Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheel Nuts
ShaunB

posted on 26/1/11 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Wheel Nuts

Must wheel nuts be of the open type (stud visible thorugh the centre of the nut) to pass scrutineering? I ask because I've just weighed my Revolution 4 spokes and found them to be 0.5 kilo lighter than the Ford RS type but the only wheel nuts I have for the Revo's are the closed dome type.

Cheers,
Shaun.

matt_gsxr

posted on 27/1/11 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
Shaun,

I don't know about the rules, but what about getting a set of these nuts instead (the ones on the far left)?
Loads of people run 4-spoke revs (the worlds greatest wheels IMO) with so there must be a simple solution.

http://www.mistertee.co.uk/6.html

Canada EH!

posted on 27/1/11 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
Passed Scrutineering here in Canada on my Datsun with Revolution wheels. Do remember to re-torque the wheels after a couple of quick laps, mine always came loose when they got hot, once re-torqued they were good for the weekend.
steveiow

posted on 27/1/11 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
My locost has passed srutineering with both open and closed wheel nuts. Its not a problem as far as i know.

Just check that your race regs dont ban magnesium as a material on the car if you are getting lightweight magnesium nuts as the locosts certainly arent allowed to run any magnesium, carbon fibre or titanium.

2012 Locost Race Car #12 - for everything Locost Racing: www.SEWC.co.uk

procomp

posted on 27/1/11 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

It's not a scrutineering fail. However they will periodically keep asking you to remove one or two nuts so they can check that there is sufficient thread engagement.
It P'd me off in the end on the college car so i swapped to open nuts.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ShaunB

posted on 28/1/11 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies folks, I didn't realise that open nuts were available and having to whip a couple of wheel nuts off at scrutineering would quickly P me off too, so I'll investigate that!

Steve - yes I saw both types on Locost's this year, but wondered if someone had been let off for the day.

Time to dig out the blue book and check minimum thread engagement...

Cheers.
Shaun (Locost #32)

procomp

posted on 28/1/11 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Not sure if it's Blue book, But 1.5 x thread Dia is the norm. Ie 18mm

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
modee

posted on 28/1/11 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Matt.
You must be upsetting the scruts somehow. We have run closed wheel nuts in locost since 2002 without any questions from them.
Maurice.

matt_gsxr

posted on 28/1/11 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by modee
You must be upsetting the scruts somehow.

how surprising

procomp

posted on 29/1/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Not really they check quite a few. I think it was however the thought of the college car having students involved that may have worried them a little. Me i am known for helping the Srcutes Making jigs for checking consultation re the regs and tolerances.
Except for the occasional MSA scrutineer who doesnt know what he's doing then as per Brands there is trouble. Lol

Cheers Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.