Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do I need to mark the start and end of my VIN number?
eznfrank

posted on 16/2/10 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Do I need to mark the start and end of my VIN number?

I'm going to stamp my VIN into the chassis and I just wondered whether I should be perhaps marking the start and end of it in any way. The IVA manual doesn;t mention it so I'm inclined not to but I have seen it done both ways before.

eg -

MKINDYZX12R123456

or

*MKINDYZX12R123456*

dunk3

posted on 16/2/10 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Just out of intrest where on the car are you stamping the vin number, as i need to do mine, can you just make up a number or do you have to have one allowcated by dvla or vosa
matt_gsxr

posted on 16/2/10 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
No need for anything clever at the start or end.

If you are thinking of using the described number then you might want to check that this number has not been used already.

It would be sad to see a "how do I unstamp my chassis" thread.

I included a few random digits in mine to be sure. You could change the 123456 to your phone number.

Matt

eznfrank

posted on 16/2/10 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, should have said that I have a VIN already issued by the DVLA, the one above is just a made up one.

Dunc - The DVLA offices seem to vary, but Leeds insisted I used theirs.

I am going to weld it onto a small plate on the drivers side chassis in the engine bay - which from memory is correct according to the IVA manual but I will double check first.

[Edited on 16/2/10 by eznfrank]

wilkingj

posted on 16/2/10 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I got my VIN from Luego.

If its a home made VIN then it needs to conform to the rules.

There is a minimum length.
I also believe there are no O's or I's, only Zero's and One's (as they can be confused)
I found this out at the MoT station when they tried to find it on the system.

Although I had no info on anything either side of the number when stamped on the chassis, I put three "-" minus signs either side to prevent any additional stamping next to the VIN on the chassis.
I dont think this is a requirement. But mine passed with it done that way.

Check the IVA manual, and with the DVLA.
You should be able to get a VIN from the Chassis provider (Kit company). Speak to them!!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 16/2/10 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

If you are thinking of using the described number then you might want to check that this number has not been used already.

Ask Wilkingj about that one. He and someone else had the same vin IIRC.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

02GF74

posted on 16/2/10 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj

There is a minimum length.
I also believe there are no O's or I's, only Zero's and One's (as they can be confused)

some of your beliefs are correct but not all.

letter I got from local DVLA - and seeminlgy each local office make up their own rules

VIN
VIN

cd.thomson

posted on 16/2/10 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
No wonder you got into kit cars 02GF74! You were born to do it from the looks of things.

Craig

omega 24 v6

posted on 16/2/10 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
My Dvla issued VIn came in a letter which said "You must now arrange to stamp the chassis number below ( including Asteriks ) onto the frame of the vehicle."

Also it said to get it done by a local garage and they had to stamp a slip at the bottom of the letter.

I have to say it was all done by me and the local garage stamped the slip but it was IMHO efficient and no problem whatsoever.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Canada EH!

posted on 16/2/10 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
The star shaped things at the front and back of the factory VIN are Rosette Rivets, they are supposed to be hard to obtain.
matt_claydon

posted on 16/2/10 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
This is the legislation that applies to mass-produced vehicles (on which UK requirements are based):

quote:

Vehicle identification number

The vehicle identification number is a fixed combination of characters assigned to each vehicle by the manufacturer. Its purpose is to ensure that every vehicle can be clearly identified over a period of 30 years through the intermediary of the manufacturer, without there being a need for reference to further data. The vehicle identification number must conform to the following requirements:

3.1. It must be marked on the manufacturer's plate, and also on the chassis, frame, or other similar structure.

3.1.1. It must consist of two sections: the first, composed of not more than six characters (letters or figures), identifying the general characteristics of the vehicle, in particular the type and model; the second, composed of eight characters of which the first four may be letters or figures and the other four figures only, providing, in conjunction with the first section, clear identification of a particular vehicle.

3.1.2. It must wherever possible be marked on a single line. As an exception, for technical reasons, it may also be marked on two lines. However, in this case there must be no gaps within either of the two sections.

There must be no spaces between the characters.

In the second section, any unused position must be filled by a zero in order to obtain the required total of eight characters.

The beginning and end of each line must be marked by a symbol which is neither an arabic numeral nor a roman capital letter and which cannot be confused with either. It is also permissible to place such a symbol between the two sections on one line (3.1.1).

[...]
quote:

4.2. For the vehicle identification number:

4.2.1. Use of the letters i, o and q and dashes, asterisks and other special signs, other than the symbols referred to in the final paragraph of 3.1.2, is not permitted;

Lightning

posted on 23/4/10 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
o2gf74, your letter states 9 -17 digits. Which is what my application form said. However, mine was returned saying it now had to be 17 digits. After many phone calls I was told to make up the last digits to the 17.

So note:......must be 17 digits

Steve

David Jenkins

posted on 23/4/10 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
When I first enquired about SVA I included a bit in my letter saying "I propose to use the following as a VIN - is this OK?" and they said yes (in writing!).

I would have kicked up a big storm if they had turned around and said that it wasn't acceptable.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.