Board logo

Anyone looking skywards today?
907 - 28/6/15 at 11:43 AM

The Vulcan is doing a bit of a circuit.

I've studied the maps. Picked my spot.

What's the betting it will be just over the other side of a hill.

Paul G

[Edited on 28/6/15 by 907]

scootz - 28/6/15 at 11:48 AM

Saw it yesterday... heard it first mind!

jeffw - 28/6/15 at 12:20 PM

Jet Noise, the sound of freedom

As they say....

scootz - 28/6/15 at 12:33 PM

Saw it a few years ago too when the local airshow was on (just a couple of miles from us).

I was working outside and could hear various aircraft making noises in the distance. I'd look upwards if there was anything making an 'interesting' sound to see if it was in view.

I heard an odd rumble, so looked up to see this triangular THING flying straight towards me. It then started climbing almost vertically above me and I was staring into its afterburners. And that's when the noise changed! Bloody hell... it was apocalyptic! The ground was shaking (and so was I).

rusty nuts - 28/6/15 at 12:42 PM

I can hear aero engines as I type but all I ca see at the moment are clouds . As the crow flies I'm about 3 miles from Duxford . I'm sure if it puts in an appearance I will hear it at least . I was at a parachute club in Shropshire maybe 25 years ago , we had to suspend jumping as the Vulcan was flying directly overhead on its last flight on its way to wherever it was rebuilt . It was like something from a science fiction film , very impressive

gremlin1234 - 28/6/15 at 12:48 PM

from bbc website:
◾On Sunday from 13:00 BST it will fly from Doncaster Airport to Bruntingthorpe, Coventry, Wellesbourne, RAF Museum Hendon, Duxford, Southend Airport, Norwich Airport, RAF Marham, RAF Waddington and Cleethorpes.

rusty nuts - 28/6/15 at 01:11 PM

It's there at the moment , just seen it from my back garden

907 - 28/6/15 at 01:57 PM

It was a little further away than I'd planned.

I blame the pilot.

Best I could do.

Description
Description

theconrodkid - 28/6/15 at 01:58 PM

saw her last week at Weston,cant see how such a big bird could pull those manouvers .

tims31 - 28/6/15 at 02:15 PM

Has literally just flown over my house in Spalding, must be on its way from Marham up to Waddington.

Sorry Scootz but the Vulcan never had afterburners or reheat, the only aircraft with Olympus engines that had reheat was Concord.

[Edited on 28/6/15 by tims31]

karlak - 28/6/15 at 02:47 PM

I was absolutely honoured to have it put on a display at the airfield literally yards from the bottom of my Garden. It was for a pre-season check and did the full display. Absolutely amazing experience. Unfortunately, only had the "pocket camera", but got some OK shots. Car alarms were going off on the fast low pass

I always refer to it as my personal display, flying right over our house and garden

and my favourite shot

Volvorsport - 28/6/15 at 04:11 PM

Flight path is over cherry into Waddington. Major noise.

When we lived in bbh right next to waddo airfield everybody complained about the noise , especially on test day 😁

AntonUK - 28/6/15 at 05:38 PM

I saw her at Cosford Air Show a few weeks back, and couldnt pass on another opportunity to see her fly again. My Favorite shot from yesterday..

Badger_McLetcher - 30/6/15 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
saw her last week at Weston,cant see how such a big bird could pull those manouvers .

Strangely enough I was at the same place - found the sand coming off the beach to be a bit of a pain! Worth it though, shame it's her last year. The noise is epic.

Andy D - 1/7/15 at 03:34 PM

That's superb!

slingshot2000 - 1/7/15 at 04:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
That's superb!

+1^^^^

That needs to be enlarged and hung in a frame, somewhere prominent !

scootz - 1/7/15 at 06:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tims31
Has literally just flown over my house in Spalding, must be on its way from Marham up to Waddington.

Sorry Scootz but the Vulcan never had afterburners or reheat, the only aircraft with Olympus engines that had reheat was Concord.

LOL... my aircraft knowledge appears even more limited than my car knowledge.

Whatever they're called, I was looking right up it's tailpipes!

rusty nuts - 1/7/15 at 08:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz

Whatever they're called, I was looking right up it's tailpipes!

Pervert!

scootz - 1/7/15 at 08:26 PM