Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wishbone balljoint on Avon - thread issue
joemotion

posted on 3/1/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Wishbone balljoint on Avon - thread issue

Hi, I recently purchased a 99% complete Avon and am finalising things prior to SVA. I have noticed that there is no additional thread appearing on the underside of the balljoint to the front wishbones - is this required for SVA? See pics

If this is the case can this nut be shortened and then split pinned or do i have to get new ball joints due to the ones tiger providing not being suitable??

Any help would be appreciated! Rescued attachment thread 1 resize.JPG
Rescued attachment thread 1 resize.JPG

joemotion

posted on 3/1/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
picy Rescued attachment thread 2 resize.JPG
Rescued attachment thread 2 resize.JPG

joemotion

posted on 3/1/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
another picy Rescued attachment nut resize.JPG
Rescued attachment nut resize.JPG

BenB

posted on 3/1/09 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
You sure the nuts is fully done up with the car bearing the full weight of the car? I had a similar problem with my car (I even had some nuts turned down into half-nuts) until I did the nuts up properly.....
prawnabie

posted on 3/1/09 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Was gonna say, the ball joint cover always looks like a rubber "donut" when the nut is fully done up.

Id try jacking the upright up an bit and putting a bit of weight on the top of the ball joint. It sounds like the pin is spinning in the upright as you try to do it up.

HTH

Shaun

rusty nuts

posted on 3/1/09 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Suspect you may have the wrong ball joints? Some do not have a long enough thread . Might be worth doing a search on here as this has been covered before giving the correct parts numbers IIRC .
BenB

posted on 3/1/09 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Looks to me like it's not fully engaged. I'd try jacking up from underneath the wishbone (as mentioned above) to try and make sure the BJ is fully into the taper in the upright. You might need to "wiggle" the ball joint when you do this- it's quite easy for the ball joint to be going in at an angle and jam slightly sideways. If you're jacking from below and you wiggle the BJ it might unstick and click futher into the taper. If you've jacked it up high from underneath you might need to "wiggle" it with the help of a few clunks from the sides with a rubber mallet...
britishtrident

posted on 3/1/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Check for dirt or paint on the female taper.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

rusty nuts

posted on 3/1/09 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Do a search for upper ball joint threads by The Doc 10/08/07 and also one by Ben B transit balljoints doesn't protrudefar into cortina upright 9/4/07 May be of help . Still haven't worked out how to put a link in.
mad-butcher

posted on 3/1/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
just an observation might save you problems later on, But SVA don't appear to like plain braided hoses, could graze your legs, would suggest spiral wrapping.

Tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 3/1/09 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Do a search for upper ball joint threads by The Doc 10/08/07 and also one by Ben B transit balljoints doesn't protrudefar into cortina upright 9/4/07 May be of help . Still haven't worked out how to put a link in.

They do when you do the nut up properly!! Doh!!!!

johns

posted on 30/1/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Avon thread issue

Hi thought I'd add that Tiger recognises this problem for some ball joints that don't have a long enough thread and suggest the drill and split pin route. The ball joints I fitted did have a long enough thread to show some on the other side of the nut so the nylon insert was locking the nut. The book from tiger has notes on this so it might be worth getting it. Also has suspension set up details, dimension etc. It does have a reputation for inacuracies in some the dimensions quoted on the chasis diagrams but still usefull for other bits. I'd try second hand on ebay or amazon its perhaps not worth full price but then some of the info will help you so take your pick I guess
Schrodinger

posted on 30/1/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
You could also try using a plain nut to pull the balljoint down then take it off and then put on the nyloc nut.

Keith
Aviemore

pocket rocket

posted on 30/1/09 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
i have the same problem with mine (rocket with cortina uprights) they dont seem to sit low enough in the upright and i was considering milling the uprights alittle at the top to fit the ball joint... would it just be better to get ball joints with longer threads then ?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.