Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pre IVA "Private land testing"
adampage

posted on 21/12/21 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Resurrecting old post - similar question

Hey all

I'm in Staffordshire and similar to the OP here, looking for somewhere to do a gentle shakedown of nearly finished car.
No racing or high speed, just first run around to bed in brakes and check geometry & 'feel'.

Unfortunately I live on a residential street and don't have an office/factory with car park to use.

Any ideas? There's a couple of old airfields nearby which aren't used for much, I could try them but no idea how to find the owner/operator.

If there's somewhere you wouldn't want to publicise for fear of crowds, please do drop me a u2u, some beer tokens available for kind helper!

Thanks
Ad

CosKev3

posted on 21/12/21 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adampage
Hey all

I'm in Staffordshire and similar to the OP here, looking for somewhere to do a gentle shakedown of nearly finished car.
No racing or high speed, just first run around to bed in brakes and check geometry & 'feel'.

Unfortunately I live on a residential street and don't have an office/factory with car park to use.

Any ideas? There's a couple of old airfields nearby which aren't used for much, I could try them but no idea how to find the owner/operator.

If there's somewhere you wouldn't want to publicise for fear of crowds, please do drop me a u2u, some beer tokens available for kind helper!

Thanks
Ad

Curborough isn't far from you,I would ask them what they've got coming up

loggyboy

posted on 22/12/21 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Id offer the same advice as before. Take long route to the test centre
Arguably any cost to try and shake down the car that are more than the £90 retest fee are effectively a waste.
You could also just do a cheap winter track day, take plenty of tools and if your semi confident in your build you will probably enjoy the track experience.

Mistral Motorsport

JimSpencer

posted on 22/12/21 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hey all

Thanks
Ad

Hi, Stafford driving centre (.co.uk) hires out the track for not much per hour

adampage

posted on 22/12/21 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all

Oh yeah - Curborough i'd forgotten about, i'll drop them a note.

I did remember the Stafford Driving Centre last night actually, they came back quickly & said £200/hr, which might be a bit much for what we need (and per the other reply about the cost being more than a £90 retest.....)

Thanks
Ad

BenB

posted on 22/12/21 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
I went into my SVA assuming it would fail and it would give me a list of things to sort and the drive there and back would help sort the brakes etc out. I wasn't disappointed- fails list went onto a second page!!!
JimSpencer

posted on 22/12/21 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Oh yeah - Curborough i'd forgotten about, i'll drop them a note.

I did remember the Stafford Driving Centre last night actually, they came back quickly & said £200/hr, which might be a bit much for what we need (and per the other reply about the cost being more than a £90 retest.....)

Thanks
Ad

By Eck that's gone up a chunk.. think it used to be £60.. the other circuit I've used is Three Sisters at Wigan, though it's a bit of a hike up the motorway, their 'early bird' - 1st thing in the morning is (IIRC) £100 an hour - exclusive use.

Re Curborough, might be worth joining the Shenstone car club, it's only about £30 and they have regular sessions for members, or go on 'uphillracers' and see if anybody has any days booked that you can join in?

I did run the car in my avatar round Stoke City FC car park once while shaking it down.. it's huge.. quickly had security over though, but after a few pics they were quite happy and left us to it

adampage

posted on 22/12/21 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Three Sisters

Now that would be a cool venue, but it's probably a bit of a trek for such a small trip really (and the risk of getting carried away and it stops being a shakedown, and increases the risk of blowing it up!)

Thanks
Ad

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.