Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: roll cage hoop - stupid mistake but is it ok??
pumpers

posted on 1/10/03 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
roll cage hoop - stupid mistake but is it ok??

The car is getting there, hopefully to be finished in time for christmas. Left my mate whose helping me build it, alone with the car for a few days, returned and hey presto, he's fitted the roll cage. Great me thinks, until he tells me he's made a minor mistake. so the question is this.

The roll cage hoop situated behind the drivers head has been fitted the wrong way round to every picture i can find of a locost. i.e the diagonal bracing bar is at the bottom behind the drivers head and at the top of the hoop behind the passengers head, if you understand what im talking about ( it reads fine to me but i know what i mean!!!!!! or not as the case may be!! ) so, is this ok or do i have to grind it off and fix it the correct way?? pumpers

Surrey Dave

posted on 1/10/03 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Headrest

If you're not having high back seats ,you could make a small round pad ,and fix it as a head restraint, could look good...........

[Edited on 1/10/03 by Surrey Dave]

D Beddows

posted on 1/10/03 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
No, I'd definitely grind it off and start again I afraid - the one thing the scruitineers are very hot on is roll cage safety/construction (and pre race scruitineering is all about the safety of the car to race rather than wether it complies to the formula regulations, not something you realise the first time you turn up to compete) and with the way round you have it, if you were to roll the car for example, the impact energy would be tranfered away from the non existant passenger rather than you. Sorry!
pumpers

posted on 2/10/03 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
tx, looks like im grinding this morning!!!
DickieB

posted on 3/10/03 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Nah, just weld in another cross member in the opposite direction so you have a cross formed - that is what my Safety Devices cage has - you may be able to see pictures at http://www.TeamDickie.co.uk

Dickie

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 3/10/03 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
ahhh mmmm Dickie is right......that would have been easier and I may have been thinking of another way you could build a roll cage.....sorry! Mind you I'd still rather have the complete tube protecting me rather than the passenger in the case of X type bracing.
pumpers

posted on 5/10/03 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
sorted it now only took about five hours!!! tx anyway pumpers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.