Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Does Hazard Switch have to be visible?
JC

posted on 14/5/13 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Does Hazard Switch have to be visible?

Hello once again to the all knowledgeable collective!

I am trying to find the best position for my Koso dash. I had an old set of column stalks where the hazard light switch was broken so planned to mount the dash behind the steering wheel, which meant i could see everything, but would have to wire in a new hazard switch. I have just got hold of a new set of stalks, as i wanted the horn switch on the indicators - the hazard switch is intact on these and it would be much easier to use this switch, with the light connected to the warning light on the dashboard. However, this means either moving the digidash or for the switch to be hidden behind the dash - readily accessible though!

So, my question is (finally) for IVA do you have to be able to see the hazard switch from your normal seated position?

Thanks in anticipation!

JC

[img] Hazardswitch
Hazardswitch
[/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 14/5/13 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know for a fact, but logic would suggest it must be visible as it's the indicator as well as the switch. That said, the direction indicators flashing together might overcome that issue.

deezee

posted on 14/5/13 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Your control must be clearly visible and not cause confusion. You also need a tell tale indicator visible from the driving position. So I'd expect your proposal to fail the IVA

JC

posted on 14/5/13 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Aha, hadn't found the 'clearly visible' bit - that would certainly scupper it! - can you give me the reference in the IVA manual please, just for completeness?

[Edited on 14/5/13 by JC]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 14/5/13 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
There is no requirement for the switch to be clearly visable from the drivers seated position, only the telltale.

[Edited on 14-5-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

deezee

posted on 14/5/13 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
OK, so to QUOTE the IVA guidance....

For the Identification of Controls, Section 33...... discussing the symbol and tell tale (but not the actual physical button / switch!)

1.Must be clear so not to cause confusion.
2.Must be on or as close to the controls, tell-tales and indicators as possible as not to cause confusion.
3.Must stand out clearly from the background.

So the symbol must satisfy the above. Your symbol is clearly obscured. So while technically you could argue with the IVA man you can have a obscured control, you can't argue over the symbol and tell tale.

However, I'm not the IVA inspector and they might interpret the requirements in a more favourable way. But I'm not going to hand out advice saying its fine, that could cost you a lot of time and money to rectify an IVA fail.

JC

posted on 14/5/13 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, as I thought, no clear ruling on the switch. Do I feel lucky............probably not!
theduck

posted on 14/5/13 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Mount a seperate switch and avoid failing. You'd kick yourself if you failed on that and nothing else.
britishtrident

posted on 14/5/13 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
There is no requirement for the switch to be clearly visable from the drivers seated position, only the telltale.

[Edited on 14-5-13 by loggyboy]

Yes dosen't have to be in direct vision it is mounted on the centre console beside handbrake on some production cars, no tell tale either just left and right indicator tell-tale. s working together.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

40inches

posted on 14/5/13 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
You can't see mine from the normal driving position, it is hidden by the steering wheel, I had to show the examiner were it was,
"that's ok then" his words.

loggyboy

posted on 14/5/13 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
Thanks, as I thought, no clear ruling on the switch. Do I feel lucky............probably not!

Yes its clear there is no ruling! As mentioned above, the two indicator arrows can flash in place of the hazard triangle for the telltale, so just dont wire the light part of the switch up for IVA, then your telltales are officially the indicator lights.

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 14/5/13 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
OK, so to QUOTE the IVA guidance....

For the Identification of Controls, Section 33...... discussing the symbol and tell tale (but not the actual physical button / switch!)

1.Must be clear so not to cause confusion.
2.Must be on or as close to the controls, tell-tales and indicators as possible as not to cause confusion.
3.Must stand out clearly from the background.

So the symbol must satisfy the above. Your symbol is clearly obscured. So while technically you could argue with the IVA man you can have a obscured control, you can't argue over the symbol and tell tale.

However, I'm not the IVA inspector and they might interpret the requirements in a more favourable way. But I'm not going to hand out advice saying its fine, that could cost you a lot of time and money to rectify an IVA fail.

Nothing in the above states it needs to be seen from the driving position though. The only time the term driving position or similar is used in reference to controls or telltales is for ; brake fluid warning light, rear fog telltale, and reverse control.

Mistral Motorsport

JC

posted on 17/5/13 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, this sounds better.

The Fiesta donor had one light for both directions on the indicators, IE a double ended arrow. This will flash when hazards are selected, as well as the light in the switch. As far as I. Can make out, just the double arrow flashing is OK for IVA - remove bulb from the switch to avoid any confusion and that is job done?

Thanks everyone for the input so far..

loggyboy

posted on 17/5/13 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
Ok, this sounds better.

The Fiesta donor had one light for both directions on the indicators, IE a double ended arrow. This will flash when hazards are selected, as well as the light in the switch. As far as I. Can make out, just the double arrow flashing is OK for IVA - remove bulb from the switch to avoid any confusion and that is job done?

Thanks everyone for the input so far..

I dont think the bulb would need to be removed, however, in the possible/likely event you encouter pedantic inspector, I would remove it. Then just put it back in post IVA.
And yes a double flashing light will surfice, it doesnt even have to be one bulb either, as long as the two flash together and (IMO) are symetrical/close ish (ie each side fo a dial or dash) Again, it down to the 'not to cause confusion' standard.

[Edited on 17-5-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

JC

posted on 17/5/13 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Life just got a whole lot easier then!

Fingers crossed they don't change the rules by the time I get to IVA!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.