Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: changing chassis number
antonyg

posted on 5/3/09 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
changing chassis number

Hi , can someone offer me any advice please,
i built from scratch so made up my own chassis number, submitted this to DVLA before my SVA test, this was accepted and then i passed SVA, so i went to leeds DVLA on monday for the inspection and the person that inspected it said either the manufacturer or DVLA had to issue a chassis number, i argued that i was the manufacturer and that DVLA have already approved my number as i submitted it to them before sva. He said he would then check with dvla swansea. I then get a phone call today saying we have issued you a new number which needs stamping into the chassis, the details are in the post.
I would obviously rather keep my original number which is stamped on the chassis and on all the sva paperwork with VOSA

will changing the chassis number cause me problems with VOSA?
would i be within my rights to insist i keep my original number?
should i phone swansea myself direct and sort it out?
I will be phoning the guy at leeds tommorrow morning, but he's not very helpful all he says is " i don't make the desicions i just submit the paperwork"

Thanks Antony

Paul TigerB6

posted on 5/3/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I guess the big question is do you have written confirmation of the acceptability of your original chassis number??

mad-butcher

posted on 5/3/09 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
That it seems to me is the problem dealing with the DVLA first.
I made my own up submitted it to Vosa sva'd with my number, issued with MAC, if they wish to then change it then I have proof that it is the same vehicle

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dogwood

posted on 5/3/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Antony.

I'm afraid I cant give you any advice, but
I can tell you I did the same as you at Maidstone DVLA.
It was accepted without any problem at all.

I suppose it depends how keen you are to keep your own number.

I don't think it will be a problem as far as the SVA is concerned.
As long as the DVLA accept the MAC with the old number on it.

HTH David

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Dangle_kt

posted on 5/3/09 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
ooooo...sticky one.

Why not try another office? Seems each office has their own rules for everything.

wilkingj

posted on 5/3/09 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
There is NO reason why you cannot make up your own Chassis Number.

However it MUST conform to the standard (not sure of ALL the rules).

Certainly:
No i (eye) and No o (Oh) they will only accept ONE's and Zero's.

I think it has to be 17 characters long and mix of letters and numbers.
And preferably unique.

DVLA dont know if they are drilled, punched, or bored, and couldnt organise a P*ss up in a Brewery.

Good Luck, and dont give in.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 5/3/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Do everything in writing. Send DVLA a letter, explaining that you have already had your chassis number verbally approved by them and that the number has been stamped onto your chassis and detailed on all the paperwork that you've had to complete, including the MAC certificate.

Provided the chassis number is unique and conforms to DVLA requirements for alpha/numerics, they shouldn't have a problem. Make a formal complaint and keep escalating it until you reach a satisfactory resolution.

Just make sure you do everything in writing.

Phil

antonyg

posted on 5/3/09 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies
i will write a letter to DVLA as i think i should be able to keep the chassis number
i just dont want to have to change it for it to cause me problems with VOSA at a later date

Thanks Antony

frankie boy

posted on 5/3/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I had to change my chassis number as they wouldn’t give me an age related plate.
With a Q plate they give you a VRO number. I did my at borehamwood office but was told that this is the policy of DLVA.

antonyg

posted on 5/3/09 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
they have already agreed i can have an age related plate, just need to get this chassis number sorted
i suppose it doesnt help that the inspector at Leeds only took over the job last month and doesnt seem to know whats what as he also was insisting i need an MOT before they will tax it, so thats another thing i need sort out getting him to understand that i dont need MOT as its just registered

Thanks

COREdevelopments

posted on 5/3/09 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
i done the same mistake by speaking to face to face with chap from swansea. a real cocky chap to be honest. said there was no way i would get my chassis number accepted, he made it quite clear that he was the one dishing out chassis numbers!!
so came on here to discuss my problem and was told to stay clear from swansea and proceed with my own chassis number and after sva go straight to cardiff local office (which was only 9 miles away from test centre). when i spoke to the bloke in charge of registrations he told me to fill out as much as i can and he did the rest in 15 mins i was all legal with a Q and my own chassis number!!
good luck i say. its all down to the chap at the offfice really and whether or not he got something large stuck up his arse!

atb

Rob

BenB

posted on 5/3/09 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'd tell the DVLA to f.off.
After all if you import a Jap car with 15 digits they don't change the number they just suck it up like a good'un.
Ask them to confirm that the VIN number is already in use. If they can't (which is statistically likely) and you haven't used any prohibited digits ask them on what grounds they're refusing to accept your VIN number.
Unfortunately it appears the bureucratic nazis at DVLA have taken hold... My local DVLA office said I'd have to change my VIN number and REDO SVA (FFS!!!) on my new number. A quick formal complaint and application for compensation later (on grounds of paying for insurance on a car I couldn't drive on the roads due to their stupidity) and apparantly this wasn't needed..... It clearly shouldn't have to get to that stage but hey. F'em..... IF they weren't such a load of incompetent idiots it wouldn't be necessary.

PS your mileage may vary, I believe some DVLA local offices are quite nice. Elstree + Borehamwood, however, appear to be staffed by anally retentive, obstructive, obnoxious half-wits with a sum total of two brain cells to rub together.... e.g. at my "inspection" I asked "what road tax will I pay?", Mr Inspector said "I guess it if's a bike engine you'll pay motorbike road tax"....

ReMan

posted on 5/3/09 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Not exactly constructive , but

COCK'S

antonyg

posted on 6/3/09 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Ask them to confirm that the VIN number is already in use. If they can't (which is statistically likely) and you haven't used any prohibited digits ask them on what grounds they're refusing to accept your VIN number.
Unfortunately it appears the bureucratic nazis at DVLA have taken hold... My local DVLA office said I'd have to change my VIN number and REDO SVA (FFS!!!) on my new number. A quick formal complaint and application for compensation later (on grounds of paying for insurance on a car I couldn't drive on the roads due to their stupidity) and apparantly this wasn't needed..... It clearly shouldn't have to get to that stage but hey. F'em..... IF they weren't such a load of incompetent idiots it wouldn't be necessary.

good point think i will as them to check if my number is already in use

as for redoing SVA with new chassis number not a chance, looks like i am going to have to phone him and put some pressure on him to accept my number

Thanks Antony

02GF74

posted on 6/3/09 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
you don't need to redo SVA.

what my local office said.

VIN
VIN

^^^^ that's better.

[Edited on 6/3/09 by 02GF74]

antonyg

posted on 6/3/09 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
all sorted now, after a couple of emails and phone calls, i can keep my chassis number and an mot is not needed until 3 years after date of SVA i was told

Thanks Antony

cloudy

posted on 6/3/09 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Result!

www.warnercars.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.