Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sneaky 3 wiper fix
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sneaky 3 wiper fix

I got pulled by the fuzz and fined yet again £30 for my continuing insistence to have a huge black strip across the top of the windscreen even though its still level with the bottom of the sun visors. I like it cos I get headaches from the sun due over sensitive eye's (even bright streetlights at night are a struggle). I always remove it for the MOT cos its a fail due to the swept wiper area and that what the cops keep charging me on

So I was thinking, why not fit 3 wipers like the falcon has so the swept area is just under the stripe and its all the visible glass is swept and then it I suppose should pass the MOT too?

That’s the thing though...what would be the windscreen area?

1) The visible area underneath the stripe

or

2) The whole glass?

Any ideas?? Now the law knows my car they spot it easily, so I’m just going to get fined more and more Rescued attachment bluevisor.JPG
Rescued attachment bluevisor.JPG

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know about the wipers - but could you make the images in your signature strip a bit narrower? I have a big monitor, and the frame's still going off the side!

BTW: Does being "pulled by the fuzz" make your eyes water?

[Edited on 9/4/09 by David Jenkins]

r1_pete

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
How about a visor like this: Rescued attachment Visor.jpg
Rescued attachment Visor.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
So you have been fined more than once and yet keep driving with an obscured windscreen???

yeah

they just keep fining me, bit of a pest. Orignally the strip was white then I changed it to black but they still object, you'd think there was no real crimes going on...

That better David? bug animation is gone...

r1_pete

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Don't know about the wipers - but could you make the images in your signature strip a bit narrower? I have a big monitor, and the frame's still going off the side!

BTW: Does being "pulled by the fuzz" make your eyes water?

[Edited on 9/4/09 by David Jenkins]

Centres fine on my lappie or 17" monitor, are you using the correct resolution for your screen ?

hellbent345

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
i dont think you can work around it with that, they will still say its too low, it does seem a mighty large stripe! Best thing i would say is make some sort of flip down thing inside that if they pull you up for, you can flip up and say have a nice day officer. Doesnt look good, but will stop the sensitive eye thing?

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
How about a visor like this:

I know the bluebirds crap looking but that might actually make it worse

those are fine on very old style cars, my bugs going to get one. I like the stripe, just need to make it legal

David Jenkins

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
All looks good now! It's a 19" monitor, using whatever it decides is the optimum resolution... 1280 x 1024.

Mr Whippy - what about a pair of sunglasses? That's what I do!

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hellbent345
i dont think you can work around it with that, they will still say its too low, it does seem a mighty large stripe! Best thing i would say is make some sort of flip down thing inside that if they pull you up for, you can flip up and say have a nice day officer. Doesnt look good, but will stop the sensitive eye thing?

yeah that might be a plan, could then take off the factory binds and have a pull down roller blind inside.

good idea

deezee

posted on 9/4/09 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
LOL whats wrong with dark glasses? How do you manage with a kit car then?
blakep82

posted on 9/4/09 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
i get the same problem, so i always drive with my sun visor down too. always. i don't see why a sun strip should be a problem, but what if you made it out of window tint film? its tinted, but it still see through

[Edited on 9/4/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

LoMoss

posted on 9/4/09 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
How about shorter wipers
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/09 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LoMoss
How about shorter wipers

well thats exactly what I was going to do, maybe I didn't make that clear come to think of it...

yeah 3 wipers, beatle/mini etc so they cover all the visible glass.

I get a sore nose with glasses on and I hate the distraction. I'm fine if in a convertable as everythings bright. Rather its like taking a picture of a window from inside a room, the window is dazzling in the dark room but take it outside and everything is fine. Its the dazzle that give me headaches.

Tiger Super Six

posted on 9/4/09 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
So,

Daylight is a problem
Night is a problem (because of streetlights)
and glasses make your nose sore.

I'd go to the Dr's and ask what he can do for you!

If I was PC plod I think I would chuckle at that little list

Mark

Tiger Avon

LoMoss

posted on 9/4/09 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'll call vetinary
RK

posted on 9/4/09 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Although buying sunglasses in Scotland might be a stretch, as they are so rarely needed, Fleabay ought to help you out. Otherwise, I am sure those awful people to the south of you will appreciate your continued tax donations.
jacko

posted on 9/4/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
You was a bus driver Scott ? fit a sun blind like buses have
Mark G

posted on 9/4/09 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Tecnically speaking for an MOT you can't have an obstruction any greater than 10mm in zone A of the windscreen (about the width of the steering wheel infront of the driver). But it also states that this is within the swept area so if you fit smaller wipers the swept area is reduced as a result. An MOT tester could still argue that the view of the road is obsured as could pc plod.

To be honest, If you cant wear glasses, tint your windows or anything else, have you thought about a motorbike helmet with a tinted visor??

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.