Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: friday 13th disaster
froggy

posted on 13/2/09 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
friday 13th disaster

i havent used my kitten for a couple of months and its going up to highpower nitrous systems on monday to set up my new nitrous controller so i thought i would give it the once over . checked the water and it seemed a bit low so i started topping it up ,it took over a gallon and i thought that cant be right ? the last time it was run was on the dyno and did several power runs without getting hot . the car has two seperate sets of clocks and neither have gone over 80c even on a track day .so i decided to fire them up and the crankcases are full of water on both engines the only place oil and water could mix is through the water pump or head and base gaskets so it looks like ive blown both engines unless both water pumps have failed at the same time . the cooling syatems are linked and run to a uprated micra rad,ive monitored al the engine temps and they have always been constant on both engines. i should have left well alone

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

Hellfire

posted on 13/2/09 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Gutted for you But looking on the bright side, it's better you found out now than on Monday.

Phil

Howlor

posted on 13/2/09 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
It does seem odd that both have gone at the same time though. I can't think of any other area that the water could ingress.

Hopefully someone might come up with an idea.

Steve

froggy

posted on 13/2/09 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
i just cant understand how both engines would go at the same time ,luckily i have three spare engines so i can sort it but its a worry if there is an issue with the cooling system but ive gone over it with a laser thermometer and the temps are always constant throughout the system.

on a lighter note my business partner blew his m3 up after a track day at oulton park on saturday and it was still under warranty ,so he phones the trader to discuss the matter and the trader calls back an hour later saying i dont have to honour the warranty as you have been on a track day in the car.

how the flip does he know that we think and then he sends some pictures through clear as day of me and him in the car round oulton

makes me feel a bit better about blowing mine up

Hellfire

posted on 13/2/09 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch..... Was the registration plate visible?

Meeerrrk

posted on 13/2/09 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
if your car is under warrenty, cover up plates, remove tax disc and cover up VIN number which is visable through windscreen!!!

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

ashg

posted on 13/2/09 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
if there is no water in the system then the temp sender is not submersed in water meaning no temp reading!!

oil temp and block temp could have been off the roof but without water or oil and block senders you wouldnt know.

hopefully you have just warped something and nothing is cracked.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

froggy

posted on 13/2/09 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
temp sender is in the rad on the tl and i moved them to take a reading from the top hose just as it comes out of the engine and both were reading fine last time it was used . i will look at both water pumps when i get the engines out as i doubt it is an issue with the engines and given the ease that it filled the crankcases it must be the pump as i ran both engines while filling the system up today and got no pressure coming back up to the rad to indicate a head gasket problem

hellfire there are lovely pics of the reg plate .we googled the event and got pictures of the car from a few different sources ,someone told me that people go and photo cars on trackdays and sell the info to insurance companies. i did spot a few cars that had taken there plates off on the day ,for good reason it turns out

froggy

posted on 13/2/09 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
i may have caused this myself as im not sure if ive put much antifreeze in and there are core plugs in the head and that would explain why both engines are letting water into the oil

tks

posted on 14/2/09 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froggy
i may have caused this myself as im not sure if ive put much antifreeze in and there are core plugs in the head and that would explain why both engines are letting water into the oil

that where my thoughts but i thought nahhh that one is noob....

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

froggy

posted on 14/2/09 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
its all coming back now i had a hose pop off last summer and must have filled it with water and not topped up the antifreeze .two core plugs have popped out ,one on each engine so apart from a big mess to clear up no harm done

i should know better being a mechanic but hey ho !!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.