. However, I need 15mm spacers on the rear to make it look better. My wheels without the spacers, clear the suspension by about 10-15 mm. But look better with the Spacers on.

With hindsight, I would still keep the fronts as 7" with 205 tyres.

and make the rears 9" with 235 or 245 tyres.

If you want rims only then go direct to Rimstock on 0121 525 2525
They quoted me 9x17 for £100 +Vat and 7x17 for £80 +Vat per rim, ex works.
ie postage, tyres, + valves are extra.

they can do:
7, 7.5, 8, 9 inch with Offsets 23-40 in 17 inch Pro Race 1.2's

Also think of the tyres, some sizes get very expensive. So check that out before getting the rims. I think that was why I went 8" and not 9"
My local tyre place (used to be owned by a mate) are very helpful with info on which tyres are a common size and thus cheaper

Hope this is helpful.

Best Regards
Geoff

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Scotty

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
as per luego

per luego
per luego

suggestion using 245 with zero offset ???

new idea
new idea

wilkingj

posted on 28/3/06 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Scotty.. I agree with your figures. However, Take a measurement to the coil spring, at the rim position (not the tyre) as it sticks out into the wheel area. The 20mm gap is OK, but I would prefer more. You could fit 15 or 20mm hubcentric spacers, that would increase your 20mm to 35 or 40mm, and reduce the 45mm to 30 or 25mm on the outside.
(longer studs required as well).
I got 15mm ones as the price was too good to miss.

TD dont do Zero offset, that I know of. However, I would give them a ring and ask, they are very helpful.

Best Regards
Geoff

Scotty

posted on 28/3/06 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
ok
seem to remember that the suspension is clear at rim height but angles in to approx 30mm at rear of disk carrier
i'm sure image wheels (choke!) could do a set but they arnt cheap - mmmmm - need to think!
what about the other viento builder on the forum - what have they done ? might look them up and u2u them.
need to recheck wheel arches - it looks like they tail in (narrow) as they get lower...

Snuggs

posted on 29/3/06 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Just measured and the gap between the tyre and the outer edge of the wheel arch is 50mm.

I have 235/40 x 17 on 8" rims with 22mm offset.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

Scotty

posted on 1/4/06 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
hi all
thanks for your help
i think i will go with the luego recommended sizes and fit appropriate spacers
although i trust my measurements, i dont want to buy £2,000 (ish) image wheels to find out i missed something bleeding obvious !!!

wilkingj

posted on 1/4/06 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
I would make sure you use hubcentric spacers, to help reduce the wheel wobble / Vibration.
Shop around, some wheels and tyres will cost you £1500++ and some much less.

Give Rimstock a call, they were very helpful, and good prices as well. Even for 17" rims made to measure.

Best Regards
Geoff

Scotty

posted on 1/4/06 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
I would make sure you use hubcentric spacers

ooops did mean that - honest !

Scotty

posted on 1/4/06 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
rimstock web page down at mo .........

Tricky Dave

posted on 5/4/06 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Further to your U2U Scotty, after shopping around I found the best price for Team Dynamics 1.2s (Front 17 x 7 ET38, rear 17 x 9 et22) with Toyo T1Rs all round (F 205 50, R 235 45) was Rochford Tyres at £775 all in. Halfords wanted £1142 as it was a non standard combination. Demon Tweeks were £1007, and you can get the Compomotive CXRs (see Paul(Notts)) for £1190 ish. Will let you know how I get on when they arrive!

Cheers,

Dave

Scotty

posted on 6/4/06 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
hi
local company finally got back with a quote for luego recommended sizes for team dynamics pro 1.2's (they buy from me, so i ought to buy from them) with a price of £752 incl tyres, valves, wheel nuts + locking's etc etc so not toooo bad.
i did pop into halfords last night and saw the team dynamics drifz hubs - they look nice in the flesh !. be interesting to see what price halfords come back with......

Halfords price for pro race set is £953.20 !!!!
Drifz not available on required size - ah well
all ordered now, another bit sorted!

[Edited on 6/4/06 by Scotty]

Scotty

posted on 20/5/06 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Finally got my wheels - who else thinks it looks like a model t ford at mo ???

wheel number 1
wheel number 1

darrens

posted on 20/5/06 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Looks well, looking forward to picking mine up next week now.

I got the same wheels as thee, 8" on the back (235's) with a 20mm ofsett, plus a 20mm spacer. Although got silver rather than black, virtually same price aswell.

Regards

[Edited on 20/5/06 by darrens]

[Edited on 20/5/06 by darrens]

Scotty

posted on 20/5/06 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
hi darrens
not ordered spacers (yes geoff - hubcentrics ) yet, although 20mm seems to be right, will offer up arches before deciding - just in case!
time to get a spurt on - in the nicest possible way !

simonk

posted on 23/5/06 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
I went for the Luego size and offset recommendations and bought Superlite Ultralite split rims in 7" and 8.5" x 17. They're a little cheaper than Image and other splits as they use a cast 'minilite' style centre (black powder coat on mine)that keeps the overall cost down. I'm very pleased with the wheels and the fit. They seem to fill the arches OK at the moment, and should even more when the engine and 'box have compressed the suspension a bit further.

Cheers
Simon

Scotty

posted on 23/5/06 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
look forward to see some pic !
post em up

simonk

posted on 23/5/06 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
I posted a pic on the 'who's got what and at what stage' thread, but did something wrong. The pic is there, but will use up your screen, the screen next door, and the screen next to that ! Any tips on properly uploading a picture or two gratefully received
Scotty

posted on 23/5/06 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
done a quick search, cant find it -got customers in shop at mo, will look later

simonk

posted on 23/5/06 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Try here -
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=44394&page=4

Simon

Scotty

posted on 23/5/06 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
hows this

for simonk
for simonk

Scotty

posted on 23/5/06 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
there are lots of programs which can resize pictures, others will tell you their favourites.
You can use "paint" which comes with windows BUT use bitmaps if resizing, if you resize jpegs, you can end up with a poor picture quality.
convert (save as) to jpeg when ready to upload to forum
HTH
scott
ps your modified piccy is in my archive (called 3Viento.jpg)

chockymonster

posted on 23/5/06 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
If you're using windows XP then the free image resizer tool is brilliant (google for Microsoft power toy image sizer)

Right click the image, choose medium or small and job done!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.