Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: inboard brakes?
dan__wright

posted on 24/4/08 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
inboard brakes?

has anone put inboard brakes on an IRS 7?

what are peoples thoughts on this? should be a good unsprung weight saving, see it on ultima's and the zcars monte carlo.

shouldn't be too hard if you are using bolt in shafts?

find suitable discs you can put between diff and shafts and bolt through, holders for calipers and your sorted?

quite tempted to so this once im on the road.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

PAUL FISHER

posted on 24/4/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Cooling may be a bit of a problem,they will be a bit out of the way of the airflow,either side of the diff,I think you would be hard pressed to notice a difference on the unsprung weight advantage on the rear of a Indy,it would be a lot of work for little reward in my view.
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/4/08 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
might be tempted to duct some cooling air to them

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 24/4/08 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Probably will Sh*g the CV's out too

designer

posted on 24/4/08 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Cooling would be no problem for road use.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MustangSix

posted on 24/4/08 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Jag XKE, XJ6/12, XJS all had inboard rear discs. Big issues were not performance, but in serviceablity and heat.

The Jag brakes, esp the parking brake, can be a real PITA to service. And the heat was not a braking performance issue. It was the fact that it caused increased temps on the carrier, cooking the seals and causing differential leaks.

Vented rotors and ducted air cures that issue.

MikeCapon

posted on 24/4/08 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
My tintop has inboard front brakes and in spite of its ferocious neck-snapping performance they are splendid

[img][/img]

www.shock-factory.co.uk

coozer

posted on 24/4/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen a Sierra back end with the disc's bolted between the drive shaft and output flange on the diff... should be easy to make a caliper bracket there.

Maybe someone with a spare bolt on diff can evolve a locost upgrade???

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

sebastiaan

posted on 24/4/08 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
HERE you go...
MikeCapon

posted on 24/4/08 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Very neat job. Bike calipers and discs. Plenty powerful and super light weight. Just the handbrake to worry about

www.shock-factory.co.uk

dhutch

posted on 24/4/08 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
2vc's have inboard breaks, when racing they tend to have large fins bolted to the calipers, and or ducted cooling or fans.
- It also gets interesting if the propshaft fails or comes undone! Seen that happen.

However it would indeed be possable and maybe as you say help reduce unspring mass.

Daniel

dan__wright

posted on 24/4/08 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
i was thinking along the lines of bike brakes

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/4/08 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan__wright
i was thinking along the lines of bike brakes

isn't that what is being used in Sebastiaan's link, only the center of the brake rotor is scratch made. Very impressive job.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

dan__wright

posted on 24/4/08 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
yep that is exactly what i had in mind!

it is very tidy and hope that if i do go ahead with it it comes out half as good

[Edited on 24/4/08 by dan__wright]

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

dan__wright

posted on 24/4/08 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
would a single disc on the prop side of the diff be a no no? obv less to have do build etc but should be putting a lot of stress on the diff / drive train i guess?

[Edited on 24/4/08 by dan__wright]

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

mark chandler

posted on 24/4/08 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Singke disc on the prop does not work as the lighter wheel starts to spin in the opposite direction. It also overloads the halfshafts and diffs.

Landrovers have handbrakes on the prop, drag it on before stopping all sorts of banging and broken half shafts.

Regards Mark

erwe

posted on 24/4/08 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
That was my old racer, sold it last year.
The braking was very good, I did use air duct in the passengers place for cooling.
The only problem I had was the mounting of the diff to the chassis, I made it far too light.
Because the acceleration and brake forces came together at the diff mountings I should have used much heavier material.
But that should not be a problem when you build it heavier, the whole car was a little too weak for normal street use.
You could add a Wilwood handbrake caliper for SVA.

Liam

posted on 24/4/08 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
That's beautiful work, erwe! But yeah perhaps the diff mounts look a little flimsy for taking braking loads too (although it looks like you picked up the front mounts of the diff too through those tunnel tubes - is that right? They're normally ignored). Did you actually get a failure?

When you say the whole car was a little too weak what do you mean? The chassis looks excellently designed and made from a stiffness point of view. Was it more issues with 'minimalist' bracketry? Anyway great work

Another reason a brake disc on the prop isn't a great idea is the prop is spinning, say, 3.5 times faster than the driveshafts - instant melted brakes!

Liam

02GF74

posted on 28/4/08 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam

Another reason a brake disc on the prop isn't a great idea is the prop is spinning, say, 3.5 times faster than the driveshafts - instant melted brakes!

LR have drum brakes on the rear and the drum on the prop/transmission is the handbrake. It is unlikley you would or indeed should slap on the hand brake whilst moving at any reasonable speed.

There is an aftermarket disc brake conversion for the handbrake - search X-Eng if you want to know more.

britishtrident

posted on 30/4/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Singke disc on the prop does not work as the lighter wheel starts to spin in the opposite direction. It also overloads the halfshafts and diffs.

Landrovers have handbrakes on the prop, drag it on before stopping all sorts of banging and broken half shafts.

Regards Mark

Too right transmission brakes are nasty.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 30/4/08 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
You could use the complete rear axle assembly from a Lotus Elite/Eclat/Excel. Inboard drum brakes at least on the two early models -- not sure about the Excel.

Inboard brakes work particularly well on a De Dion axle --- no torque reactions.

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 30/4/08 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MustangSix
Jag XKE, XJ6/12, XJS all had inboard rear discs. Big issues were not performance, but in serviceablity and heat.

The Jag brakes, esp the parking brake, can be a real PITA to service. And the heat was not a braking performance issue. It was the fact that it caused increased temps on the carrier, cooking the seals and causing differential leaks.

Vented rotors and ducted air cures that issue.

Oil leaking on the rear discs was a fact of life on Jags --- horrible brakes to work on no room and you had no vision of what you were working on. Dropping the complete axle subframe on a Jag wasn't an option unless your were forced into it. The Jag rear axle assembly was so heavy.

Rover used very similar inboard discs on the P6 but at least it was easy to lower the diff to change the pads.

[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.